Assistance needed:Looking to convert utility/tool trailer to off-road camping trailer

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
^ what he said.

Very kool trailer, love the doors and all that SPACE! Ditch those stock fenders for some HD ones to cover your new tires, even have some made, They look too swoopy compared to the rest of the trailer. lol

keltic52

Trailer update 3/16/2013

Trailer Update 3/16/2013

Next week's schedule for the trailer:
1) 3500lb axle w/ 5x5.5 bolts
2) New leaf springs and mounts
3) 35" tires on Rubicon wheels w/aluminum spacers
4) Square jeep fenders

And hopefully within the next two weeks:
1) Mounting my Tepui Autana RTT
2) Mounting spare tire
3) Replacing leveling jack
4) Determine where to mount 20lb propane tank
5) Determine where to mount 5-10gal of water

IMG_4123.jpg

keltic52

Trailer Update

Thought I would share the updated pics and status of my offroad trailer... its not as nice as some, but its starting to come along...

New 3500lb axle, 35's on rubicon wheels...

Next step, build a roof rack to mount a roof top tent... anyone up for teaching someone to weld? lol

kswtrailer1.1.jpg

keltic52

So, I'm starting to question my decision to go with 35s. My initial thought was it would be good to match the tire size of my jeep, and provide additional clearance. Now I wounded if it was overkill.

Now that the trailer is higher, I will need to raise my hitch to lessen the angle on the tongue towards the jeep..

rarecj8

Observer
i have used an off-set pintle and it works great. 37s on my trailer and she handles awesome on trail and tracks like a silent partner on the highway. got pix of what ur dealing with?

keltic52

well it was heavy to start with. plan was to have all gear stowed away in the side compartments. plus spare tools, etc then once ready to leave, gas/groceries/ice and it was really heavy. But, tents, cook gear, lanterns, 20lb propane, chairs, etc etc-- it all adds up fast. i was in love w/ the concept but when struggling to tow it into a remote area and resorted to winch for an easy obstacle, that was enough.

Rarecj8,

What do you think your older trailer weighed with and without gear?

I ask, because I just added a rooftop tent and decided to take it to the local truckstop to check the weight. Looks like I'm around 1200lbs with new axle,tires,and fenders... and around 1500lbs with tent and 10gal of gas. Not sure how this weight is gonna impact offroad (not rockcrawling) trips.

rockwood

Adventurer
I like the great base you've selected. My bias would be to prioritize the mods that you list and add one more a 1000w generator.I'd put the axle/wheel change low down on the list, preferring to work on the extra storage and functionality you have planned.
Extending the tongue is the time to modify the hitch away from the 2 inch ball set up you have right now. Here are the M416 dimensions-the tongue is 42 inches-which feels short sometimes.
Overall Length: 114"
Overall Width: 60"
Height: 42"
Box Length: 72" inside
Box Width (top): 46" inside
Box Width (bot): 38" inside
Ground Clearance: 13"

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member