Aurora Photography

AKSLP

Anyone into photos or videos? Been chasing it all winter. Looking for great remote places and photo setting advice.

photo_i

Explorer
We are planing on going to Yellowknife in August-September, suppose to be good place and time for Aurora Borealis photos.

Sirocco

Explorer
Anyone into photos or videos? Been chasing it all winter. Looking for great remote places and photo setting advice.

223473_602006286491812_1810492923_n.jpg

526366_602006166491824_522119254_n.jpg

Im no expert. The hardest thing is composition in the darkness.

Tripod is obvious and manual focus just back from infinity. Start by using a relatively open aperture F4 and an ISO of about 400 and see what you get. The colours get more intense the longer you expose for. If the greens don't come through try pushing to F8, F16 or even more. If you need longer drop the ISO to 100 or 200.

try to limit outside light and make sure you have a few batteries fully charged. The cold really sucks the life out of them. This is more of a problem with star trail photography but does apply if your out in the cold for sometime.

Shoot lots :D

G

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I didn't see them all Winter up here in Whitehorse, then in the last 2 months they've been mind blowing twice now.

UDIsXqv.jpg

ZWXNilp.jpg

HVy5xUm.jpg)

I also just finished off this timelapse:
(Make sure you choose HD 720p and watch it fullscreen)

-Dan

Last edited:

Sirocco

Explorer
That is good Dan,

We never got the 'wiggles' with ours, just straight lines! I think we had 3 nights with the Northern Lights about 70 degrees North.

And that is another thing, the further North you go, the greater the chance of seeing the Aurora becomes.

G

Askalyota

Aurora Borealis was one of my bucket list things. I was fortunate to have witness a spectacular display of 7 Kp activity in Fairbanks last March 2013. You did not specify what type of camera you have ie film,P&S DSLR? You said that you have been chasing the lights all winter so I will assume that you were not successful hence the inquiry about settings and remote places? I live where I just can't look out my window to see if there are any light activities happening. I've never seen or photograph the lights before and it was going to be very expensive endeavor to do it. Travel, lodging and 4x4 rental and good winter boots and clothing for the -30 bone-chilling coldness. I really had to maximize my chances. That's where the web came to play. With the advent of the internet, there are a wealth of great info that will point you the way. There are 3 main factors in order to see the lights. 1.weather clear skies, 2. location/orientation to minimize the light pollutions, 3. Time of day late in the evening or early mornings. I notice that you are in Alaska so you are already in a great starting point. I will share some of the tools that help me maximize my chances.
Aurora activity KP forecast here http://www.softservenews.com/Aurora.htm
Aurora Web Liveview camera here http://salmon.nict.go.jp/live/aurora_cam/live_aurora_cam_e.html
Alaska weather forecast your choice
http://www.alaskaphotographics.com/...h-the-northern-lights-with-a-digital-camera/#

One of my capture during the 7Kp activity:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 5

photo_i

Explorer
...and good winter boots and clothing for the -30 bone-chilling coldness.

That's why I want to go to Yellowknife in August. :) I exchanged some emails with park rangers there and they say it is a very good time of the year to see the Northern Lights.

Askalyota

That's why I want to go to Yellowknife in August. :) I exchanged some emails with park rangers there and they say it is a very good time of the year to see the Northern Lights.

@phot_i, great on your part! :bowdown: I have never been to Yellowknife and from the little search that I just did, it is definitely a very nice place.
However, the OP is already in Alaska. Which is why I did not address the remote places the OP was asking. Alaska have plenty of remote places to hunt for the elusive Aurora Borealis. Don't make sense for the OP to leave Alaska and to travel all the way to where you want to be in Aug-Sept since he is already in a great location where the lights will be visible. As far as location, I don't think Yellowknife is any better place to view the Norther Lights. And as far as weather go in Aug-Sept I don't think that there is much of a difference the whether makes between the two places since they are within that latitudes for viewing the lights and experience the same climate. I'm sure you pick that time of the year for the nicer weather and fits your plans. But there are more cloudy days during Aug-Sept compare to March/April. Hence, it was more important for me to maximize my chances in my hunt for the elusive Northern Lights than the weather factor. Happy Hunting!:ylsmoke:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater