AO roof racks, whos got em?

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
xcmountain80 said:
Well given what AL cost right now and saying to myself hmmm $450 for a powdercoated AL rack or build my own ..... nope for $450 I can't build my own. The dimesions are great, just over the sunroof and right to the tail light the roof ten already is, over hang like the roof tent +1.5" but not over the load bars. And it's Hannibal so you know the quality is good. Good luck and keep me in th know on how the progress goes

Aaron

yeah most likely AL rack wouldnt cost 450 custom.

im not going AL, im going steel but it wont be super heavy with the mesh flooring im gonna use. Also they quoted me 500 for the rack. The AO racks are around 1100 if i remember right.

You checked out Gobi yet? however im not sure that would fit for a roof top tent.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
It's a Hannibal,, which is just as good as AO. I won't do steal wayyy to heavy for the size I need. Besides the Hanni is on the way and it will be here next week.

Aaron

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
xcmountain80 said:
It's a Hannibal,, which is just as good as AO. I won't do steal wayyy to heavy for the size I need. Besides the Hanni is on the way and it will be here next week.

Aaron

nice look forward to seeing it.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Me tooooo. I have to pick up a set of Q towers and a set of c-clips, I already have a 48" cross bar. Damn so I'll have 4 cross bars total yowzer.

Aaron

taco chaser

Supporting Sponsor
neliconcept said:
yeah most likely AL rack wouldnt cost 450 custom.

im not going AL, im going steel but it wont be super heavy with the mesh flooring im gonna use. Also they quoted me 500 for the rack. The AO racks are around 1100 if i remember right.

You checked out Gobi yet? however im not sure that would fit for a roof top tent.
5/8" x .56 wall chromoly round tube is light weight but strong enough for sleeping on or what ever else you might put on it, and it goe's for $3.00 per ft. and can be mig welded. Just another option.

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
taco chaser said:
5/8" x .56 wall chromoly round tube is light weight but strong enough for sleeping on or what ever else you might put on it, and it goe's for $3.00 per ft. and can be mig welded. Just another option.

Ive actually started looking at wilderness racks, as long as I can tie in some metal for a light bar as well i dont care what I get, if its stronger then my yakima load warrior im game.

but im still up in the air about custom or premade.

Aaron what did this Hannibal run you?

i cant wait to see pics, my truck looks similar to yours that i can tell what itd look like on mine.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
xcmountain80 said:
Well with a stroke of luck I found a lead on a Hannibal roof rack for a Jeep Grand Cherokee. It measures 79L x 53W x 7H, that puts it just over the sunroof but not over the end of the roof line. Width wise I'm using 58" yakima load bars so it's not wider than the bars (good thing). It has a removable rear bar but the side rails aren't removable. I can run the rack forwards or backwards forwards if no fuel cells are to be used and I want the front porch of the tent over the front of the vehicle and backwards if I want to hold gear or fuel and the tent will open like I have it now off the back. I will have to remove the feet to that I can just straight mount it to my crossbars.
3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

Aaron
$450 + $180 so $630

Aaron

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Ok well after some waiting my Hannibal rack has arrived,,,,, yeah Now kwwp in mind they don't make one for the 3rd Gen 4Runner but do make one for the Jeep Cherokee,,,, sooo being a master of thought I thought I could make it work.
P1235165.jpg

P1235162.jpg

P1235160.jpg

P1235161.jpg

P1235152.jpg

P1235153.jpg

P1235154.jpg

P1235155.jpg

P1235159.jpg

Aaron

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
pretty wide there..

i think ARB makes a rack that has a flat back with rails up front, can get a 73x44 that should fit, just need to make some mounts for it, that fit to tracks.

im gonna get the 73x44 rack later on, or go custom with armorology designed sorta like gobiracks.com

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
yeah the width is to accommodate my RTT with our it the RTT wouldn't fit worth a damn. The base of the RTT is 48X48 not accounting for bulk. ANy narrower and it wouldn't fit at all. I can run the rack in reverse, but the rear also comes off so it doesn't have to run in reverse. Now I could always cut the rails off but I'm not there yet. You more than likely won't need it to be as wide.

Aaron

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
xcmountain80 said:
yeah the width is to accommodate my RTT with our it the RTT wouldn't fit worth a damn. The base of the RTT is 48X48 not accounting for bulk. ANy narrower and it wouldn't fit at all. I can run the rack in reverse, but the rear also comes off so it doesn't have to run in reverse. Now I could always cut the rails off but I'm not there yet. You more than likely won't need it to be as wide.

Aaron

yeah gotcha. i plan to get either the ARB or go with the AO rack that fits on the 4th gen and make it fit custom.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Well now I'm thinking I might cut the side rails off this rack so I can have better access to the side if the RTT when unzipping and I can turn the RTT and mount it sideways if I so choose.

Aaron

euro.love

Adventurer
I have been working on a bed mounted roof rack for my Tacoma. I made sides for it, but left the back open, so materials can slide up easily or a roof top tent can project off the rear of it.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Well I got bored and looked at a bazillion pictures of side mounted roof tens and then got jealous then busted out the grinder and cutting wheels. So the sides are gone and the tent is mounted sideways, working on the awning mounting right now. On another up side when I replace the RTT I won't be limited to size.

Aaron

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
havanother