Are the AT trailers worth it?

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I see the value of the product shining in two primary ways.

1) Time. The trailer is always packed, always ready. No need to fumble through the garage in search of your stove, fuel, mattress. No need to find a neighbor to lift the RTT to the roof.

2) Reliability. There is no price tag on peace of mind. How relaxed can you be on a camping trip if you're second-guessing each bump and vibration?

If I lived on the west coast, there would already be an AT of some kind in my garage...

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Though being the highly organized individual I am the camping gear is inboxes ready to be loaded at any time into the 4Runner. This also double as Hurricane preparation. I stopped using neighbors after I thought about the liability involved. I used to use this setup at the townhouse
PB284487.jpg

Then I switched RTT storage locations and use this setup which my dad engineered.
P3175362.jpg

P3175360.jpg

I'm looking into the trailers more and more just for simplicity and ease of use. I keep reading and re-reading the OJ trailer comparison, wisht the overland trailer would have gotten some testing.

Aaron

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
xcmountain80 said:
Though being the highly organized individual I am the camping gear is inboxes ready to be loaded at any time into the 4Runner. This also double as Hurricane preparation.
I'm looking into the trailers more and more just for simplicity and ease of use.
Aaron
I know what you mean; I lived in south Florida for 20 years and the "bug-out boxes" were always topped off and ready. My camping in those days was of the ultra-spartan motorcycle variety.
But, as I age, time becomes more precious than money. My decrepit body makes demands and I have to honor them. And then there's the comfort of the wife; you can never overlook the importance of a happy spouse....

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Hilldweller said:
I know what you mean; I lived in south Florida for 20 years and the "bug-out boxes" were always topped off and ready. My camping in those days was of the ultra-spartan motorcycle variety.
But, as I age, time becomes more precious than money. My decrepit body makes demands and I have to honor them. And then there's the comfort of the wife; you can never overlook the importance of a happy spouse....

What the quote? If momma ain't happy ain't no body happy!

Aaron

ECVMatt

Observer
All I can say is that my AT Horizon is GREAT!

My family and I use it all the time. I keep every thing loaded and ready to go. All we have to do is fill up the water/fuel components and we are ready to go. I have taken it on some pretty steep stuff and lots of washboard roads. Although the w/b roads shook some stuff off my truck that I added, they had no effect on the Trailer. You do forget it is behind you and it is a joy to tow. It is rock solid in the tow.

Enough has been said already about the quality and it is all true. Enough can't be said about the honesty and integrity of Mario and the guys at AT. They are simple the best and stand behind their product like no others. This is a truly refreshing experience in this age of cheap Chinese crap.

One last comment: I have a severely handicapped son. We would not be able camp w/o our Horizon. I simply takes too long to set the tent up and get the camp site organized. With the Horizon, I just hook up and go. When we get to our destination, I just unhook and we are camping. It only takes about ten minutes to be fully deployed. We love it.

Hope you are able to pick one up sometime in the future,

Matt

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Any recommendations of which pieces of hardware I'll need off the bat and what I should add later?
#1 I like elec. brakes but I already have 15" rotors on the truck, and still would be less expensive to upgrade the 4Runners brake as opposed to an electric brake axle on the trailer.

#2 Nose box is a must
#3 tailgate is a must because I don't want to open the lid while the ten is deployed to get pancake mix.

#4 yakima or thule for the RTT
#5 new RTT is out even though id like one mine is currently ok
#6 coupler for lock and roll a must
#7 birch countertop
#8 fuel cans I have but need holders
#9 watertank? damn for $450 seems like I could up with something aluminum.
#10 partner stove I like but I have a coleman old school and a bunch of other stoves.
#11 12v aux system is a must
#12 deep cycle battery for $300 is worth it for a deka but I'll go for a deep cycle truck battery for 1/2
#13battery charger + shore plug a must

so what do we think guy and gals from those of you who have one and lived out of one.

Aaron

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Get the brakes. Seriously, don't cut costs here. For highway speeds, I would think that these things speak for themselves in terms of safety. Also, this option includes the break-away safety (not sure exactly what this is called). Essentially, if your trailer breaks away from your vehicle for whatever reason, the safety feature engages the brakes so that the trailer can stop itself instead of running into a family of 4 causing a serious accident.

For offroad: think of going downhill in a rocky situation where traction is less than ideal. Would you rather have the trailer pushing your vehicle downhill, or would you rather that the trailer could manage its own traction and possibly even help your vehicle a little?

Deep cycle battery: if you're running a fridge on this thing, get the best you can afford. You usually get what you pay for in this situation.

Water tank? If it were me, I'd probably get the tank, but if you're really that handy and can make your own for less and want the challenge, you're probably fine with that option as well.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Yeah I tow elevators on trailers with brakes, when weight is involved brakes are great but if there is no weight the wheels just lock up and the trailer will swerve , yes yes even with the brake controller dialed down. I don't know that the trailer weighs enough to be able to utilize a breaking system. Ok I see it weighs 700lbs dry if you will and can go up to 2k. At 1800 lbs I would consider brakes. Soo maybe they are worth it but sheesh $492 I could re axle with brakes any one of my trailers for $350 . No I'm not a nickle and dimer so I'll stop there. The fridge will go back and forth I imagine out on the trail to camp to town to the moon and so on. What are we using for security while not around the trailers?

Aaron

ECVMatt

Observer
I think you are on the right track...

I skipped the e-brakes on my and it was pretty hard on my 05 Taco. I had them installed after a few trips and it made a world of difference. I would suggest the shelf for cooking, I have the kitchen box on mine and it makes a very nice spot for cooking. I believe that AT makes a good RTT mount for the Chaser, might be cheaper than the others mentioned. If you are keeping your roof rack, the fuel can always go up there, but if you have to get can holders anyways the AT's are great. Partner Stove works great, but again mine came with the whole kitchen box. If I got the Chaser, I think I would stick with my old Coleman.

Keep us updated..

Matt

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Ok so heres where I am

YesNOSE BOX: STEEL, POWDER COATED

YesFUEL CANS AND HOLDERS
WATER TANK well holders anyway so $195

Undecided19 GALLON WATER TANK, AND WATER PUMP

NoSTOVE: PARTNER STEEL, HIGH OUTPUT,
2 BURNER STOVE IN CASE WITH WIND SHIELD

YesSTOVE SHELF: BALTIC BIRCH, LOCATES OVER WHEEL WELL, 20"W X 50"L X 1/2"D

Yes12 VOLT AUXILIARY SYSTEM LED LIGHTS, OUTLETS FUSE BLOCK, BATTERY TRAY AND HOLD DOWN SELECT 1

NoDEEP CYCLE BATTERY: DEKA GROUP 31 AGM SEALED BATTERY SELECT 0

YesBATTERY CHARGER & SHORE PLUG:
6 AMP MARINE GRADE CHARGER SELECT 1

YesELECTRIC BRAKES:
10' DRUMS ON STANDARD AXLE SELECT 1

NoROOF TOP TENT 4 PERSON, KING SIZE BED
MOUNTING HARDWARE, (OTHER SIZES) SELECT 0

Yes or yakima ROOF RACK, 3 THULE RACK LOAD BARS: ADJUSTABLE TRACK. SELECT 1

YesTAILGATE: LOCKABLE, POWDER COATED,
14 GAUGE, T HANDLES SELECT 1

YesMULTI AXIS COUPLER: UNRESTRICTED MOVEMENT BOTH ON AND OFF-ROAD SELECT 1

Aaron

Bergger

Explorer
I would recommend the water tank. I love how convienient it is. I decided to for go the fuel cans and holders as I keep a spare jerry can on my truck as I often set up camp and drive the truck else where. By not having the cans on the trailer it gives me a really good area to store large items like chairs and our Ezi-Up Awning. However you configure it you are going to love it!

ECVMatt

Observer
By the time I get to my camp site...

there are generally no folks around me. You could pull the coupler off and run a locking hitch pin through. That would make it pretty tough for some to just hook up and go. I sometimes lock up the boxes, but mostly I don't. I also camp in areas that are heavily traveled by fellow Clampers (A local club of sorts) and we look out for each other.

On my last trip, the nearest people were about 15 slow and hard miles away.

Matt

Oh and I always keep a good rifle handy, just in case.

Honu

lost on the mainland
#12 deep cycle battery for $300 is worth it for a deka but I'll go for a deep cycle truck battery for 1/2

I ended up with a concord which are the same class as Deka and have to say I am impressed with them :)
I had thought I will just get a good deep cycle and ended up bringing my other ones back and going with the nicer batteries now I wish I just got them off the bat to start with :)
then when I started doing research you really do get what you pay for and how its built plate thickness etc..

like anything you do for a living some will choke when you tell them how much good tools of your trade run

BigAl

Expedition Leader
I think I would have to consistently do 30 plus nights a year before I could justify the expense and limitations of an AT.

TheMike

Adventurer
DON'T SKIMP ON THE BRAKES! It's a safety issue that only takes one less than ideal situation and you will curse yourself for not getting them. It's such a necessity in my opinion for off-road trailers that if you can't afford them at the time of purchase, wait to buy the trailer until you can!

Those that don't think they are really worth it don't take trailers where this thing is designed to go. Some things are true whether you believe it or not :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner