AZ Astro Van project - slow build - advice welcomed 2004 AWD LT

ert01

Adventurer
Here's a question for you Astro types...

My brother purchased an Astro awd. It's lifted 2" and on 235's. Seems like an awesome lil rig but I keep thinking itd sure go a lot more places with a rear diff locker. I see people mention the G80 code and the limited slip that it implies, but are there any other options for guys to add into a stock Astro diff? Specifically, I'm thinking of a Lockright or Spartan style Aussie locker thing... Cheap and easy.

Is there one that works in the Astros and are there any issues with the awd system if you install a diff lock?

This awd stuff is new to me. Every 4x4 I've owned has a proper transfer case and solid axles.

Last edited:

Stroverlander

Adventurer
Besides the G80 option code factory Eaton rear locker (which you can buy used/rebuilt on Ebay for cheap) for the GM 10-bolt 7.5" / 7.625" 28 spline rear end, there are Yukon and Auburn LSDs, Eaton True Trac helical gear LSD, Richmond Powertrax No-Slip and Powertrax Lock-Right lockers available.

The Astro does have a 'proper' transfer case (pre-'99 full-time viscous BW4472, '99-up part-time electronic NV136), just single speed which can be replaced with more than a few 2-speed transfer cases from other GM models. Rear locker has no effect on AWD system function.

Last edited:

nobodyhome

Adventurer
:iagree:
Moving forward as not to hyjack AZ's thread...

Last we heard, his tires were on their last leg and he was trying to find a good tire size that works now, and when he installs the 2" lift.
Being a newbie myself, I just had the same problem. I went with 235/75/16 and instantly regretted it... MAJOR rub!
I'd go 225/75/16, loose an insignificant amount of ground clearance but gain wheel well clearance when flexing... what do you guys think?

Last edited:

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
...I went with 235/75/16 and instantly regretted it...I'd go 225/75/16, loose ~1/2 ground clearance...

You'd lose less than 1/2" of ground clearance. Half of that I think.

235/75-16 tires: 235 / 25.49 = 9.2 * .75 = 6.9 * 2 = 13.8 +16 = 29.8" tall
225/75-16 tires: 225 / 25.49 = 8.8 * .75 = 6.6 * 2 = 13.2 +16 = 29.2" tall

Total height difference is .6" so loss of ground clearance would be half that amount, .3". That's of course an academic answer, not based on actual tires. So I went to tirerack dot com and compared the specs for Firestone Destination LE which is available in both 235/75-16 and 225/75-16. Total height difference between these tires as published by Firestone is .5", so less than I calculated (.6"). The real-world loss of ground clearance would be .25" (1%), as half the tire's height is above the axle centerline and half is below. Maybe a better illustration of this is here at tacomaworld. You can overlay the tires and get a picture of it.

Last edited:

nobodyhome

Adventurer

WOW, AWESOME answer! Thanks for the details; fellow Engineer? hehheh
I was guessing, but you are right on. Yes, I do regret my size decision at this point; I will likely end up doing springs and rear-end helper bags to solve my issues.

2001Safari

20150625_104752_resized_1.jpg

Great to see another Astro/Safari, and with recent postings too. I'm new to Expedition but if there is anything I can help with, I've done some work. Mine is a true 2wd with Lock-Right. Never had any issues getting where I need to go, besides gas money. Got 6" lift w/ 245/75r16. The tires rubbed until I cut PLASTIC, and I was able to keep a lot of my appearance intact. Let me know if you want pics.

AZAstroVanNovice

New, need advice.
I learn from all of this.

I am going through a "reverse stock split" so my project is slow slow right now until the dealing is done

AZAstroVanNovice

New, need advice.

235/75-16 tires: 235 / 25.49 = 9.2 * .75 = 6.9 * 2 = 13.8 +16 = 29.8" tall
225/75-16 tires: 225 / 25.49 = 8.8 * .75 = 6.6 * 2 = 13.2 +16 = 29.2" tall

Total height difference is .6" so loss of ground clearance would be half that amount, .3". here at tacomaworld. You can overlay the tires and get a picture of it.

Mwilliamshs - This is a great post. Thanks

AZAstroVanNovice

New, need advice.
Nobodyhome - I have not. the "reverse stock split" is divorce, so I am laying a bit low until it is final, but I am doing the little things (Tint, reflective window inserts, upgrade head lamps) but I am dying to get the part so I can go UP

nobodyhome

Adventurer
Sorry AZ, I'm so dense sometimes I swear light bends around me. Good luck with it, hope she doesn't take the Ice Trays like mine did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kabobkabobkabob