Awning install?

kodiak-black

Observer
Has anyone installed an awning on their aftermarket truck camper? I ordered my Northstar Liberty purposely without an awning because they did not offer a 270* awning.

For those that did do an install. I'm assuming you locate a "stud" of sorts, some dicor, some butyl tape, appropriate length screws and that should be about it?

Are there any other things I should be concerned about? Did you get a schematic of the camper to identify mounting points? Did you contact the manufacturer to identify the mounting points?

Thanks in advance

WOODY2

Adventurer
i'd really do your homework as 270's are heavy. Placing them on a unit that's designed to be as light as possible could be problematic.

kodiak-black

Observer
i'd really do your homework as 270's are heavy. Placing them on a unit that's designed to be as light as possible could be problematic.

For sure. It is precisely the reason I asked to see if anyone has tried it. In all likelihood I'll try a tarp style awning allowing for some flexibility as which side I can have shade.

ripperj

Explorer
Did you make any progress with this? I’m in the same boat (N* Adventurer)
Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

kodiak-black

Observer
Did you make any progress with this? I’m in the same boat (N* Adventurer)
Thx

I've made zero progress as far as mounting an awning. I ordered a Slumber Jack awning. I haven't used it yet but I am optimistic. Ultimately it came down to cost and flexibility. I was never quite happy with the awning being on a fixed side. And then there's the cost.

ripperj

Explorer
I have a Napa $99 special, but I have not done anything with it yet either.
Did you get the Roadhouse with screens?
It’s looks pretty cool if usable on a camper

Bob W

Cant say enough good things about Dragon Fly Tarps. Put on our our big truck this past summer super happy, very easy to set up and very adjustable. That's if your looking for a soft tarp.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Not sure how strong your corners/panels are but this is what we do.

Attachments

• total composites accessory bracket install guide.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 20

billiebob

Not sure how strong your corners/panels are but this is what we do.
This is an awesome solution.

But no matter how it is fastened most of the awnings sold and especially the 270 degree ones are awfully heavy with massive leverage. I have seen a few left up overnite destroyed by a wind storm. And they tend to damage the camper in the process.

I lean towards the NAPA $99 Awning or even a Dragon Fly Tarp or two. Mostly for light weight but also for simplifying the install. The lighter it is the less backing you need.

I'll be building my own this spring, both sides, 5x9 with Bimini Boat Canopy hardware.

Last edited:

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
This is an awesome solution.

But no matter how it is fastened most of the awnings sold and especially the 270 degree ones are awfully heavy with massive leverage. I have seen a few left up overnite destroyed by a wind storm. And they tend to damage the camper in the process.

I lean towards the NAPA $99 Awning or even a Dragon Fly Tarp or two. Mostly for light weight but also for simplifying the install. The lighter it is the less backing you need.

I'll be building my own this spring, both sides, 5x9 with Bimini Boat Canopy hardware.

I fully agree with the forces on an awning. We had our ARB out in heavy storms and it survived. We have a bigger 180 awning on our trailer and it will not stay out in wind.
Btw, we have tested (without destruction) our mounting brackets to 150kg/300lb load without any sign of weakness. 259998732_1585715911771553_6204403049674539155_n.jpeg

kodiak-black

Observer
I have a Napa $99 special, but I have not done anything with it yet either.
Did you get the Roadhouse with screens?
It’s looks pretty cool if usable on a camper

I bought only the tarp, not the screen room.

kodiak-black

Observer
Cant say enough good things about Dragon Fly Tarps. Put on our our big truck this past summer super happy, very easy to set up and very adjustable. That's if your looking for a soft tarp.

I like the Dragon Fly tarps. I just thought they are pretty expensive. They may be worth it but the Lumberjack tarp at $130 it seemed worth the risk. Would you have a picture of the Dragon Fly on your truck? I'd love to see how you employed it.

Bob W

I hear you on the cost but...buy once cry once! Definitely worth the money for us. Biggest things are ease of set up and adjustability. Installation took all of 30 mins, including drilling in the four screws as back up protection (otherwise held in place with 3M tape. Set up in camp takes al of 15 mins, typically 10 mins. Adjustability...awesome! We have had this set up in windy condition no problems once it is adjusted for the direction wind is coming from. Raining, you can adjust it to spill water to either side or off the front. Sun low on the horizon, just drop move the poles and drop the front flap. Oh you can make all these adjustments with out taking the tarp down. All you have to do is take some tension out of the guy lines are super as well. Must sound like we work for them, we do not just a great product. Only negative is that you cant easily use this on hard surfaces since you need to stake it. You could use sand bags if you really wanted to.

Added some pics to show the adaptability! Hope this helps.Photo_1080295452_DJI_28_jpg_5759990_0_2021716184424_photo_original.JPGPhoto_1080295438_DJI_14_jpg_6217155_0_2021716184136_photo_original.JPGPhoto_1080295455_DJI_31_jpg_7710308_0_2021716184520_photo_original.JPGPhoto_1080295464_DJI_40_jpg_6200091_0_2021716184648_photo_original.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger