auto vs manual

MichaelFromAZ

Wanted to hear some opinoins on what is better for expo/overland exploring. I have a 99 4runner and I searched and searched and searched for a v6 5spd with no luck and settled for the 4 banger 5spd but now I am wondering if I should have just went with the auto... I have seen many of toyotas auto trans take a crap from normal daily driving so i figured a 5 spd would be more reliable but to what point? I was just watching some youtube videos of 4runners and landcrushers crossing rivers and saw one fail because the clutch got wet and didnt want to grab anymore. your thoughts?

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
both are fine...

I prefer standards, but the DC was only in auto, so I went with it. I think the auto is fine with fluid changes and I added an aftermarket cooler to help.

I think the river crossings are so few for us, I wouldn't worry about that issue!

I like my 5 speed. Makes me feel more "in command" of the vehicle.

(But, then again, I'm a control freak. ha!)

:smiley_drive:

Desert Dan

Explorer
I prefer stick shifts any day but they are getting harder to find in new vehicles:(

PS
Don't shift while in deep water as oil in the bellhousing may get on the clutch plate when shifting

RU55ELL

Explorer
I prefer stick shifts any day but they are getting harder to find in new vehicles:(

I know that's the truth. I'm looking for a DC TRD manual truck and they are very few and far between.

To stay on topic, I see it like this: when an auto goes out, it usually happens quickly. If you lose a gear on the manual, at least you have other gears to help you limp back to civilization. On the flipside, either can have immediate catastrophic damage that could render either one useless. Take it for what it is worth. :elkgrin:

max adams

Observer
I prefer manual for the control, the ability to repair myself and can still start the vehicle if the starter fails.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Every car I had owned previous to my Tacoma had been a manual. Thought I would never want an auto. But I really like the auto in my Tacoma. I can now eat while I text while I drive!

CJCA

Adventurer
Wanted to hear some opinoins on what is better for expo/overland exploring. I have a 99 4runner and I searched and searched and searched for a v6 5spd with no luck and settled for the 4 banger 5spd but now I am wondering if I should have just went with the auto... I have seen many of toyotas auto trans take a crap from normal daily driving so i figured a 5 spd would be more reliable but to what point? I was just watching some youtube videos of 4runners and landcrushers crossing rivers and saw one fail because the clutch got wet and didnt want to grab anymore. your thoughts?

You’re better off with the 5 speed if you run a 4 cylinder. 4 cylinder torque converters are generally less efficient than their V6 counterpart and you’ll utilize more of your 4 cylinders potential with a manual transmission. And usually the manual transmission has an extra underdriven gear that the automatic doesn’t have that you can take advantage of, especially on steep grades – which you'll be happy to have with a 4 cylinder.

A general rule of thumb is if you want an automatic transmission, go for the optional larger engine. V6 converters don’t need to be as sloppy as 4 cylinders as the extra HP/torque needs less stall/slippage to move the vehicle. Either converter is 100% efficient when in lockup. It’s when they’re not in lockup that makes the difference.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

I prefer Automatic, because I don't have three feet!....:elkgrin:

You would be amazed at the amount of control you can have with your left foot on the brake. And your right foot on the gas. Yes! I do that!

It's a very comforting feeling for me.

Just my humble opinion and preference.

Rando

Explorer
I would second this sentiment. If you are going to do remote travel, having the ability to roll start in the case of a bad starter or a flat battery can be very useful. A roll start has gotten me out of a bind more than once!

I prefer manual for the control, the ability to repair myself and can still start the vehicle if the starter fails.

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire

Not to mention the transponder issue. If you get your key wet and the transponder fails, the only way you can start it will be to push start it. All years after 2004 Tacos have the transponders in the keys.

Every car I had owned previous to my Tacoma had been a manual. Thought I would never want an auto. But I really like the auto in my Tacoma. I can now eat while I text while I drive!

:coffeedrink:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Not to mention the transponder issue. If you get your key wet and the transponder fails, the only way you can start it will be to push start it. All years after 2004 Tacos have the transponders in the keys.

Hijack on: How sensitive to getting wet are the keys? If the transponder quits because of getting wet will it work again after it has dried out, or is it done?

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
Hijack on: How sensitive to getting wet are the keys? If the transponder quits because of getting wet will it work again after it has dried out, or is it done?

From what I understand, once it gets wet, its toast! The construction seems relatively resistant to moisture, but if you dropped it in a puddle you would probably be in trouble. Only saw it fail once on a friends truck, but once was enough... not in my rig.... there are other stupid things I would rather fail... ones that can be cheated or "fixed."

He got a new key and has no trouble since, but had to push start his taco for a week. Out in the middle of nowhere with an auto and there would be no way to start it...

bmh

Adventurer
I prefer auto, you don't have to worry about stalling, ever. gas and brake at the same time.

VicHanson

Adventurer
Hopefully I will be soon selling my last automatic vehicle! I wanted a used 4x4 van here in Peru, and could only find an automatic so reluctantly bought that. I later had a dead battery due to an electrical short at about 15,000 feet up on a cold, snowy mountain, a LONG ways from a main road and any help. Thankfully I had turned the van facing downhill and was able to coast down about 5 miles or so to within a couple hundred feet of the main highway, and flagged down a pickup to jump start my van. If there would have been any uphills in the road I would have been stuck, but it was all one nice long downhill. With a manual could have just gotten in rolling, put it in gear and started it up.

I just bought a used Isuzu NPR truck (in the U.S.), had to look a long time to get a manual in good condition but finally found one. Even in medium duty trucks, almost all are autos nowadays. I have heard that it is due to all of you guys who want to talk and text on your phones while driving!! :sombrero:

PS Use the hand brake if you need to get started going uphill. Of course you have to put the cell phone down! hahaha
Vic

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz