Baby Jeep 2015 Renegade?

762X39

Explorer
I love this new baby jeep. Back when everyone was buying CJ's I bought a Lada Niva and found it to be just what I wanted. This new Jeep "Panda" (yeah I remember the Fiat Panda) sounds like the perfect back roads and fire roads SUV for me. I already have a pickup truck and a Unimog so I have no use for a real Jeep (whatever the heck that means), I find them to be bloated,not as well built as I think they should be (if only Chrysler hadn't got involved...) and really, not anywhere as useful as the original. I wish the new Renegade a prosperous future, I'll probably get one and have no problems with a 9 speed auto-box or a gasser engine.:coffee:

zelatore

Explorer
Why is that a deal breaker? autos have better mileage than manuals, are faster and the get in and go is great. Not having to worry about clutches and rowing your way home is a total bonus.

Spoken like a non-enthusiast.

And although I haven't done any direct like-for-like comparisons on the latest autos, the only 'autos' that I've seen be faster or more efficient than a well driven manual are the robo-manuals. Meaning computer shifted manual transmissions that still have a clutch (or two). Torque converters are inherently inefficient.

As for 'faster', maybe in a drag race but not in real driving where you have to be in the right gear at the right time. New automatics can be pretty good, but they don't know what the road will do in 100 yards and can't predict if they should up shift, hold the gear, or down shift nearly as well as a human who can see what's coming.

And then there's the simple fun factor. It's just more enjoyable to shift your own gears in any fun-to-drive car. At least from the enthusiast perspective.

Now would I want a manual in something like this? Can't say; I do prefer an auto in my trucks, but a manual in my cars. This is sort of in-between. Not sporty and fun to drive like a good car, but not a workhorse like a good truck.

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
I think this is going to be my wife's new vehicle. Still waiting on pricing in Canada.

Unfortunately she'll need an auto but the 2.4 with 9spd should be a pretty decent combo in such a small car.

IMI

but the biggest handicap is the VIN number : it's a Fiat VIN ??

Gtrts

Well, it's made by Fiat :). But this is actually a pre-series, and not a US-destined VIN at all, so that it's likely that regular production VINs will vary significantly. Fiat code for the vehicle is 520, plant is (no surprise) Melfi and sequence No. here is prototype 309.

J

JWP58

I just discovered the Renegade today (ya I know...). I dig it. I'm going to check them out whenever they hit dealers. Im in no hurry to get rid of my Taco, but depending on the cargo room, this has potential.

If by chance (its a long shot I know since the only engines so far are the 1.4L and 2.4L) it gets a 4cyl diesel, and a manual trans....Im in.

RoyJ

Adventurer
Spoken like a non-enthusiast.

And although I haven't done any direct like-for-like comparisons on the latest autos, the only 'autos' that I've seen be faster or more efficient than a well driven manual are the robo-manuals. Meaning computer shifted manual transmissions that still have a clutch (or two). Torque converters are inherently inefficient.

As for 'faster', maybe in a drag race but not in real driving where you have to be in the right gear at the right time. New automatics can be pretty good, but they don't know what the road will do in 100 yards and can't predict if they should up shift, hold the gear, or down shift nearly as well as a human who can see what's coming.

And then there's the simple fun factor. It's just more enjoyable to shift your own gears in any fun-to-drive car. At least from the enthusiast perspective.

Now would I want a manual in something like this? Can't say; I do prefer an auto in my trucks, but a manual in my cars. This is sort of in-between. Not sporty and fun to drive like a good car, but not a workhorse like a good truck.

10 years ago, I would've agreed with you 100%. Back then, I though the idea of auto in a sportscar was absolutely nuts, and a waste of a good engine and chassis.

These days, afraid it's the entire opposite. Drag race, road course, unexpected hwy passing, manuals can't touch the latest 8/9 speed ZF transmissions. Go to any sportscar forum and the fastest times are set with autos. Look at the Nurburgring times, just about any sportscar with an auto (torque converter or dual clutch) option, the run is done with an auto.

As for predictability - again, with the lightning fast 200 ms shifts, they don't NEED to predict. In my Ram with the Hemi and 8 spd ZF, I've yet to see one situation (sudden corner, need to pass, etc) where it can't react fast enough.

I will agree with you on the fun factor though - nothing beats blipping the throttle and rev matching as you brake into a hairpin on a warm summer morning windy mountain road! Unfortunately, that accounts for 5% of my driving in my Z06, the other times stuck in bumper to bumper traffic, I wish it's an auto.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
ahhh, its called growing up. You no longer want to be rowing the lever anymore instead just put it in drive and .........drive. im 38 now and done with manuals. I love getting in the rig, not worrying about shifting and enjoying off roading and sipping my bevvies while im doing it.

zelatore

Explorer
Well, I'm push the mid-40s and I still only shop manual cars. The only car I'd want with an auto would be a track-focused ride and then I'd actually be looking at an automated manual transmission, not a traditional torque converter auto. Something like the Porsche dual-clutch unit perhaps.

I haven't driven any of the newest 8 and 9 speed units; and I know the tech gets better every year. And although they shift faster/better with improved software they still can't predict what gear I'll want for the next corner, or if I want to hold a gear a little longer because I'm planning to make a pass in a couple seconds, or whatever.

I don't deny they're easier/more comfortable for plain-Jane commuting or heavy stop and go traffic. And, sadly, I have to admit I don't actually even own a car any longer. Just the Rover, my truck, my work van, and the wife's company chevy minivan (Traverse). My only manuals are the Triumphs. (and autos are starting to creep into the bike world too).

That said, the last car was a BMW 335i sedan. And yeah, it was a 6 speed. Before that was an A4. 6-speed. Before that was a Saab 9-3. 5-Speed. Before that a whole string of Alfas. All 5-speeds. Etc, etc. I may be getting old(er) but I'm not ready to give up my clutch in anything sporting. You're only as old as your left foot!

GetOutThere

Adventurer
I saw a completely de-badged Renegade Trailhawk on the Canadian 401 a bit over a week ago.

Overall I liked the look. I found it looked much less feminine in real life, and had some pretty decent clearance and angles.

Sadly, once the driver realized we were keeping pace and taking pictures, he decided to start driving like an idiot to evade photos. We backed off once this started, and went on our merry way, sadly only getting to spend a couple of minute ogling the Jeep newbie.

Unfortunate footnote: My wrangler was in the shop for a new PS pump, so I was driving a rental Compass (which ironically, does not have a compass).

haven

Expedition Leader
http://indefinitelywild.gizmodo.com/will-the-2015-jeep-renegade-be-any-good-off-road-1580389048

Gizmodo editors cornered Phil Jansen, Chrysler Vehicle Line executive in charge of the Renegade and other small vehicles. Previously, Jansen spent 20 years working with the Grand Cherokee. Conclusion: Jansen is in position to know what he's talking about when it comes to Jeep performance.

Jansen rates the Jeep line as follows: If the Wrangler rates a 10 on an imaginary scale for off-road capability, then Jansen gives the Grand Cherokee an 8, and the new Cherokee a 6. Jansen says the new Renegade will rate a 4, primarily because its small engine options lack torque compared to V6 and V8s found in the other models. However, the new 9 speed auto trans and 2.4L engine give the Renegade a noticeable torque advantage over the Compass/Patriot models. And the Renegade has more modern electronic traction controls.

Jansen says all Jeeps offer best-in-class off-road performance. So the Renegade will be superior for driving off pavement, compared to other AWD entries in the new subcompact crossover class.

I think the biggest challenge for subcompact AWD vehicles is that they cost almost as much as slightly larger models, and may not return any better fuel economy. For example, the Subaru XV Crosstrek is about 8 inches longer than the Renegade, which means more rear legroom and more cargo space. With 2.0L four cylinder engine, 5 speed manual trans, and AWD, the Crosstrek is rated to deliver 30mpg highway. Starting price: $22K. Add $1000 for the CVT automatic, and the highway rating improves to 33 mpg.

haven

Expedition Leader
Looks like prospective buyers of a AWD subcompact will have a second choice from Fiat Chrysler automobiles (FCA). The Fiat 500X is in testing, and will likely debut in Spring 2015.
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2016-fiat-500x-spy-photos-news

It will be interesting to see how FCA will differentiate between the Renegade and 500X. Both will offer FWD and AWD options. The Renegade probably will offer a baby Trailhawk version with increased ground clearance and a skidplate or two.

haven

Expedition Leader
Autoblog later admitted the $19,000 starting price was a mistake. however, the actual price will have to be in this neighborhood. That's probably for a front wheel drive version. Jeep still sells plenty of Compass and Patriot models in this price range. The Renegade will replace them both.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk