Articulation vs. Ground Clearance

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
I recently read that the 5th Gen 4Runner equipped with KDSS might have less ground clearance than a non-KDSS spec'ed 4Runner. This reminded me of a friend's TJ that was fitted with an aftermarket suspension kit that provides minimum lift but amazing suspension droop. This then started me thinking and started me wondering about whether one vehicle characteristic should be prioritized over another for overland travel. This could be important when considering two different vehicles or different modifications.

Thoughts?

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
Anyone who has ever driven tough trails with a stock 4x4 pickup truck can tell you that ground clearance is nice but not always necessary. However, when you are at full flex and still have one tire not touching the ground it isn't doing you much good. If you could have more articulation to keep your wheels on the ground you'll have better traction.

craig333

Expedition Leader
My personal experience for what I do is ground clearance over articulation. Your mileage may vary. If I was rich (and more mechanically inclined) I'd have both.

damienperu

Observer
i suppose it depends on where/how you travel/drive, but in my general travels I have found that unavoidable clearance related bellying out in sand/mud, bottoming out over humps/rocks and departure/entry scraping come up far more often than unavoidable uneven terrain where better articulation would have helped, but then again I am always interested in getting from A to B unscathed to live to fight another day rather than choosing the most difficult route.

i would say another question is at what level of overloadedness with travel gear does clearance become more important than articulation. add a tonne of gear/accessories and compare the effect of bottoming out on a rock or hanging up on the tailbar, whereas with that much weight you usually have better grip in general.

4x4junkie

Explorer
i suppose it depends on where/how you travel/drive,

This is certainly key.

For me both are important as I do a fair amount of venturing through areas with large rocks.
If one doesn't get into rocky areas much, a lesser level of articulation capability certainly can suffice (relying on just a locking diff if the ground should get undulated enough to reach the suspension's limits). Ground clearance becomes more important the longer your wheelbase so as not to drag the belly while going over berms, washouts or other embankments.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
I run lockers on my vehicles so articulation isn't nearly as important as ground clearance to me. It has amazed me how little of a berm it takes to land my crew cab Cummins Ram (no lift and stock tires) on the transfer case skidplate - or drag the receiver hitch when crossing a wash.

dubbaDYota

Observer
I recently read that the 5th Gen 4Runner equipped with KDSS might have less ground clearance than a non-KDSS spec'ed 4Runner. This reminded me of a friend's TJ that was fitted with an aftermarket suspension kit that provides minimum lift but amazing suspension droop. This then started me thinking and started me wondering about whether one vehicle characteristic should be prioritized over another for overland travel. This could be important when considering two different vehicles or different modifications.

Thoughts?

I own the Mag grey TE w KDSS and aftermarket skids
the black TE w/o KDSS and stock skids is owned by a gentlemen named "MrVandelay" on T4R.org.
both running 3" of lift and 285/70/17s

He has a few inches more ground clearance at the front diff. The KDSS swaybar attaches at the lower control arm. Yes, i lost ground clearance with KDSS but im okay with that. the suspension articulates much better then a traditional swaybar or even a no sway bar imho. Im not saying the KDSS provides more suspension travel, but from watching his vehicle and my vehicle tackle the same obstacles and terrain, it appears my truck's suspensions reacts and moves more freely (articulation?) through its range of motion.

and the ride on road cant be beat. the truck rides soooooo smooth and remains FLAT during corning while exhibiting virtually no body roll. but all this is my unscientific observation from the past 26,XXX miles on my TE.

i have some vids to demo what i cant seem to put into words if that would help.

8394311446_be4600d0b8_h.jpg8394314170_64e0a2eec9_h.jpg

mogwildRW1

Adventurer
When possible, both. :) (stock image, not mine)

435articu.jpg

For the deep snow and mud that I get into, ground clearance is needed. But when in the offroad park, articulation to keep all 4 tires stuck to the ground.

Murfman

Observer
I second the BOTH arguement. My TJ has a 2" Suspension Lift, 1 1/4" BL trimmed fenders and 35" tires It sits lower than most TJs but I went with a tummy tucker skid that gave me 3 extra Inches of clearance. I have more ground clearance than a friend with a 6" lift and 37s because his TC skid is spaced down for driveline angles, with My JKS arms up front and Nth degree stinger out back it flexes like mad.
9F05-9-145-19.jpg

Silvanus

Observer
I'd say both, 2.5" lift, hi-clearance Transfer skid, 31-32" tires should suffice. for articulation only, then get locked up.

6x6pinz

Adventurer
I have a pinz and stock the ground clearance is around 16" unloaded and 14.5" fully loaded, this is clear from inside of wheels to inside of wheels. I have almost no articulation and it is a problem on some more extreme trails. I prefer the higher ground clearance to articulation in an expo or casual offroad rig. Articulation is handy for more extreme trails but in most cases you suffer with the loss of payload capacity. What I find is that having lockers all the way around is far more important then either articulation or ground clearance. If you can get all three, as in the case of a Unimog, that is great. In most cases you have to give up one or build a custom rig. Remember that most mogs are not very fast on the highway.

Need to decide intended use and go from there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad