Are Montero's Reliable and Common Enough for World Travel?

Topgun514

Adventurer
Hey guys, this is not a denigrating thread on Montero's so don't worry!

I am wondering what the practicality is for world travel in a Montero or even US travel to far off areas. Escalante, UT is a place I visit at least once a month either for work or pleasure and you would not believe the conditions and lack of amenities. Escalante is where I have seen multiple failures on vehicles, including an 80 series whose axle snapped at the birfield I believe, throwing the tire and breaking the whole front axle in half at speed.
My background is primarily Jeep Cherokee's which I know their immense strengths and unfortunate weaknesses. I have, however, begun looking at world travel (Dempster to Nova Scotia to Europe and Southeast Asia) and the opportunity to purchase a vehicle, build up, and head out interests me more than the journey's themselves.

My Jeep will probably turn into a buggy for Moab, etc. but I have looked into larger vehicles, and narrowed down to Land Cruisers and Montero's (god I hope I narrowed it down)!

This website and everyone on both sides have given me invaluable resources to look into, and the Montero has my interest peaked more-so than the LC's (Both 80's and 100's) but the worry of mine is availability of parts, aftermarket and in the field. The Monty(2.5) prices seem much better for build up and purchase costs but carrying a spare everything is not practical. Montero's seem less produced worldwide so parts and breakdowns scare me for world travel where the LC's have the edge from my vantage points.

I guess my question is, what interchangeable parts or locality of spares would prohibit me from going with a montero compared to a LC? My timeline looks like purchase and build a vehicle in 4 years, travel with enough comp time saved up from work in about 6 years.

Sorry about my writing, I just vomited my thoughts on this post.

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
Monteros are generally regarded as having some of the strongest and most durable running gear out there. They very, very rarely break, even when made into crawlers with stupidly big lifts and tires.

They would seem to be much more common in just about every other country besides the USA! Touch base with the Aussies as well as the South African Montero guys and seek their input. I've seen a lot of them in South America and Asia, and fair numbers of them in the UK. Certainly more than we have stateside.

Monterorider

Adventurer
Yes Montero(Pajero)s are very reliable and much more common outside the US. For example Russian Pajero owners forum has like 30 thousand members. One worry would be in 6 years, even Gen 2.5 will be nearing 20 years old. May not be greatest choice for world travel. Availability of some parts, at least anew, might be waning down. I also suspect that in 6 year there will be ever more paved roads so need for serious build up of any vehicle may not be that really necessary unless you specifically seek out off beaten path roads, unlike even 6 years ago you may not have had a choice. Montero is built up a plenty otherwise.

I agree with the posts above.

I'm building my Montero for out of country overland travel... particularly heading south. The key to embarking on any long distance, round the world, type of trip is maintenance. I went a little far and rebuilt the engine in my Montero. Thankfully, I did this and found I was about to lose a head gasket. We're still shaking down the truck, camping this weekend locally in some National Grasslands... then off to Arkansas for a week and Big Bend for two weeks around Thanksgiving. I've got some critical spares. But, mind you, what good are spares if you don't know how to work on the vehicle or replace the parts? If you have a catastrophic failure, like a head gasket letting loose in the middle of nowhere, what are you going to do?? It doesn't matter what vehicle you drive, they all have their strengths and weaknesses, and being a machine designed by man.... likely to fail at some point. To me, the Montero is nearly the perfect compromise of a vehicle and a worthy choice for a round the world trip.

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
The Gen 2.5 continued overseas as both the Pajero Classic and Hyundai Galloper. Parts are well supported, with one hitch- the gas V6 in US models is practically unknown where the diesel is available.

I'm confused about the axle failure in that 80 land cruiser. Snapping a birfield wont toss a wheel. Nor should it break the axle housing. Wheel bearing failure could, I suppose, but that has nothing to do with vehicle choice, but rather a maintenance problem. Any vehicle can have that.

Last edited:

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
The Gen 2.5 continued overseas as both the Pajero Classic and Hyundai Galloper. Parts are well supported, with one hitch- the gas V6 in US models is practically unknown where the diesel is available.

I'm confused about the axle failure in that 80 land cruiser. Snapping a airfield wont toss a wheel. Nor should it break the axle housing. Wheel bearing failure could, I suppose, but that has nothing to do with vehicle choice, but rather a maintenance problem. Any vehicle can have that.
If someone were to buy a crated Mitsu diesel engine from overseas, would it drop right in to a Gen 2.5? How about the same notion for a Gen 2?

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
If someone were to buy a crated Mitsu diesel engine from overseas, would it drop right in to a Gen 2.5? How about the same notion for a Gen 2?

On every parade, a little rain must fall:
Not even close. For some reference on what it takes to swap over semi-modern diesels, look up conversions done by Dieseltoyz and the like. Nearly everything is different. The major mechanicals are the easy part- then come wiring harness, fuel system, cooling system, intercooler, guage cluster... conversions are not for the faint at heart. Toyota 22R to 2L-T swaps are easy, but not really worth while (small torque and FE gains, less reliable). Some early 4cyl Mitsu swaps might be just as easy, but again, usually not worth it.
Unless money is no (or hardly an) object, I think a vehicle for travel outside the Americas, is best aquired on the way to your overlanding destination- you can buy safari-ready LRs, LCs, Gs, and Monteros in Europe, for much less than it would cost to set one up that way here and then transport it.

Last edited:

DaveChapters

Monteros are generally regarded as having some of the strongest and most durable running gear out there. They very, very rarely break, car Accessories when made into crawlers with stupidly big lifts and tires.

They would seem to be much more common in just about every other country besides the USA! Touch base with the Aussies as well as the South African Montero guys and seek their input. I've seen a lot of them in South America and Asia, and fair numbers of them in the UK. Certainly more than we have stateside.

I have to agree with Sabre. When I was first told to use Monteros I was a bit skeptical, however after long time I decided to go for it.. Best decision of my life.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I am personally aware of several mid to late 90's rigs built to run 35-37" tires that are used for crawling which is significantly harsher on the drivetrain than expedition wheeling which I assume your intent is. I wouldn't be worried about the Montero from that point of view.

You're probably already thinking of this but I would definitely do is ensure all the maintenance is up to date and parts that should be replaced during your trip (maintenance replacements, not just problem replacements) are replaced prior to it. In fact I'd err on the side of safety and just go ahead and replace any of those parts in advance. For example if your trip will last 6 months/15K miles and your timing belt is due in 17K, replace it now rather than wait.

HTH.

Cruisn

Adventurer
I run a first gen pajero, super reliable, parts are not to bad to get, Oz has a ton of gen 2/2.5 pajeros. they are everywhere. I recommend them as they are comfortable to drive.

I swapped from petrol to diesel in my rig, it was easy, a direct fit. but as a gen 1 I have next to no wirign harness to begin with. if you did around on the south africa pajero forum one guy has put a 3.2did in his first gen pajero, will give you an idea on wiring and such.

Glenn C

Observer
Hopefully getting a 2.8 intercooled turbo diesel one monday so will report then :wings:

if you plan on fitting a diesel dont fit the 2.5 one as they drink diesel like its free

Cruisn

Adventurer
They most certainly do not drink diesel like its free... Mine does 11l per 100km. Excellent milage for a loaded wagon. Don't try to exceed 100 there working really hard then.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

YOURDOCTORONLY

Observer
Hey!! to be honest, no matter where or how far you go, your pictures are gonna look more artistical if your Montero in included in the photo!!! jejejeje, I live in Puerto Rico, here the island is not that big, but my Montero had driving me everywhere, it's a 2,000 Dakar edition, 228,000 miles in the odometer, the engine has never being open!!! & it's still going like new everywhere I go!!!Dakar 2000-1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal