Battery charging relay

mrbacklash

Is there any reason I couldn’t wire a 40 amp time delay relay to close when the engine on my truck is running and to start sending power to a deep cycle battery in my camper to provide charging? The time delay relay would remove the possibility of it being used to start the truck since the wire size would not be capable of the amperage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jonyjoe101

Adventurer
I use one of these 0-99 volt relays to connect my lifepo4 to charge my li-ion, only when the lifepo4 is being charged by solar (14.1 volts). It could be used in your situation, when the start battery reaches a certain voltage 14.4 volts, it will connect both batteries. Once voltage drops to 12.9 or lower it will disconnect and won't restart until start battery gets back up to 14.1 volts. This relay has timers that you can program. This relay has many different ways it can connect/disconnect but I use the P3 setting connect at 14.1/disconnect at 12.9, and it has a small 10 amp relay built in which I use to trigger a much larger 30 amp relay, but it will easily trigger larger solenoids.

1 099.jpg

curtis73

I wired a continuous-use solenoid and a relay through a three-position switch. Wire the relay's ground through the switch to a NO oil pressure switch and one to chassis. This way you can make three operating functions for the charge circuit. Switch position 1 is off (never connects the coach battery), position 2 is always on (can be helpful as a jump start if you use a beefy enough cable), and 3 will only activate the solenoid after the engine starts (once it gets oil pressure) The third position is where mine usually stays. Engine running, they're connected. Engine not running, they stay isolated, regardless of key position. A split second after the vehicle starts, I hear a click and I know they're now connected. When I shut the vehicle off, about second later I hear it click off.

I would be cautious about the size of wire you use. The alternator can easily supply a lot of amperage, and depending on the state of charge, the battery might be able to accept a significant amount of amperage. If the battery can take 60A, you'll go through a lot of 40A relays and burn a lot of 10 ga wire, know what I mean?

I wired mine using some 4ga wire and a 100A solenoid so I could use it as a jump start. It doesn't have to be expensive either. I did mine with some old jumper cables that the clamps had become mangled. Solenoid should be about $40-50, relays are cheap.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77