Artistic Shots- Well thought out, framed (positioned), artistic shots only please.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
tell me what you guys think about this,,, i like it but something needs to be improved and i dont know what or how. maybe just DOF?

DSC06342.jpg

To me the fire hydrant has such character your idea of depth of field might work out well. Keep the hydrant sharply focused and let the background blur out.

Never know. it might turn out well. :sombrero:

RHINO

Expedition Leader
hydrant is definitely cool, i didnt even think about the tree being distracting. next time i'm down there i'll try out different angles and DOF, see what happens.

I ordered a remote flash trigger and it came in today. I've never used a flash before. The noise in this photo definitely isn't there in the original, thanks a lot Facebook...
302936_677640017431_62002887_33635081_917737182_n.jpg

Also got a 5 in one reflector kit. Used the diffusion panel to diffuse the flash and the gold panel on the chair in front of her. Little Miss Attitude.
316849_677636943591_62002887_33635062_270551899_n.jpg

Without flash, at a recent hot air balloon fair. Was too windy for the balloons which actually pissed me off (drove a long ways for it...) and this was the only pic I took...

382743_677638236001_62002887_33635070_4394368_n.jpg

I know my pics above are pretty cool.... but I know they certainly are not the pinnacle of this thread. Where did everyone go? Or did everyone get eaten by a turkey?

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
I actually was eaten by a turkey but I am recovering now. Playing with off camera flash opens up all kinds of artistic opportunities. It seems the flash may be bit bright on the first one. At least on my work laptop monitor her cheek and jaw seem a bit blown out. I like the little miss attitude shot but again I would either reduce the flash power or exposure just a bit to improve it. The direction of light is so important and I am not an expert but the shadow from her nose under her eye is distracting to me.

I like the fair ride shot. I keep saying I'm going to go play at the local fair but haven't made it out there yet.

Maybe others with more experience can provide more usable feedback. :elkgrin:

JamesDowning

Explorer
Portraits are hard... that's something I struggle with a lot. I love candid shots, but none of my family acts natural when I bring the camera out. I think you did good there, getting the non-standard camera response with a good crop that made it interesting. One of my biggest challenges with shooting people indoors is lighting (because I hate flashes)... people either move too much, or the lighting looks funny.

Did you hand hold the night shot? Must have been a pretty high ISO? I was surprised I didn't see more noise.

Actually, I would have cropped that a little differently to get rid of some of the distraction.

zero gravity.jpg

Last edited:
Good point on the crop.

I did hand hold it. In a previous life I shot rifles competitively. ;) I think I had the ISO on 100, too.... forgot to check it. Lucky shot really. And I only took THAT shot at the festival.

photoman

Explorer
There was snow in Northern AZ today so I bounced up to Sedona and spent a few hours chasing light. Here is one image from today.

i-pjrDDD4-XL.jpg

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
tell me what you guys think about this,,, i like it but something needs to be improved and i dont know what or how. maybe just DOF?

DSC06342.jpg

The hydrant is cool, either change your dof and/or get rid of the windows in the background by changing the angle that you're shooting from. Although I bet you would have more of that tree in the background in the pic.

Photoshoot today with NigelCaffeine.
A bit of post processing really made this one pop. Teaser photo for now, will give you guys a link to the article I'll be posting on CentralOverland.com/blog ...
_DSC3250.jpg

Last edited:

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Tucson was socked in fog this morning so I hiked up into the Catalina mountains hoping to get some sweet shots when the fog lifted. I only got about 2 minutes of it opening up to a partial views and then the fog rolled back in and stole my views.

Here are the few I was able to capture.

Catalina-Mist-7-L.jpg

Catalina-Mist-1-L.jpg

Catalina-Mist-5-L.jpg

Catalina-Mist-2-L.jpg

Catalina-Mist-3-L.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3