AWD Chevy Express Passenger Van - Roof Fan Install

CurlyFry

I would like to put a fantastic roof fan in my express. I am unsure where to cut the hole as it is a passenger van, my concern is because of the wiring and duct work for the rear climate control. Would anyone be able to provide some guidance on where to cut? I would hate to mess up the interior as I still want to maintain its passenger interior. Thanks in advance!

45Kevin

Adventurer
Just remove the ceiling panel and find a clear spot.
I think the duct runs up the side until it gets to the place where it spans across the ceiling, and as far as I remember the wiring all runs along the side/s of the ceiling.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
This calls for exploratory surgery lol
As said, open up the interior look for a good 14X14 area to put a fan... and cut hahaha

CurlyFry

Is opening up the interior an easy job? Last thing I want to do is destroy the headliner... Was hoping somebody had done it in the past. Thanks for your responses guys!

Is your rear air factory or was it an add on from a conversion company? If you can post or pm me your vin I can tell for sure based on the build codes of your van. You could remove the rear dome lamp to give you a small hole to possibly see the inner workings of what's above your headliner. If you are all clear above where you want to put the fan, you could take careful measurements from a cargo van to see where the roof braces are to cut your 14x14 hole between them.

Campbulance

Observer
Take a look at my build thread on page 3(link in the signature). I put one in my express cargo van. It may give you some ideas. I placed mine more towards the front of the cargo area but it can be placed anywhere you see fit(except through rails). Most of my wiring comes down the top driver side pillar in a conduit. I don't know how your AC system would be positioned as mine started as a cargo van w/o it.

You are going to want to remove your headliner anyways to make the cuts since metal shavings will get everywhere. Once the headliner is down you will see where everything is placed including the cross support rails. I don't know whats involved with that but I imagine it will be remove the plastic panels and stuff that are in the way and then remove push clips in the headliner. The front was that way, the rear will probably be similar. If it seems like to big a job you might want to find a place that can do it for you.

BobbyJones

Observer
Not what you're asking, but if it seems overwhelming to roof mount it, I saw one mounted in a rear window somewhere...

bdog1

Adventurer
My Ford van had a "pad" in the sheet metal of the roof, clearly noticeable from outside, for mounting a vent. Not sure about the Chevys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

samuraiiamori

Hey CurlyFry - did you ever get your fan installed? I’m about to step into the same project and could use some words of wisdom.

Corneilius

Adventurer
Cool rear window van. Never seen one done in conjunction with a pop out. A lot cleaner look from the exterior. Does it seem to flow as well? Fan source? Looks like a radiator fan.

JayKray

Yes, I had two radiator fans from past projects and the control boards, switches and pot were dirt cheap on Amazon. The most expensive thing about the project for me was that small electrical enclosure.
It flows pretty well, but could be better and quieter. I'm going to try the other fan when I get a chance. The cross sectional area available with the pop out window is pretty significant.

HA! @86scotty That fan you posted is in my Amazon "Van list" It was going to be my backup if I didn't like the radiator fans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz

Members online