Baja Expedition

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
This looks really interesting. I am going to spend some time researching it. Safety is always my primary concern. Fortunately I do have a gas tank skid. Thanks SWbySWXJ!!!

cool - if you do it, you should allow it to let us follow you in Mexico! That's always fun to let people login and see your dot on a map :smiley_drive:

Rediron

For sure. The spot system seems like a great idea. Especially for what I am planning. I am going to put a call into the office to see how well it will work in mexico. Keep ya posted.

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
As for the Spanish side of things fortunately for me my wife is Mexican. I had to learn as quickly as possible so I could understand what she was saying to me when she was mad. :victory:
This sounds very familiar, me too, when my future wife was talking to my future mother-in-law, they looked at me and giggled, I had to know what they were saying. But forget Rosetta Stone, all you need for learning Spanish is Tequila and friends :sombrero:

As for the set-up of your vehicle, I'm trying to keep it simple and light (says the man with the 125 lb roof top tent :eek: on his Jeep :D). I shy away from too large and specially wide tires as they increase the strain on the entire drive train and braking system considerably. Large diameter tires do have the advantage that you don't plummet too deep in pot holes but other than that: How many times would you really have needed bigger ground clearance when trail riding?

Just my .02 centimes.

Nightkrawler

Observer
x3 on the d35. thats gotta go asap. next up would be a GenRight enduro tank Best mod ive done so far. 24 gallons capacity and only to 1.5 hours to get it in.:sombrero:

NOMADIC_LJ

Explorer
I shy away from too large and specially wide tires as they increase the strain on the entire drive train and braking system considerably. Large diameter tires do have the advantage that you don't plummet too deep in pot holes but other than that: How many times would you really have needed bigger ground clearance when trail riding?
Just my .02 centimes.

THIS! ^^^

Going from 33's to 35's is a HUGE jump. Besides the obvious lift and such there is a lot more to consider. The brakes will need to be upgraded, steering components (have you seen the beef that is the TJ tie rod?? haha) Not to mention the added stress this puts on your drive train.

When I joined here I was way more into crawling and I ran 35's. We are more into expedition travel now and I'm running 33's. To me, 35's on an expo rig just doesn't make sense. The added weight, the added stress and extra fuel consumed far outweigh the extra clearance gained.

Not trying to talk you out, just look at the long term picture before you build. Do it right the first time!

BTW, the stock skid you have now is a joke. Get armored properly with a real skid made for off road.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
A setup something like this.

This is my 2000 Sahara. It has very basic mods aligned towards expedition type travel. (or going bush as we call it in Australia)

Daves Rack like this one LINKY

Warn/Curry (not entirely sure which) rear bumper to fit a bigger spare.

Tuffy drawer to try and keep some stuff secure. (bloody thing rattles when empty though)

Jeep Rubicon factory suspension. (got it cheap as a takeoff and it allowed enough tire clearance)

Spidertrax adapters and JK sahara wheels.

30 year old Roof Top Tent. (took us all over Australia so North America should be a breeze).

Yeah I know it should have some underbody armor but honestly I don't go off road and only intend to go on any type of road not really trails.

Posilock rear diff, ABS, cruise control, auto and good audio because you spend more time getting to the dirt then on it.

668050704_atV6N-M.jpg

668050411_ooG5m-M.jpg

gpndave

Three men in a TJ for 21 days...you need to think roof top storage or trailer. For three guys, I don't think a roof/trailer top tent is a good use of space. Use a conventional tent and carry more water/fuel/provisions.

Recommend 33s. I run a 99 TJ with 2.5in Old Man Emu suspension +1.25 body lift and 1 in motor lift. No vibes...no dropped transfer case...and clears 33X10.5 BFGs fine. I used 4.56 gears (5 spd) so it is a little over geared, but I don't go over 70 on the highway anyway. Get sway bar disconnects and some lockers...enjoy capability and durability.

On the gas tank, look at it from the drivers side. See to flat metal skid and the exposed plastic side of the tank? Jeep corrected this in 2000 by wrapping the plate completely around the tank. I swapped mine for a Kilby skid that raised the tank about 2 inches (body lift required).

If the radiator has not been replaced, do so before you go. The factory plastic one is desiged to fail at the worst possible time and as far from help as possible.

Rediron

Three men in a TJ for 21 days...you need to think roof top storage or trailer. For three guys, I don't think a roof/trailer top tent is a good use of space. Use a conventional tent and carry more water/fuel/provisions.

You must be joking!!! There is no way I would put all of us in the same vehicle for even one full day of traveling. My brother runs a yota and my dad is buying an unlimited 4 door.

If the radiator has not been replaced, do so before you go. The factory plastic one is desiged to fail at the worst possible time and as far from help as possible.

Unfortunately/Fortunately... depends on how you look at it. I put a branch through the stock radiator the same day I bought the jeep so I replaced the stocker with an all aluminium. I have been very happy with the results. I have been able to cover some rough terrain in 110+ degree weather WITH the air running full blast, and it has never gone over the middle mark on my temp gauge.

crusty1007

TJ, Super 35 (OX & Superior shafts) W/ 4.0L AX-15, 4.56, 35's & ATLAS 4 SPEED. Can I break it, Yes. Do I? only when Im driving like an *****.

If you can find a cheap S35 kit W/lockers & shafts on Ebay (ive seen them go for as little as $200) then toss it in & run it.

K.I.S.S.
then go from there.

If you've got the U-budget, a set of -real- 44's, slightly wider than stock w/ 33's/35's would be ideal.

Thean Bellocchi
Thean@Polyperformance.com

nwoods

Expedition Leader
You must be joking!!! There is no way I would put all of us in the same vehicle for even one full day of traveling. My brother runs a yota and my dad is buying an unlimited 4 door.

Whew! that changes the scenario completely. I was thinking the same thing reading through this thread: 3 men, 3 weeks, remote location, in a TJ?

So now you are solo in your TJ, and the other two rigs will have excess capacity to hold some of your stuff if its needed.

You never mentioned a budget, but i will assume its a factor. Here are my suggestions:

1. Everyone should get their HAM license and a 2 meter radio.

2. Your dad should get a Rubicon version, maybe add some off road lights, and then he's pretty much ready to go (in the new JK).

3. You might want to stick with 33" tires, but that depends on your twice a week wheeling that you are doing. The BFG KM2 is an excellent tire, as is the AT, or the new Goodyear MTR. I think the MTR is a better compromise between the AT and KM2, and might be more resistant to cactus damage with the kevlar sidewalls.

4. Adding a rear locker is an amazing capability extender, but if money is tight, a decent winch and winch bumper is better bang for your buck, and will help the other two rigs also.

5. front sway bar disconnects are cheap and effective. The Currie Anti-rock system is a little less cheap, but very good.

6. At least one of the three rigs should have a large electric fridge. The new ARB is excellent and holds 50qt, which is a lot. Maybe have two, one for food, one for drinks. With three weeks to consider, and infrequent ice availability, you will appreciate the electric fridge.

7. All three of you should have a full size spare. if the three of you ran the same size tire that would be best scenario.

8. All three of you should have an excellent tire repair kit. The Ultimate Puncture Repair kit is the bomb! http://www.adventuretrailers.com/tirerepair.html, or the ARB speedy seal kit is also very good, but a bit less complete. Good for plugging tires though.

9. recovery gear, perhaps some sand ladders,

10. extra tent stakes (it can get windy!)

11. an Awning or a Kelty style shelter from the sun is going to be popular too

86cj

Explorer
THIS! ^^^

Going from 33's to 35's is a HUGE jump. Besides the obvious lift and such there is a lot more to consider. The brakes will need to be upgraded, steering components (have you seen the beef that is the TJ tie rod?? haha) Not to mention the added stress this puts on your drive train.

When I joined here I was way more into crawling and I ran 35's. We are more into expedition travel now and I'm running 33's. To me, 35's on an expo rig just doesn't make sense. The added weight, the added stress and extra fuel consumed far outweigh the extra clearance gained.

Not trying to talk you out, just look at the long term picture before you build. Do it right the first time!

BTW, the stock skid you have now is a joke. Get armored properly with a real skid made for off road.

We use our LJ to explore and camp in the National Forests and have done a fair job seeing our country. So far the only place open to travel I could have used 35's was Moab and even then I just picked another line, a TJ on 33's would even be better.

I do think a LJ looks just right on 35's and would like to have them myself. I also said when I can't go where I want on 33's I will upgrade, so far it has not happened.
A TJ/LJ on 33's is a real sweet spot for durability and handling issues, mine sees 500+ mile days. The 255/85 used alot here on the Expo is even easier on suspension parts than the 285's I like to run for the extra flotation.
Don't overlook AirLift bags in the coils, I have torturted mine for years, the flex seems fine to me at the 10psi I run.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk