Artistic Shots- Well thought out, framed (positioned), artistic shots only please.

photo_i

Explorer
Thanks, Brad. :) Love your shots of Antelope Canyon! Haven't made it there in our previous travels, but definitely on our "to do" list. :)

Stuart Kent

Observer
a few from a year in Costa Rica

Hi guys,

I am wrapping up a year in Costa Rica, and thought I would share a few images of my adventure with you. I shoot with a Pentax K-5 and f2.8 lenses - an amazing photo rig! The truck is my overlander, a 2003 Silverado 1500 with: 33 x 12.50 BFG AT's, Pacer bullet holes, Rancho Suspension full suspension (amazing!!!), Superwinch Talon 12.5i synthetic line, Buckstop bumpers front and rear, PIAA lights front and rear, dual Optima Yellow tops, and Dee Zee bedside toolboxes.

1. The Poas Volcano Crater
2. A View of Lake Arenal
3. Parrots above the Heredia Central Park
4. Giant tree on the way to Rio Serrano
5. Firey Billed Aracaris (in the toucan family) having breakfast
6. an Overlander on the Cliffs above Jaco

Enjoy!
Stuart.
the Poas caldera.jpga view from Villa Decary.jpgparrots in the sky above SWIISS.jpgtree on the way to rio serrano web.jpgbreakfast.jpgbumper, lights, winch, suspension, tires and wheels.jpg

photoman

Explorer
Fun with fire

i-3pmZHGF-L.jpg

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
Costa Rica is one of the places on my bucket list, and these shots moved it up a line or two :)

Ooo an even better burning steel wool shot. You can't see that in the viewfinder of course so it must be a real buzz looking at the result when finished.

photoman

Explorer
Ooo an even better burning steel wool shot. You can't see that in the viewfinder of course so it must be a real buzz looking at the result when finished.

Oh- you should have heard the arguments between 5 photographers regarding camera settings, amount of wool, angle of spin, and centrifugal force. :smilies27

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
Oh- you should have heard the arguments between 5 photographers regarding camera settings, amount of wool, angle of spin, and centrifugal force. :smilies27

Arguments? Between photographers? About photography? Never :)
honestly though, the look of it hitting and bouncing off the water is freaking cool, Give me some steal wool and 400mm right on the water lol.

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Since I'm going to try this, what tips can you suggest?

Are the sparks big enough to burn anything they land on? Do you need something to get it started? How long does it last? Are you wearing something protective to protect yourself from the sparks, or is it even needed?

I was thinking of standing on one of the sand-bars to be sure and not catch anything on fire, and get the water reflection like you guys did.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Since I'm going to try this, what tips can you suggest?

Are the sparks big enough to burn anything they land on? Do you need something to get it started? How long does it last? Are you wearing something protective to protect yourself from the sparks, or is it even needed?

I was thinking of standing on one of the sand-bars to be sure and not catch anything on fire, and get the water reflection like you guys did.

The sparks are hot and will burn anything they land on so don't do this in the national forest. The area needs to be nothing but water, sand or rock with no vegetation.

A sand bar in the water would be perfect, both for safety as well as the reflections.

No protection was worn except maybe a hat in case one lands on your head. :elkgrin:

Fine steel wool lights easily with just a bic lighter. Depending on how much steel wool you load it with and how fast you spin it, the sparks fly for anywhere from 10-20 seconds.

Go for it and we want to see your results. :sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater