Anyone remember the US-based Camel 110?

JackW

Explorer
I know of a genuine Camel Trophy 90 that's owned by a Land Rover enthusiast in South Carolina. It was used in the 1985 Borneo event - the one where they had to drive up a river channel because the roads were impassable and the water reached the drivers chest inside the truck.

RJ Reynolds brought the truck to the USA and used it in a bunch of print ads in the late 1980's - I heard they paid a fine to the EPA for bringing in a non-compliant vehicle. They auctioned the truck off in the mid 1990's after it sat in a warehouse for a few years. When the owner bought it there was still a good bit of Borneo mud left in odd corners of the Land Rover (including the headliner). It's a normally aspirated 2.5 diesel and still had all the Camel Trophy gear on it. I think Charlie paid around $12,000 for it back then.

Dmarchand

Adventurer
I guess its a matter of opinion, but That its exactly what I liked about the truck. It was clearly the real deal, dents and all. The 'goodies' are just bolts ons and can be replaced, but the dents were earned!

-Jeff

Oh, I agree. I just can't justify the $$ for something that is illegal, stripped down and a shell of its' former self. Of course, it is all opinion and someone else clearly bought it.

nickt

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0009
http://www.britishcarservice.net/about.html has a CT110. If memory serves it was the medical / doctors vehicle and was rebuilt from a container of parts.

I'd like to know what the parts were, like did they just take the engine out and roll the body into a container, or did they have many bags of bolts...

Nick, what about the CT disco at the rally? Do you know the owner?

Yeah, that's Randy's truck, here are some photos.

I know of a genuine Camel Trophy 90

Super rare, would love to see that one.

Cheers,
Nick.

RoverMack

Adventurer
I'd like to know what the parts were, like did they just take the engine out and roll the body into a container, or did they have many bags of bolts...

Cheers,
Nick.

Not sure how it arrived but it has been rebuilt and has the orginal CT bits.
I drove one of the CT press vehicles for a while around London a few years ago,
Scan0006.tif

Ronct110

Adventurer
It is now back in NorCal and owned by Ron B. The PO had replaced (updated) the engine to a (correction) 200tdi and it has been gone through. It is now a really nice truck.

Hi Steve and Folks!

Yes, it back in CA legally registered as 1990 Land Rover Defender 110 and labeled Diesel.

It was a lot of work; working with a professional importer, FED/DOT, DMV, etc... (Domingo did all the work).

2nd owner helped upgrade a lot of the old compoments including e.g. old 200 TDI to new replacement 200 TDI, new R380 5 speed manual transmission and LT230... list goes on; still the truck is original e.g. chasis, body... even have the original fire extinguisher and recovery rope that came with truck.

I am the 3rd owner; it was involved in the 1990 Camel Trophy event in Siberia as one of the support/scout vehicles.

Much tougher now I understand to bring these type of vehicles here vs back then when Domingo brought had it imported in the early 90s.

Cheers!

Not that truck of course. This is the one I imported . 13k kms on the odometer (less than 8000 miles all won the hard way).

Attachments

• Ct truck.jpg
    Ct truck.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 111

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
she's a peach Doug, 30 years sitting in a museum in Holland I heard...
Scout truck in the Himalayas in '89 I believe

tommyd

Observer
Dang, I was hoping you guys would know more of the story. When I was going down to visit SG on a regular basis Greg was working on it. I know he assembled it from a container of parts that was brought into the US. He mentioned it was for a client up in the Bay Area but I don't remember the lucky bloke's name. Sure was a nice truck and Greg really did some good work on it. I'd love to get the story and see her in person again, beautiful truck!

I've seen this one in person in the bay area. Awesome truck. Now has a 2.8 powerstroke. I've met the owner, but not sure he'd want me to name him.

lateapex

I've seen this one in person in the bay area. Awesome truck. Now has a 2.8 powerstroke. I've met the owner, but not sure he'd want me to name him.

This one you are talking about is my good friends... I have done all of the work on it since he received it from SG. I drove it to the last NCLR annual event

RBBailey

Observer
I believe there are at least two in N. California, maybe three. The third may have been a visitor.

Ron's 110 was imported whole, not by him. He is on this board.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz