Anyone using a P38 Range Rover as an Overland Vehicle?

nwoods

Expedition Leader
RoverSpecialties.com makes armor for the P38
http://www.roverspecialties.com/armor.html

Personally, I love the P38, but don't have the requisite skills to keep one running as a daily driver.

range_lg.jpg

bumper_front_1_lg.jpg

bumper_rear_4_lg.jpg

spikemd

Explorer
I have a D2 and run with spikemd so we have had pretty good comparisons between the two. So I think he can answer with a fair degree of certainty on that...

Beavers D2 was stock on the DV trip, but since then, we have put on a lift, shocks and bigger tires. It will be able to do many more trails than previously and we can't wait to take it on the trail and test it out.

There were other well built D2s on the trip that could do more difficult trails than my P38. Again, there is more aftermarket support for them especially when the trucks are lifted and need driveshafts and other suspension component adjustments. But again, it depends on what you are building it for. A well built D2 can tackle most anything.

majornerd

Spike,

Thank you so much for your reply. The P38 is a beautiful beast and I will have to start looking for one. I am happy to tackle and learn what I can, for what I cannot, or my time is worth more than my available cash, I have John Gadd (Roverdude) on speed dial.

I see the E30 in your sig - I have an E28 and your S52 makes me Jealous for sure - anytime you want to change garages you let me know. ;)

spikemd

Explorer
My P38 has gone through another round of upgrades and she is running great. She now has a 5 inch lift with adjustable panhard rods and I am running 33.3 inch BFG KM2s. I rewired the rear compartment with a BlueSea fusebox with an additional 2 12v sockets and 2 Anderson PowerPole plugs to run my ARB fridge. She has rear fridge slider with shelves for storing gear and some FourTracks mounts to hold shovel/axe and MaxTrax. I would like a rear tire carrier for my 33inch spare.

Here she is in Baja. Mine is the silver one and the black one is Alex's from the SoCal LR club. He is running the GenIII airsprings while I am on RTE3 coils which gives me a 5 inch lift.

2013_baja25.jpg

2013_baja44.jpg

2013_baja73.jpg

sedat

Adventurer
I ran the same RTE coils on my p38 when I had it. good on road and off. It was stable to 125mph. Had it for a year and a half and put 30,000 miles on it.

Get the latest year you can afford. I made piles apon piles of modifications to the P38 chassis. Some of the posts are still on rr.net but I got over the cockwagging and left.
They are livable day to day and mine was used extensively in very hot desert climates.

xL3T1PSl.jpg

JBvKeUil.jpg

6TlxKJ1l.jpg

JALinker

I'd be interested to know--are you(anyone) still in the P38? *WANT* to get one... afraid I am too emotional going in to know better... but the heart wants what the heart wants.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Still have my P38 and 110, both kitted for offroad/expedition use. We've found the wheelbase and condiguration of the P38 to work really well. Converted to coils for reliability, wish there were better options for heavy duty axle shafts / CVs but that's about it.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
I've often wondered if it would be possible to replace the BECM functions with separate relays? If one could successfully do that it seems like the P38 could take on new life as a platform.

David Harris

spikemd

Explorer
I've often wondered if it would be possible to replace the BECM functions with separate relays? If one could successfully do that it seems like the P38 could take on new life as a platform.

David Harris

The BECM had gremlins the first few years, but I haven't heard of many issue with them since MY1997. There is also a service available to 'unlock' the BECM so it doesn't lock down the vehicle. You can also now 'clone' them and have a spare if you are really paranoid. Much easier than converting the electrical system to relays. Also remember that the P38 has like 6 computers while an LR3 has 15+.

The P38 is a solid underrated platform with coils and a lift and is still comfortable on the drives to the trail. She gets better gas mileage than my LR3!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk