AT Oasis worth the wait?

ibondt

Hi I am looking into off road trailers, I am located in Canada so the list is short of what is available. So far my short list is down to Trans continental Cub Kamparoo, but have been watching and waiting for the AT Oasis hard floor trailer. Will it be worth the wait? Will I have to go through another camping season on the ground in the rotten old tent? Need some advice, i have not seen the Oasis in person and only a few basic Kamparoos. I love the Horizon and Chaser but will not work for my growing family of 5. Love to have any feedback.

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
I think the Oasis is a very nice product and hope to see it on the market sooner than later. I am a little confused on how you are expecting to get a family of 5 in the Oasis. From what I saw it has a queen size bed and the ability to sleep maybe two more on the floor. If this is the case how about going with a Chaser or Horizon with an Eezi Awn 2200 Family tent. Then purchase an Oz Tent and set it up next to the AT trailer. You would have a trailer you can purchase now. This is the route I have chosen. The 2200 would work for all 5 of you if the kids were young. The Oz Tent allows you to have a dry room for getting out of the elements or use it as a restroom.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I have been tracking the Oasis as a great platform for the disabled community.
Recently I spoke with Adventure Trailers and the project is on hold until after the JK top is going strong....I am sure Mario or Martyn will chime in with more info.

I have been holding off really telling people about the Oasis as I don't want AT to get flooded with phone calls before there is anything to sell. However it is also good to know that AT waits until they have a quality product before putting it on the market.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
jbondt: Much of this is not "news" as there are multiple threads covering most of this info; however we originally had a AT Horizon. We loved it for what it was. However like all similar design trailers they leave a bit to be desired if you have, as you do, a family to accommodate and/or not so perfect weather.

When the exchange rate was more favorable we bought ourselves a Kimberley Kamper Sports RV. Depending upon how old/big your kids are you could sleep up to six comfortably: Mom, Dad and a 2-3 year old in the queen (its actually a little wider than an American Queen mattress at 63" wide) and 3 on the hard floor portion of the vestibule. KK even has zip on additional sleeping rooms for children and now adults.

The KK opens and is set-up super fast: Like 3-minutes from unlatching to getting inside if need be. Closing up is more like 15-minutes but still not bad given the relative comfort and size. Yes you can buy a military style trailer along with integral tent, rooms, etc. The problem with these, if you are like me, is the sheer amount of time it takes to set-up/tear down. Better for those week long trips where you're staying in one camp spot. The 'Roo or KK will do either...and do it well.

The KK and 'Roo have a downside just like all fabric tents: Not so good in big wind. But nothing short of a hard-sided camper (ooooo...I'd love to have one of their Karavans!) is going to shed wind quietly or effectively ;-)

We have friends that have a Kamparoo. After 5-of us had, due to inclement weather, to use it as our 'social room' on a trip a few years ago, we were "sold"; thus was our impetus to move from our Horizon to a "clam-shell" type off-road trailer. And they've pulled it up, over and through some very challenging terrain: They are capable!

I hope the AT Oasis comes to market. I think it will be a wonderful offering for those that need/want a little more out of an off-road camping trailer. But until then a 'Roo or KK is a good choice.

Good luck with your decision!

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
As many of you know we showed a prototype Oasis at last years Overland Expo. It was displayed as a concept trailer to see what the interest in a design like this in North America. Judging from the response we started to move ahead with plans for production.

Unfortunately our Australian partner backed out of an agreement to supply us with tents for the Oasis. We then spent months looking for different suppliers none of whom we were convinced could manufacture or supply us with tents that we were 100% comfortable with.

We then started the long search for material to have the tents made out of and last November met with an Australian fabric manufacturer who will make a poly cotton blend, breathable, water resistant, fire proof fabric for us.

We also located a few North American companies who were capable and willing to sew the tents for us.

Everything was starting to come together on the Oasis, we still have a few design issue to resolve, like the slide out kitchen and stiffening out the lid, nothing you don't go through with every project as it gets nearer to completion.

About the same time the JK Topper project started to take off. Jeeps interest in the project started to ramp up and we were given full access to their engineers, sales people, and parts. As part of AT's business plan to diversify we decided to apply our resources to the JK Topper project first.

Once we get JK Topper into production we will reapply our resources to the Oasis trailer. It won't come to market immediately, as Lance said we won't bring a product to market until it's 100%, and there are the issues I previously mentioned to take care of.

So, rather than telling you all the Oasis will be in production on a specific date the best I can do is tell you were are working on it.

A side note on the Kimberly Kampers. Wonderful trailers, I have nothing but praise for them. Please be aware that KK does not currently have an official importer for the USA. They have been given a VIN sequence through the old importer, but technically it is illegal to import one of their trailers, and as such they are liable for re export or destruction.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3

Members online