Are there any good fully enclosed travel trailers?

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
The other option is to buy an old beater motorhome to live in I see them all the time for dirt cheap and then when your done just dump it at the scrap yard.

Not that simple.

Most all scrap yards, recycling facilities and Pull A Parts will not take old RV trailers or motorhomes. Not much steel based upon the weight of the RV and lot's of wood. Those folks don't want the wood!

It's not near as easy as you might think to git rid of or scrap an old RV trailer or motorhome these days!

Grassland

Escape trailers in BC if you like fiberglass Boler style.
We r looking at the 19. Tandem axle, 15'8" body inside, front dinette that becomes a bed and a fixed rear queen bed. Cot option for up front if you have small kids. Bumper to hitch is 19' or so.
They also have a 21 NE that's the same layout as the 19 but longer by two feet so 17'8" inside.
They sometimes have inventory ready to go but it sells fast, and most of what they do is build to order in batches.

Alloy

A buddy just spent a year looking. He gave up and bought a 10yo Jayco for $6000. It has the same fridge, heater, stove HW tank and pump as a new trailer. Figures it's going to cost him $2,000 to re&re the equipment and he'll be able to sell it for $6,000 in 3-4 years.

Even if he wrecks it he'll still be ahead of what he'd loose in deprecation on a new trailer.

jadmt

ignore button user
Escape trailers in BC if you like fiberglass Boler style.
We r looking at the 19. Tandem axle, 15'8" body inside, front dinette that becomes a bed and a fixed rear queen bed. Cot option for up front if you have small kids. Bumper to hitch is 19' or so.
They also have a 21 NE that's the same layout as the 19 but longer by two feet so 17'8" inside.
They sometimes have inventory ready to go but it sells fast, and most of what they do is build to order in batches.
Yup those are nice. I looked into getting one last year.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Expect a long wait to git an Escape as they have sold out their yearly production for many years and therefore expect a very long lead time for delivery of a new ordered trailer.

skyfree

Escape 17B. We've had one since 2017 and this will likely be our last RV. I'll never buy another stick-built RV with any sort of roof with seams again after experiencing leaks in a 2-year old Arctic Fox truck camper we used to own that delaminated the siding.

We do light off-road with it but it's not something you would want to drag to racetrack in Death Valley with all the corrugations. We do the eastern Sierra dirt roads and short forest service roads mostly. It's narrow enough that I don't use towing mirrors and I get about 19mpg towing with the ZR2 at a pretty brisk pace.

The price has gone up quite a bit since we got ours in 2017 though. Delivery times are long but you might get lucky and find a used one on escapeforum.org classifies. The price is usually the same or more than people paid for them. It's pretty crazy for an RV.

DSC_1740 (1).jpg

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Escape 17B. We've had one since 2017 and this will likely be our last RV. I'll never buy another stick-built RV with any sort of roof with seams again after experiencing leaks in a 2-year old Arctic Fox truck camper we used to own that delaminated the siding.

We do light off-road with it but it's not something you would want to drag to racetrack in Death Valley with all the corrugations. We do the eastern Sierra dirt roads and short forest service roads mostly. It's narrow enough that I don't use towing mirrors and I get about 19mpg towing with the ZR2 at a pretty brisk pace.

The price has gone up quite a bit since we got ours in 2017 though. Delivery times are long but you might get lucky and find a used one on escapeforum.org classifies. The price is usually the same or more than people paid for them. It's pretty crazy for an RV.

View attachment 593894
There is always the lowly Champ too. My buddy and his wife plus 10mo old just got back from 3 week boonie dry camping with theirs. Prior to that they did a yr traveling the US with it. BK Before kid... One kid is easy, 2 kids is 2x as challenging lol

jadmt

ignore button user
Not that simple.

Most all scrap yards, recycling facilities and Pull A Parts will not take old RV trailers or motorhomes. Not much steel based upon the weight of the RV and lot's of wood. Those folks don't want the wood!

It's not near as easy as you might think to git rid of or scrap an old RV trailer or motorhome these days!
I guess it depends on where you live.

skyfree

There is always the lowly Champ too. My buddy and his wife plus 10mo old just got back from 3 week boonie dry camping with theirs. Prior to that they did a yr traveling the US with it. BK Before kid... One kid is easy, 2 kids is 2x as challenging lol

Do you mean Scamp? There is also the Casita and high-end Oliver's and Bigfoots currently in production, and a bunch like the Burro that are still around but not in production. I saw a photo somewhere of an Oliver on the Shafer trail below the switchbacks which I thought was pretty sporty. The Casita and Scamp are light enough for a 4Runner. The Olivers and Bigfoots not.

jadmt

ignore button user
Do you mean Scamp? There is also the Casita and high-end Oliver's and Bigfoots currently in production, and a bunch like the Burro that are still around but not in production. I saw a photo somewhere of an Oliver on the Shafer trail below the switchbacks which I thought was pretty sporty. The Casita and Scamp are light enough for a 4Runner. The Olivers and Bigfoots not.
a Bigfoot 25B175B is 3275 dry and 4600GVW so a 4runner should handle it. the oliver 18.5" is about the same

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven