basket case 99 F250 crew cab 4x4 refurbishment

DividingCreek

Explorer
In the quest for a heavier duty truck to tow with I fixated on the 99 up extended cab or crew cab 7.3 f250 4x4. I have a business where I handle the transport, ocean shipment and US import of interesting vehicles from around the world though most all US ports of entry. In many cases when the vehicle enters @ Philadelphia,Baltimore,or Norfolk I end up picking the vehicle up and delivering it on to the client. Most of these vehicles are Land Rover defenders.I also transport trucks that are broken or need modification work that I do on the side. I had been bidding very conservatively on a few gov deals state highway etc trucks and always lost the auctions because I was too cheap. A friend outside of Toledo found a e99 4x4 F250 crew cab with 8ft bed on craigslist and went and looked @ it. The truck was a lariat and had 375k on the odometer. The story was that the trans had just been rebuilt by a company named Earl Bros Transmissions in the Toledo area. The truck had recent cooper AT3 285/75/16's load range E's on it. The asking price for the truck was $3500. We agreed to pay that if he could demonstrate it running. The fellow had the top of the engine somewhat pulled apart trying to track down an oil leak. My buddy went back 2 days later and the truck started and ran but very weakly. He had it moved back to his shop and decided it was likely a blown turbo. We bought a rebuilt turbo and non EBPV pedestal as well as the riff raff fuel rail kit, rebuilt the fuel bowl and installed the higher fuel pressure spring etc. The truck has a 4 inch exhaust and TS 6 position tuner and cold air intake. After doing the turbo job the truck still wasn't running on 8 cyls and was blowing white smoke. We had another friend who was headed down to Virginia from Michigan so he loaded of the truck on his trailer and brought it down to me in central Virginia. With the truck running I shot the manifolds with my IR temp gun and there was 100 degree difference on the rear of the left manifold. I pulled the valve cover and with the truck running unplugged the #8 injector and there was no change so thinking I had figured it out I pulled that injector and sent if to Jim Rose @ Rosewood Diesel Service and had him do his premium rebuild on the injector. The #8 injector was a know problem on these engine due to dead heading issue with fuel pressure. Ford even used a totally different part number injector in that hole on many trucks. I got it back installed it and now the truck ran on 7 cyls. @ This point I'm into the truck around $1800 in parts and shipping costs as well as the oil change etc. Pulled out the IR gun again (hey it worked the first time) and with the truck running went up and down the manifolds and determined my problem was #6. I stupidly just assumed it was that injector and sent it to Rosewood. Got that injector back, installed it and no change. Still thinking my problem was injection I went and got a new valve cover gasket since that is also the injection harness on ea bank. Again no change. So I ordered a glow plug hole adapter for my compression tester and when that came confirmed my worst fear, 0 compression in the #6 hole. So I pulled the left head. I found a pencil sized hole in the #6 piston and cracks on the tops of the other 3 pistons on that bank.

So I had gambled and lost on this mechanics special. I have definitely been kicking myself. Since the truck is an e99 any newer engine would be an upgrade in so much as that the intake spider and turbo are different, the up pipes are larger diam and the injectors spray more fuel. I assume the damage to the internals on this engine are from using ether to try and start it in uber cold weather. Another possibility someone suggested was perhaps someone had put gasoline in the tank briefly.
Anyway I had a decently straight truck loaded with leather interior and the paint was decent, trans rebuilt and nearly new tires. I decided to find an engine and fix it since @ this point I'm in to the tune of around $5700. I shopped and noticed that engines up North were all much cheaper than down South of me. I found a craigslist add in Raleigh for a 2000 engine for $2k. The fellow had bought some decommissioned rescue squad ambulances. I missed the 2000 engine but put a deposit an 2002 e450 engine for a price of $1750.
The engine was still in the truck and was running and driving when I went down and checked it out. These ambulances had the oil changed every 5k and were always parked inside. The engine was spotless and rustfree and had zero blowby @ the filler and sounded sweet. The E series engines have no waste gate or EBPV which eliminates the surging problems the F series are known for when under load. The "van" turbo's also have a larger housing which makes more boost. They also have no intercooler so the programming to run them was somewhat detuned to keep egt's down. I asked around and if plumbed up with F series pipes to the inter cooler and plugged into the F series ecu the engines are actually considered a bit of an upgrade over the waste gated ebpv pedestal'd Fseries trucks. Hoping so since the engine I have bought has lived a very easy well maintained life so far.
Plan is to go back and pick it up this week, had to give them a few days to pull it.View attachment 259237View attachment 259237IMG-20141208-00131.jpg
Here's how she sits today with no engine. The engine compartment is filthy and will be cleaned up today. I guess I'm going to have a bunch of E99 stuff to sell.

IMG-20141112-00117.jpg

Last edited:

DividingCreek

Explorer
Anyone have any suggestions how I might use the 2nd alternator that is used to power the ambulance box ? I know you can't use alternators in series and while I do intend to put a big inverter that I have in this truck, I don't see adding a third battery. I have an old ramsey 8k winch in a class 3 basket that I am setting up to use on my car trailer for non runners and will likely run winch quick connect lines to both the front and rear of this truck for jump starts and powering the winch on the trailer or in the receiver hitch of the truck.

txnight

Adventurer
Could you use the alternator to power an onboard air setup? Might come in handy for what you are wanting to use the truck for.

Sooper Camper

Adventurer
2nd alternators can make great on board welders, just need to do some research on the proper wiring and regulation setup for your specific alternator. I know several guys who have done this on their trail rigs, they are great to have!
you should be able to get 150-200amp alternators for that truck, no reason that it can't power everything within reason. most OBA compressors don't use all that much juice, and when you're going to be using it you're not likely to be using much else. Since you have to be stationary to fill up tires/use air, its not like you need every light on, the heater at full blast, the stereo blaring and an inverter charging 2 laptops while you are just airing up tires.

DividingCreek

Explorer
Thanks for the input. When I went to pick up the engine yesterday the tech had deconstructed it and pulled it out the front instead of lifting the cab as discussed. That said, the brackets all had been removed and looked completely different so I'm just going to re-use the f250 stuff and get the truck up and running again. I hadn't expected the E450 turbo to have an ebpv valve on the pedestal and turbo. I had ordered a new turbo output flange for the turbo so it would mate up to my existing down pipe so that got rid of the flapper valve so I'm just going to leave the
pedestal as is. After researching a bit it looks like the left exhaust manifold on an e99 truck is different than the later ones so I'm not going to able to move the one that's drilled and tapped for the thermo-couple. So much for easing into learning a new engine. This has been initiation by fire. The tech told me I would need to change the oil pan to put the van engine in the F series but it appears they are the same part number so I'm going to try and slip the van engine in this evening.

Last edited:

DividingCreek

Explorer
Learning curve is steep. Tried to get everything swapped from the F250 engine over to the e450 engine and ran into an issue with the left side of the engine where the oil cooler, and exhaust manifold wouldn't work with the f series motor mount. Went ahead and bolted the mount on and swapped the oil coolers as well but knew I couldn't use an e99 left manifold with a late turbo. Went to the dealer this morning and confirmed what I was afraid of, vans and f series used a different manifold on the left side but the same on the right.
Ordered a new one from Summit and will go ahead and install the engine without the manifold. Also ordered two new up pipes just in case they are different as well.

xbox73

Adventurer
With the engine out would be a good time to repair any potential leak problems with the factory dipstick adapter, as it eliminates the need to remove the engine/oil pan to repair the leak properly at a later stage, if necessary.

Lots of owners do the exhaust backpressure valve (EBPV) delete. Sounds like you have the new output flange that eliminates the flapper, but I think you still need to do something about the pedestal. You can either weld up the stock pedestal, or order a new blank pedestal:

Early 99 (E99): http://www.riffraffdiesel.com/garrett-early-99-non-ebpv-blank-pedestal/

L99-03: http://www.riffraffdiesel.com/garrett-non-ebpv-blank-pedestal-99-5-03/

DividingCreek

Explorer
yep. Had the ebpv delete pedestal for the e99 but cant use it on the replacement engine because the later trucks use a taller pedestal.
Spent a small fortune on O rings and seals to prevent any future leaks. Rebuilt the f250 oil cooler and am glad I did, the o rings were toast.

I got optimistic that I will get this mother rolling and ordered the BoeschBuilt 2 inch shackle/ leveling kit. Truck sits level with no engine and I like that look much better than nose down. http://www.boeschbuilt.com/#!ford-truck-lift-shackle-kit/c1pjq

Also have the 2004 style clear/crystal headlamp and indicators coming from an ebay seller as mine were so yellow they won't pass inspection.

Needed to get my order up over $100 for free shipping with Summit so took the plunge and got the weathertech floor mats.

I got the black steering wheel and Injection Driver Module out of the e450. My steering wheel was tan and had the lariat leather wrap and after 15years and 375k was toast.
I was told the e99 IDM is 110v and the later ones are 120v and that the truck will run better with the later module.

Lots of work to do.

Last edited:

xbox73

Adventurer
02-04 clear headlight design is much better then the earlier fluted design, especially when they're yellowed over time. I did the same, but also added high output bulbs, as well as a high output relay harness. Light output & ability to see is so much better than before, while not being obnoxious like some of the poorly designed HID kits.

xbox73

Adventurer
If you haven't already, you might consider upgrading your trans cooler to that from the 03.5-onwards 6.0. Excessive heat is the arch enemy of transmissions, and the 6.0 trans cooler is twice the size of that from the 7.3, yet still fits on the 7.3 with some minor mods.

xbox73

Adventurer
You might also consider the fuel rail crossover (FRX) to solve the fuel rail dead head issue, as well as the high pressure oil crossover (HPX).

DividingCreek

Explorer
If you haven't already, you might consider upgrading your trans cooler to that from the 03.5-onwards 6.0. Excessive heat is the arch enemy of transmissions, and the 6.0 trans cooler is twice the size of that from the 7.3, yet still fits on the 7.3 with some minor mods.

yep and the whole front end is off my truck so would take 30 mins max to do that mod right now. Been looking for a used 26 row cooler locally but I'm in an area where most pickups are half ton gassers.

Last edited:

DividingCreek

Explorer
I have Riff Raff's fuel rail setup on and will be installing the hard stainless HPX once I have the pedestal and turbo back on. My buddy had put these on the old engine for me so they are still brand new. Even still had the tube of gasoila in the box of spares so had the right stuff for the job. When I close this hood I hope to be done for many miles. I'll never have better access. S & B intake was on the truck when I bought it so just going to clean and re-oil the filter.

Did either of you notice that the HPX made your truck quieter and smoother @ idle ?

Last edited:

BBslider001

Diesel Head
I put the HPX on my '97 OBS and it definitely evened out the ICP line, and yes, idled a good bit better. The OBS's always idle kinda wonky though. Are you on the ford truck forums? There are a LOT of good guys there with a bunch of knowledge. Nice find. You'll get it up and running.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater

Members online