Beating a dead horse: questions about high(ish) end suspensions-3rd gen 4runner

AxleIke

Adventurer
Called down south. They are checking availability and will hopefully get back to me tomorrow. The rears seem to be out of stock.

Looks like cost on the Kings vs the basic Icons is the same for all 4 shocks.

Still very torn between the two. Definitely wish there was a way to try the two out before purchase. Dang.

AZ4Runner

Observer
Just make sure you don't get the piggy backs. They are out of date but are still for sale. Contact icon and have them send you a list of all they have available. Most venders/ dealers have little idea what icon offers for our 3rd gen. Here is what I run...

ICON 58610 Coilovers, ICON 57800 Rear w/ Remote Res, ICON FJ Shin Guards,

Go4Lo

Explorer
The 650 has been turning me off since I have 620's now, but it is hard for me to seperate the feel of the crappy shocks, vs the springs, vs the spring preload as far as what is actively causing my dissatisfaction.

Good to know, not really considering the SAW's right now, as I had some bad experiences with them back in the day with torsion bars on my 87. But something to keep in mind, to be sure.

I would think the 550lbs would be too soft for your truck with the ARB and winch on the front. You'll end up having to adjust the coilover to regain the lost lift height from the soft coil resulting in more preload on the coil and a stiffer ride....which get's you back to square one.

Adventurous

Explorer
Haven't found any. Hopefully someone will post up!

OME 886 w/ Nitrochargers up front and Icon VS 2.0 rear shocks with a DAKAR leaf pack. You are welcome to come oogle and see what you think. Again, on a Tacoma, but if you want to check it out shoot me a PM. You konw, seeing as how I live right up the street.

AxleIke

Adventurer
OME 886 w/ Nitrochargers up front and Icon VS 2.0 rear shocks with a DAKAR leaf pack. You are welcome to come oogle and see what you think. Again, on a Tacoma, but if you want to check it out shoot me a PM. You konw, seeing as how I live right up the street.

Sweet. I misunderstood your first post and thought you said you were going to switch to Icons but had OME all around. Didn't realize you had the Icon rears.

nater

Adventurer
Whatever you choose, if you get a custom valving for free, really consider digressive valving. It has made me a believer that you can have a great offroad ride, and a great onroad ride at the same time.

jgilbreath

Observer
TAP = total automotive performance, they carry king and icon.

Depending on your time frame DSM usually does 10% discount during black Friday. That would make the kings they carry a great price, at least for the fronts.

I wish they had some non resi rear kings.

rdracer66

I have an 01 4runner and had the trd tundra coils with 5100 billy's up front with LC 7.5 wraps and 5125 billys in back. I got lucky and found some KING coilovers used and had them rebuilt and they blow my old setup up out of the water. Big big difference, I'm needing to upgrade the rears and probably will go with the kings once I get some more $. If you decide to go with Kings give Ben a call at filthy motorsports in Boulder. I bought all the parts from him for my rebuild and he is a very knowledgeable guy and will treat you right. He has great prices as well.

AxleIke

Adventurer
Man, this is killing me, Grrr. Everyone who runs the Icons or Kings loves the ride on their truck. The Icons end up being a tad cheaper, but not much, as I didn't realize the 2.0's came as a pair when I was initially looking at pricing. Really, its a wash. So, its down to spring rate and valving. The Kings, even with the progressive valving, have everyone saying "Plush", which I like, but also could be slightly more supple in the turns. The Icons are "firm, but give a good ride", which I take as: handle well (feels planted on the road), but soaks up the bumps really well and is very comfortable.

Hmmmm. Might send a couple of you PM's here.

AZ4Runner

Observer
If you can wait ( I know it is hard) Icon goes on sale durning black friday for 20% off which with this kind of $$$ adds up. Also TAP does a group buy every now and then for around 15% off.

AxleIke

Adventurer
I made a decision. I purchased a set of Icon 2.5 fronts and 2.0 rears. I will start with an OME 890 spring in the rear with 1 or 2 10mm trim packers (OMEs term for a urethane spacer)

I rode in an Icon equipped FJ cruiser (though it had remote res 2.5s in the rear). He was running Toytec ultra heavy duty springs in the rear with no rear weight (lots of lift to clear 35s). The fronts were very nice even with the high preload. The rear was harsher, but nicer than mine currently, which says a lot about the shocks.

I don't have them in the truck yet. I have couple of things I want to do (tighten steering rack or possibly replace with an 02 rack which I'm told has a better centering setup than the older racks with the large adjuster nut. More research needed). I also am working on modifying my DOM lower links to accept new factory rubber bushings at the frame end to eliminate squeaks and soften the ride. All of this will potentially affect the alignment so I only want to pay once.

Thank you all for your advice.

rickashay

Explorer
I made a decision. I purchased a set of Icon 2.5 fronts and 2.0 rears. I will start with an OME 890 spring in the rear with 1 or 2 10mm trim packers (OMEs term for a urethane spacer)

I rode in an Icon equipped FJ cruiser (though it had remote res 2.5s in the rear). He was running Toytec ultra heavy duty springs in the rear with no rear weight (lots of lift to clear 35s). The fronts were very nice even with the high preload. The rear was harsher, but nicer than mine currently, which says a lot about the shocks.

I don't have them in the truck yet. I have couple of things I want to do (tighten steering rack or possibly replace with an 02 rack which I'm told has a better centering setup than the older racks with the large adjuster nut. More research needed). I also am working on modifying my DOM lower links to accept new factory rubber bushings at the frame end to eliminate squeaks and soften the ride. All of this will potentially affect the alignment so I only want to pay once.

Thank you all for your advice.

I'm sure your going to be happy with the Icons. Don't hear too many complaints and considering you rode in an icon equipped FJ I think you at least have a realistic preview of your own setup.

I upgraded the center nut thing on my 4Runner when I had it to the newer 02' style. IMO I didn't feel any difference. If your rack has excessive play you might want to look at the Safari Ltd. Racks which are supposed to have stronger internals that the OEM rack. That and weld up the joint on the steering shaft that the first gen Tacoma guys always do.... Apparently once you fix it, it makes it feel like a new truck again! Good luck.

AxleIke

Adventurer
I'm sure your going to be happy with the Icons. Don't hear too many complaints and considering you rode in an icon equipped FJ I think you at least have a realistic preview of your own setup.

I upgraded the center nut thing on my 4Runner when I had it to the newer 02' style. IMO I didn't feel any difference. If your rack has excessive play you might want to look at the Safari Ltd. Racks which are supposed to have stronger internals that the OEM rack. That and weld up the joint on the steering shaft that the first gen Tacoma guys always do.... Apparently once you fix it, it makes it feel like a new truck again! Good luck.

Which joint do they weld up?

I'm having issues with something in my steering moving. Essentially the tow stays true between the right and left tires (ie no bad tire wear) but the steering wheel goes from being centered to cocked to the left and back again. I have taken it in and they tell me that the tow is in spec side to side but it's off in total, so the wheel sits to one side. I haven't wheeled it since Moab in April, and I've had three alignments since. Each time they reset the tow and it gets off within a few 10s of miles.

It's a new rack from Toyota (<10,000 miles), I have the poly bushings on the rack, and it has new tie rod ends as well. Plus icon uniball ucas, and brand new lower ball joints, all OEM.

I may enquire about the Safari LTD racks as to what they upgrade. I was told that if the adjustment nut got loose, it would produce the symptoms I have. I just haven't found an Allen key that is big enough yet. Looks to be maybe 30 mm.

BeratE

Observer
Tacoma guy here who has done the weld he mentioned. A small tack or two are placed on the slip joint in the steering column. There is apparently always slop there from the factory of varying levels. The tacks clean up the slop but will still break in a crash and allow the column to do its job and collapse.

This was useful:
http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=161689

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven