Anyone use a '84-'85 Defender as a Dailey Driver?

LC4Dakar

Adventurer
(in the US)

Thinking seriously of getting a turbo diesel, but have limited garage space so I will need to use it for running around town, errands, etc. as well as its' real purpose.
I work out of my house, so no real commuting. And will have the wife's Highlander for normal transportation requirements.

Experiences?
Thoughts?
Big mistake?

WoldD90

Adventurer
There are a few guys over on www.d-90.com that might be able to answer that question.

A lot will be determined on the condition of the truck, the motor, the modifications and your need for Air-Conditioning and heat.

If you have a 200/300 TDI, and can retrofit AC, you would be fine, slow but fine.

You can update/upgrade the seats and add some creature comforts, it is very do-able.

My wife drove our SW around for a couple of years, but it was not a significant amount of miles per week.

Scott

Maryland 110

Adventurer
I do and have for 3 plus years.
Scott's used to driving high powered v8 slingshots:Wow1:. The Tdi's are great road engines and very reliable-amazingly so, and depending on gearing, capable of sustained 80+ mph speeds for those of us more sensitive to our carbon footprint than my friend from Georgia. The turbo diesel wasn't the greatest but better than the natural 2.5's and those-well they are 2.5 naturals. Its kind of like looking @ driving anything 25yrs old as a daily driver. If you are mechanically inclined (guessing you are if you own an early seven) and do preventative things like regular fluid changes, replace leaky seals before things burn up, repack wheel bearings, change u joints etc the trucks respond very well. The difference of course is that some parts aren't readily available.

Last edited:

revor

Explorer
Every single day I drive my Defender (s) Wouldn't have it any other way. The 90 is a hoot and the 110 is an RV, our "fancy" car is a mildly modded D1...
For errands and around town a 90 is hard to beat! I'd at least look to get a 200Tdi though.

Roverx

Observer
daily driver

I have used a 300 tdi Series/Defender hybrid as a daily driver for the last 8 years and just touched 100K. I did a 2500 mile trip early this year and will do a 3000k trip to Moab in Oct. It also picked up the kids as school today and went to Public's to get milk.

As long as you service it no problem.

As I'm getting old, I have added heated seats, complete sound system and extra comfy stuff where ever I can. I also have a AC and Webasto waiting to be installed.

Now my wife also has a 03 VW Tdi jetta wagon so I do have backup but it's what I get into everyday.

Not perfect. Its' loud, hot in the summer, cold in the winter, and drives like a truck but I would not have it any other way.

Best of luck
Scott

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
My 130 is a 88 but there is no real differences between those years, essentially the same. Until a few months ago I was driving my truck as my DD. My wife drove the Pilot and I drove the 130. I drove it for 6 years in Los Angeles traffic, trips to the Sierra's and the Desert, skiing and climbing trips and dropping the kids off at school, can you guess which car my kids preferred to get dropped off in:)

To make things easier I insulated the crap out of it with a Dynamat knock-off, insulated the headliner, floor, bulkhead, doors, seat boxes, hood and under seat storage space. I use a insulation blanket in the engine compartment attached to the bulkhead to reduce noise and heat. All this made a HUGE difference. This made the truck much cooler inside and much quieter. I can hold a conversation while cruising at 70mph and enjoy my Son's of the Pioneers on the stereo.

To improve the power I pulled out the twin SU carbs and installed a Edelbrock intake manifold and Edelbrock 4 barrel carb. Much better.

For those hot days I use a swamp cooler from www.swampy.net
I can now drive in the desert or LA heat in comfort, it's the cheapest solution besides buying a AC unit.

Sorry for the long reply but i know that driving a older Defender is like driving a old tractor and any improvement in making it more comfortable and drivable is well worth it.

LC4Dakar

Adventurer
Great! Sounds doable.
I am looking at a 200 TDI. Keep forgetting there are just plain turbo diesels.
Sound insulation sounds like a good idea. Wife will want air, I'm sure.

Thanks all.

Maryland 110

Adventurer
Great! Sounds doable.
I am looking at a 200 TDI. Keep forgetting there are just plain turbo diesels.
Sound insulation sounds like a good idea. Wife will want air, I'm sure.

Thanks all.

Disco or defender engine ? The disco engine is much easier to add a/c to as it uses the same type mounts as the 300 tdi for which a kit is readily available from Bearmach or Elite.
The difference is that 200's use v belts and 300's are serpentine but thats easily overcome. Best of luck with your purchase. Sound deadening and a/c go a long ways to change the personality of these trucks.

RETROFIT

Observer
I have bene using my 200tdi Defender 110 for the last two years and would not have it any other way. I use it to haul my trailer around for construction and renovation tools and material and pretty much everything else. It performs really well when fully loaded and I don't see much need for more power than what I already have.

I tweeked the intercooler and injection pump and it gives me plenty to go around for my taste.

Pat

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
I've used my Defenders as DD since '93, but the last couple I have split between the Discos and the Defenders. Great trucks, lots of idiosyncrosis, but just plain fun to drive. Even for an old fart with a horrible back and a total knee. But do go with a 200 or 300 for sure- I HATED my CT w/ the 2.5TD, as did Doug:) Would have replaced with a 200, but couldn't alter the thing in good concious. Sorry to ramble....

leafsprung

If you have a 200/300 TDI, and can retrofit AC, you would be fine

:xxrotflma

Yeah anything less and you risk having to go the speed limit and possibly the discomfort of dare I say . . . non conditioned air. Im sure an exotic luxo-ute would be suitable for "errands" Your maid might even like it.

Last edited:

Maryland 110

Adventurer
I've used my Defenders as DD since '93, but the last couple I have split between the Discos and the Defenders. Great trucks, lots of idiosyncrosis, but just plain fun to drive. Even for an old fart with a horrible back and a total knee. But do go with a 200 or 300 for sure- I HATED my CT w/ the 2.5TD, as did Doug:) Would have replaced with a 200, but couldn't alter the thing in good concious. Sorry to ramble....

Yeah but now that Camel Trophy 110 is for sale again @ a very attractive price and I just got you a Defender 200 tdi drive train......
2nd ownership is a charm I hear.

buyrovers

Adventurer
Started daily driving some tdi trucks but evolved into a td5 which is monumentally more useable. A/C is a big plus here so that helped too. The tdi's are very streetable and if you slip in some a/c they start to feel downright civilized.

Chuck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach