Armored 3rd Gen 4Runner

Augustpro

Price $16,750
-183,000 miles 3.4 V6 auto
-Armored 3rd Gen 4Runner-

*Shrockworks front bumper and sliders
*CBI off-road high clearance rear bumper
RCI front skid (radiator and trans.)
*Gobi rack - full length with ARB 2000 awning with quick release brackets and side wind break
*Fox 2.0 coilovers (front) Bilstein 5100 w/ OME medium duty springs (rear) provides 2” lift
*Cooper ST Maxx tires 275/70/17 on 17” Method Grid wheels
*Wheelers off-road active bumpstops (front)
*Baja design squadron sport wide cornering lights with yellow rock guards
*New full size spare (265/75/16 Cooper AT3 on 16” steelie)

1615067083746.png

Attachments

• 1615067009891.png
    1615067009891.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 185

zooroadbaja

Adventurer
Out of interest; what level of armour, and how much did this add to the weight?
I had a similar build with the tundra brakes, didnt notice the weight with two people but 5 people and gear coming down the mountain brakes were not happy, actually pulled over half way to let cool. Could smell the brakes and wheels were so hot couldnt touch them

alanymarce

I had a similar build with the tundra brakes, didnt notice the weight with two people but 5 people and gear coming down the mountain brakes were not happy, actually pulled over half way to let cool. Could smell the brakes and wheels were so hot couldnt touch them
Our first Nissan was armoured to level IIIA/B4 and it was quite a lot heavier than the standard; although even though we live in the most mountainous country in the Americas we never had any problems with braking, although we didn't travel with a lot of kit.

Augustpro

Here are a few more angles from the front. It's still available. Located in Wyoming, I'm the second owner, bought it from my neighbor in 2012 with 99,000 miles. Garage kept with maintenance records. It was my daily driver for ten years then decided to build it into a family adventure rig but now its a little too small for my growing family to load out for long weekends in the mountains.

Augustpro

Sure I can imagine. I have well ventilated 17" aluminum wheels that help a bit to keep the brakes cool. I'm running OEM ceramic pads and rotors which don't really smoke or smell when hot.

Augustpro

It's all listed in the post. Yes its has heavy duty skids from RCI, a high clearance steel bumper with radiator and headlight hoops guarding them from impact. Steel rock sliders and a steel rear bumper. These items when added to a vehicle are known as armor.

Augustpro

Our first Nissan was armoured to level IIIA/B4 and it was quite a lot heavier than the standard; although even though we live in the most mountainous country in the Americas we never had any problems with braking, although we didn't travel with a lot of kit.
Interesting, I'd love to see images of the IIIA amoring on the Nissan, do you know what material was used? My rig currently is just running exterior steel "trail" armor. However I do have lightweight level lll multi hit capable panels able to be implemented into door panels, seatbacks and potentially exposed areas on the front radiator. It's an interesting modular design that allows for quick setup/takedown or refitment. As-is this 3rd Gen can provide a strong degree of threat protection in high risk areas, it can handle significant front, rear, side or even top impacts. It's relatively lightweight and nimble for its strength. If I were doing security/bodyguard work in an urban area I don't think it gets much better than a nimble armored 3rd gen... although this one was mostly built for the trail ;)

alanymarce

Interesting, I'd love to see images of the IIIA amoring on the Nissan, do you know what material was used? ... It's an interesting modular design that allows for quick setup/takedown or refitment.
You would not see any visible difference (low profile is a good thing if you need armour). The only clue is that the windows look a little different; if you look closely you can see they're thicker (armoured glass). Another clue (which would be evident only if you're inside the vehicle) is that the windows don't open (or more accurately, open a very small amount). The materials are Ballistic Steel, Aramide Fibre, and armoured glass. To strip it out would be a massive job.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh00333