Anyone using a 2nd gen 1500 ram

frumpy

Explorer
I'm considering one of these for my next build platform. (I can't seem to keep a vehicle for more than a year for some reason but hoping to change that with my next non-dd rig).

I like that these come with solid axles front and rear, dana 44 front and 9.25 rear (both strong and easily upgraded, lots of after market support) and you can pretty much bolt in 3/4 or 1 ton axles. Stock should be able to handle 35s and if I do a custom bed and bumper approach/departure angles should be good. Wheel base is a little long but skids can fix that.

Any input or pics?

thinking of something along these lines

rangerradius1767.jpg

attachment.php

Dodge001.jpg

MNDodge

Observer
I have an 01 1500. Overall they are good rigs.

I'd look for a 5.9 over the 5.2, there are a few minor issues with the motor that have easy fixes and they can run forever. The auto tranny's suck, you can pretty much count on a rebuild. There are a few companies out there that offer rebuilt bulletproof ones, but they do cost a pretty penny. The d44 front is not the best for a full-size rig, but can be made strong enough to get by, and like you said 1 tons can be swapped in easily. They can be lifted 3" for dirt cheap and 5-7" for quite a bit cheaper than an ifs rig. Probably the nicest thing about them is they are cheaper used than a comparable chevy, toyota, ect.

www.Pavementsucks.com is a good place to go for info on Dodge trucks.

Hope this helps.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I just bought a 2000 2500 4x4 quadcab with built tranny, rebuilt Dana 60s in both ends, 4.10 gears, leveling kit, airbags, new 33" BFG ATs, clean body and interior for $5k. If you can find a better starting point for the money, I'd be surprised! These are great rigs. Not followed by "loyalists" as much as Ford or Chevs, but I think they are best bang for buck. I am going to bolt on 35" KM2s and be pretty much done... Well, maybe ARB lockers and a winch... and...

Attachments

• Dodge beach.JPG
    Dodge beach.JPG
    363.3 KB · Views: 33

Rot Box

Explorer
I really enjoyed my 01 2500 and it did very well offroad. For the money and the equipment that comes with them I would just go for the 2500-3500 and get the best of everything (ahem--Cummins) instead of upgrading the 1500 to that level. IMO you need the bigger axles (and the stronger trans/t-case is a huge plus) if you plan on bigger tires than stock.

Andrew

frumpy

Explorer
Thanks for the info. I have mainly been looking at pirate which doesn't help much with reality as most have one tons and 40s.

The immediate plans would be small lift, trimming and 35s.

The price and what these trucks come with is the main reason for looking at them. In my area I can pretty much pick up one with little or no work to put on the road and decent km for under $2000. As for the 3/4 and 1 tons the cheapest 4x4 one I found within 350km is $3600 and has 400,000km and a transmission issue. Next cheapest was $4500 and a gasser. Also, on top of that I know these trucks aren't light but half ton to 3/4 ton with cummins is an extra 1000lbs. For a wheeling rig I really don't feel a diesel is needed. The only real plus side I see with them is the stronger transmission (and to me thats not worth $2500 and an extra 1000lbs when it could be built or possibly swapped?)

ps redthies, that trucks beautiful

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Thanks! I think the gasser is fine for most things. While I would love to stuff a 12 valve in the new truck, my 94 with 12v, fuel plate mod, bhaf, and billet HD auto trans gets about the same mileage as the 5.9 gas engine. I know this sounds wrong, but the extra fuel flow and extra weight and rotating mass with all the HD parts in the tranny really eats at the fuel economy. The 5.9 gas gets around 13-14 mpg if I drive it sanely, and the diesel is getting 14-15mpg.
If you only want to run 35s, you can do it with just a leveling kit from Revtek that only costs $150. I don't know if that is the same for the 1/2 ton. I think if you wait and shop, you can find a gem like mine. If you don't buy one that is lifted, think about shopping in the US. It is SUPER easy to bring them across. Good luck with the search!

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
The only reason I would do a 1500 would be for a short bed regular cab. All the other versions can be had in the 2500 versions.

If you do end up doing a 1500, the best possible axle upgrade I have seen is the 01.5-02 2500 axles. You get a non-disconnect front housing with knuckles that will accept the 03+ brakes. In the rear you can get a D70 with factory disc brakes WITH internal parking brake. Both of which are basically a bolt in.
These can be found on Car-part.com for less than you would think.

They offer glass fenders for the 2nd gen trucks that will allow you to run bigger tires with almost no lift. The 2nd gen trucks seem to have a much worse time with 35" tires at the rear of the front opening than 3rd gen trucks.

Since the body/cowl/firewall is much the same as the 2500, you could also do a 4bt swap in one. I always thought that would be neat. 1500 shortbox with 02 2500 axles and a 4bt cummins would be a SWEET ride.

frumpy

Explorer
redthies - not too concerned on mileage, its a lifted truck running mud tires and not daily driven

metcalf - lots of good info, thanks. From the research I've done they 3/4 and 1 tons are longer and wider. I'd ideally like extended cab short box, if not reg cab short box. My only concern with glass fenders is bumping into a tree and being out $500 rather than a little dent.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I am not super worried about mpgs either, but when people start talking about weight etc, that is the usual reason. I would still love a 6bt 5 speed just 'cause I love to drive them!

frumpy

Explorer
The reason I want to stay light is to be less of a pig on the trails. I still want to be able to wheel with the smaller vehicles (like SWB Jeeps) and be able to have them still recover me. Also a dove tail or flat bed will reduce the amount of sheet metal damage on the tighter trails.

As for the fenders, is there any other options that fiberglass fenders? How well do they hold up to bumps or rubs? I think a leveling kit and bump stops should be able to clear 35s though. If not I'll just bring out the sawzall (we need a smiley with a sawzall lol)

Snafu

Adventurer
I've got a 3rd Gen with the 5.7 Hemi for a daily driver....I'm dreaming of one of these or a 2nd Gen 2500 to find its way into my life soon. Loved my experiences with Dodge trucks over the past few years...but I really have a soft spot for that Cummins diesel

805gregg

Adventurer
Doesn't the generation thing have to do with the Cummins Diesel engines and nothing to do with gas engine Dodge trucks? I mean Dodge has been making good trucks for decades but in their infinite wisdom, created the modern diesel powered pick up, the first generation. and the rest of the truck builders, had to try and catch up. Mopar or no power.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
In Dodge-speak, 1st gen refers to trucks of the W/D series up to 93s. 2nd gen is from 94 to 2002. 3rd gen is from 03-09. 2009-present day would be 4th gen. I know this relates to body style mostly, as Cummins gens would be from 89-93 (rotary ve pump), 94-98.5 (p7100 12v), 98.5-2003 (24v), 2004, (5.9 HO), 2005-2007.5 (Cummins 600), and 2007.5-present (6.7)...

Anyone who is a bigger Dodge nerd, feel free to correct me...

CJW

If I had any advice for you it would be to not try to build up a full size dodge to hang with jeeps. It can be done but it will involve lots of money and broken parts. And most guys down the road say that they wish they would have started with something smaller. They look great built up but they are just big pigs on the trail, no matter how much you try to shrink them. If this were mainly an expedition rig I'd say go for it. But if it's mainly a trail rig, I vote Jeep, Suzi, Yota, etc.

If you are still set on building one my advice would be as follows. Find a standard cab 1/2 or 3/4 ton and take the wheelbase down as short as you can get it running your tires of choice. If you get a 1/2 ton, screw trying to make the d44 stronger, no use trying to polish a turd. Swap in 1 tons right away. Screw glass bumpers, these trucks are big and you'll smash them in no time. Get a big winch, 12,000 lb would be my preference. If it's a trail rig, get a 5.9 liter gas engine. Cummins are cool and all but they are extremely heavy. That paired with big tires on the trail and even a d60 will puke out parts.

Anyways, that's my advice like it or not. And yes I own a 2nd gen Ram.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepaltourism