auto vs manual

I've never really had a preference. I like all the aspects of my manual that everyone has mentioned and it is fun to drive when goofing off. Having said that I never found myself wishing that I had a manual when I had my XJ.

Since you whent with a 4 cyl 4runner I think you would regret having an auto. When I was shopping for my truck I drove a 2.7 auto and it was a little sluggish, well my 5-speed isn't exactly the fastest thing either:smiley_drive:, but I feel like you can get a little more out of the 4 cyl with the manual. The reliability is definitely there with a manual just dont shift during a water crossing.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
MT certainly has its advantages but I like my AT off-road. Even with the larger tires, armor, etc. the 3RZ handles it well, especially with the re-gear to 5.29. It almost feels like having a crawler in 4LO 1st gear. Plus, a little brake-throttle modulation using both feet makes most obstacles I confront pretty easy to deal with.

I guess I'm getting too soft in my old age but I hate rowing my way up the trail and my left quads being larger than my right quads.

frgtwn

Adventurer
Boxers, boxers, boxer briefs, or commando!? (quote)
---------------------

Depends. :sombrero:[/QUOTE]

--------------

Oh, I'm sorry. Guess I'm getting older, too. (Hey! Are they on sale at Costco?)

JayGannon

Adventurer
Then you need to practice... Just like playing drums blindfolded. You're not supposed to be looking down there. You're supposed to be engaged with the band, the audience. Ditto for marching drummers. They're taught to not look down to see what they're doing.

Stephanie

I wouldn't agree with that, a manual is naturally more engaging of the driver than an auto, thats just a physical fact. No one is looking at their feet when driving , its the act of concentrating on shifting to maintain the power band and the physical attention of shifting regularly, thats naturally requires the driver to be managing the vehicle's processes as opposed to managing their travel and surroundings. I suppose I just look at the vehicle as a tool to travel as opposed to enjoying the fact of driving.

max adams

Observer
There are other trail failures that can happen and you can still limp home with a manual transmission. A manual can still operate dry, if you cracked or punctured your trans you could get your vehicle safely to the road. I have driven home with no brakes a couple times, I wouldn't attempt it in an auto. I have also bought several vehicles with worn out clutches, I start them in second gear and drive them on my carefully planed route home. I love my manuals they have a wear item called a clutch that I can change myself for less than $300. I also realize I am a little unique in the sense that I look for vehicles with problems and buy them for a fraction of the cost. Really it is all a matter of personal opinion, someday either one will let you down but the odds are in my favour in my manual.

RU55ELL

Explorer
I can buy an entire used automatic for $300.

And 90% of the time, you have no history on it. You could very possibly end up swapping out 4 used autos in the time a brand new clutch is swapped in, then you have 1200 dollars in used trannys opposed to $300 one time; not to mention the time and labor needed to swap them in and out.

Manual for me too. :)

evanthebruin

My current (2nd) 4runner is my first auto and I wouldn't have it any other way. It makes the off-road driving I do much more enjoyable. Learning curve in the rocks was way better for me. I know there are guys who are surgical with the clutch in the rocks, though a lot of those guys also have double transfer cases too. I'm not that guy. I haven't heard of many problems with Toyota A340 autos either, not noticeably more than their manual counterparts as long as superchargers etc. aren't involved.

That said, whenever I see a Porsche or any proper sports car with an auto it just kind of bugs me but that's a whole other story...:smiley_drive:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz