badm0t0rfinger's 2014 Raptor build

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
You're probably over weight now. Best to trade it for a 1 ton dually diesel.

Congrats!

Remember this from a few pages back?

Seriously though it towed great! I am looking at leaf springs to remove the spacer block anyways but that is down the line. I finally received my new awning but its been crap weather out here, with the exception of last saturday when I picked up the ski... you can actually see the mounts on on top of the rack. I have a few other small parts on the way but ran into my first big shipping issues since the middle of the pandemic last year. I will post as I get them. Thank you, this is something I had been toying with for about 2 years and I finally made the jump because life is short, you know?

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
Naaa.... Still not enough truck. Needs to be at least an F550, crew cab, 4x4, with a 12' flatbed, and 900,000,000,000 watts of solar on the roof.

Why stop there. LET THE GUZZOLINE FLOW!

FRD-23519r_Mad-Max_Large-Truck.jpg

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
Forgot to tell you. My fam has a ski I use from time to time, let's his the bay when it warms up. I don't like cold water.

I'm down for the bay or Fiesta Island. I was gonna take it out this weekend. Shouldn't have to deal with any of that rain or overcast we've had the past few weeks. I used to ride into the fall back up in Michigan and was one of the first people putting skis in the water in spring. Water is warmer earlier in the season up that way though.

Naaaaa... No swing out spare tire carrier or eleventy billion pound winch.

I don't think I can be that overland chic right now. Shoot, I don't even have an overland bound medalion.

My shopping for a travel trailer is a similar endeavour. I will retire in 23 months from the Guard and will finally have my weekends and summers back.... Then it's time start buying instead of shopping.

I totally get that, I always make fun of my counterparts who are like less than 2 years away from retiring and buy HUGE purchases like that without thinking ahead, but then again if you've been saving up and thats the plan, have at it. I'm at least 10 years away from that, and probably more since I'll have to do 10 more years from my date of commissioning. Plus this was on the low end of cost spectrum compared to a big trailer like what you're talking about or a small bought...

Though I think a live aboard sailboat is still in my future.

D

Deleted member 9101

I totally get that, I always make fun of my counterparts who are like less than 2 years away from retiring and buy HUGE purchases like that without thinking ahead, but then again if you've been saving up and thats the plan, have at it. I'm at least 10 years away from that, and probably more since I'll have to do 10 more years from my date of commissioning. Plus this was on the low end of cost spectrum compared to a big trailer like what you're talking about or a small bought...

Though I think a live aboard sailboat is still in my future.

We'll be under 20k...so we'll write a check and be done with it. The spousal unit and I have been saving for years to be able to buy what we like and do so cash.

The sail boat is pretty neat. I have a close friend who grew up on one and he loved it.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
We'll be under 20k...so we'll write a check and be done with it. The spousal unit and I have been saving for years to be able to buy what we like and do so cash.

The sail boat is pretty neat. I have a close friend who grew up on one and he loved it.

See thats totally reasonable. One of our senior chiefs who is about a year from retiring recently bought an F350 to tow his toy hauler... both financed. I'm not up in his financials but still seems... unsustainable when your income drops by about 60 percent and you have no plan. I mean short of selling the house. I financed about 75 percent of the ski for 4 years, I could have paid for it outright but Im riding the market wave and once I sell out I can just pay the rest off. I've always been a fan of keeping the cash on hand for other uses, if the need arises.

I used to sail around the great lakes with my grandpa. Nothing more than 2 or 3 days as it was a very small rig, with no real accommodations for cooking or the facilities but we made it work. Was exceptionally fun. Something bigger with a toiler and provisions for a shower would be amazing.

An acquaintance of mine actually PCS'ed by sailboat. https://www.navytimes.com/off-duty/...ailors-pcs-across-the-pacific-in-a-36-footer/

Sadly he passed away a few years later in a diving accident.

D

Deleted member 9101

See thats totally reasonable. One of our senior chiefs who is about a year from retiring recently bought an F350 to tow his toy hauler... both financed. I'm not up in his financials but still seems... unsustainable when your income drops by about 60 percent and you have no plan. I mean short of selling the house.

I used to sail around the great lakes with my grandpa. Nothing more than 2 or 3 days as it was a very small rig, with no real accommodations for cooking or the facilities but we made it work. Was exceptionally fun. Something bigger with a toiler and provisions for a shower would be amazing.

An acquaintance of mine actually PCS'ed by sailboat. https://www.navytimes.com/off-duty/...ailors-pcs-across-the-pacific-in-a-36-footer/

Sadly he passed away a few years later in a diving accident.

Yeah...this round will be a 24-26' bunk house camper. We'll buy a nice one, but used, so soneone else can eat the depreciation. My F150 will tow it with no problems and it's bit enough to be comfortable yet small enough to be used in Florida State Parks.

As of now the plan is to keep my truck for another 17 years and then upgrade to a 1 ton and get a 35' travel trailer with 3-4 slide outs. Might get a toy hauler, just depends on what we're into in the future.

As for keeping it simple with grandpa, I grew up camping in a old canvas tent and sleeping on a WWII surplus cot. My grandpa would load all the gear in his Chevy Luv and we would go hunting, fishing, and camping on a shoe string budget.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
Yeah...this round will be a 24-26' bunk house camper. We'll buy a nice one, but used, so soneone else can eat the depreciation. My F150 will tow it with no problems and it's bit enough to be comfortable yet small enough to be used in Florida State Parks.

As of now the plan is to keep my truck for another 17 years and then upgrade to a 1 ton and get a 35' travel trailer with 3-4 slide outs. Might get a toy hauler, just depends on what we're into in the future.

As for keeping it simple with grandpa, I grew up camping in a old canvas tent and sleeping on a WWII surplus cot. My grandpa would load all the gear in his Chevy Luv and we would go hunting, fishing, and camping on a shoe string budget.

I just bought new because I got a 6 year warranty with it and most of the used stuff here is last seasons rental fleet, and I know those things get beat. I like buying new and just taking care of it. I know I take the hit in depreciation, but having control of the vehicles maintenance throughout its life is appealing to me. Don't get me wrong I'm always looking out for a good deal. This started out as looking for a standup jetski but as the S/O became more interested she wanted to take part so it shifted to looking at sit downs. I'm going to keep my truck for at least a few more years, probably 5 minimum. I'm looking at the new Bronco maybe after they work out any teething issues with it.

My grandpa was very much a child of the depression so he always taught me foraging skills and other stuff like that. Its good to learn those skills... not everyone is able to go to SERE.

D

Deleted member 9101

I just bought new because I got a 6 year warranty with it and most of the used stuff here is last seasons rental fleet, and I know those things get beat. I like buying new and just taking care of it. I know I take the hit in depreciation, but having control of the vehicles maintenance throughout its life is appealing to me. Don't get me wrong I'm always looking out for a good deal. This started out as looking for a standup jetski but as the S/O became more interested she wanted to take part so it shifted to looking at sit downs. I'm going to keep my truck for at least a few more years, probably 5 minimum. I'm looking at the new Bronco maybe after they work out any teething issues with it.

My grandpa was very much a child of the depression so he always taught me foraging skills and other stuff like that. Its good to learn those skills... not everyone is able to go to SERE.

I've looked at new trailers, but they run about 5-10k more than the same trailer 5 years old. New would be nice, and we can afford it, but I plan on cutting up and modifying what ever I buy so new would be a waste.

I really like the new Bronco and I kind of want one, buuuut my truck and my wifes car are paid off and the Bronco would be a pricy toy... And we both know I'm to cheap for that....haha.

Both of my biological grandpas wore the scars of the depression through out their entire lives. Probably explains why my parents and myself are frugal. :)

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
I've looked at new trailers, but they run about 5-10k more than the same trailer 5 years old. New would be nice, and we can afford it, but I plan on cutting up and modifying what ever I buy so new would be a waste.

I really like the new Bronco and I kind of want one, buuuut my truck and my wifes car are paid off and the Bronco would be a pricy toy... And we both know I'm to cheap for that....haha.

Both of my biological grandpas wore the scars of the depression through out their entire lives. Probably explains why my parents and myself are frugal. :)

If they don't have the amenities that you want theres no real reason to pay for the newer model, especially when you know you're going to modify it to fit your needs... much easier to swallow the idea of hacking into your new purchase when its already got knicks and scratches from prior use. My truck is paid off, the S/O's car isn't but the payment isn't burdensome. I have joked about a Lamborghini and I could make it happen with some movement of funds, but I'll put it off for a few more years. The Bronco is just such a cool car, and with the Raptor maintaining value I could probably jump from one to the other while basically staying debt free, or damn near it.

Funny you mention it, my maternal grandpa (the one I talked about in the previous post) was pretty much the opposite. He always had toys and basically as long as I can remember he got a new vehicle every 3 to 4 years. He lived modestly for sure, but not miserly or obscenely frugal. He was a fabricator and mechanic, and worked in house for a printing press for years... turns out it was easier making replacement parts from scratch than outsourcing the work. In an funny twist my paternal grandfather was much more well off during the same period (although he was about a dozen years older) but ended up being insanely miserly about his money for the last few years of his life. He was a pilot so he made good money, and his habits just kind of got out of hand near the end. Oh well. I miss them both, my maternal grandpa in particular as he was a big part of my life.

Going back to more on topic, I have a few things planned for the truck. While out in Joshua Tree I scraped my diff up pretty gnarly on a rock (bad line on my behalf, but I also gave up right of way on the trail to a vehicle coming the other way) so I ended up picking up a differential skid plate. Its probably overkill but Id rather it not happen again. I still have to mount the new awning which I hope to get to this week, I dont work Wednesday so thats my goal day. I nearly pulled the trigger on a RTT recently, but like I've said I've kind of moved towards just using AirBNB or hotels in conjuction with offroad days. Its worked good so far. Plus with the purchase of the ski we will probably be integrating that more into plans. I'm already thinking Lake Havasu later this year or perhaps a Catalina Island trip, which is kind of an expedition on its own... 22 miles open ocean on a jet ski!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl