Bedlining a trailer?

parcours

Observer
I had mine LineX'd completely... Top/bottom, sides, lid...

Then I painted it with AspartX, another LineX product. I can you tell is worth the $$$. Very difficult to chip and completely encapsulates the metal, no rust!

BantamTC-3_1_zps74033bbc.jpg

Complete_24_Resized_zps728760c4.jpg

20141116_143454_zpsrtnp5ljy.jpg

Complete_9_Resized_zps2ae85fe3.jpg

Complete_13_Resized_zps866f2403.jpg

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Check out Monstaliner.

http://www.monstaliner.com/

Good prices, the stuff is tough and goes on nice. You can spray it, roll it, have it tinted any colour you want and it works well. I used POR15 under it after the POR15 metal prep spray and after 4 years now it looks as new. Apparently the higher end spray gun they sell at Monstaliner is actually pretty good and does a nice job.

2 coats rolled in the tub with their texture roller.

2 coats on the fenders with a low pile 6" foam roller from Home Depot.

TheFutur

Adventurer
Looks good! I got my fenders coated one or two weekends ago and installed back on the trailer

Been meaning to post photos but finals week has been kicking me in the chest with steel toes...

Will hopefully snap a quick photo or two tomorrow if im home before the sun goes down! They turned out great! If they last a year or two ill be happy haha

Got a few more things to do on the trailer but i gotta replace the front lower control arms on my escape first haha

Too many projects!

M35A2

Tinkerer
I take the 180 degree opposite approach.

I do not see the point of spending $$$$ trying to armor-plate something that is used in extreme conditions anyway.

My choice is plain old water-based exterior latex paint.

It is extremely tough when cured and is easily touched up.

I would rather spend $15 for a quart of paint that lasts forever and uses water for clean-up than all this fancy-dancy stuff.

First time preparations is to power wash it. Wire brush any loose rust and hit any rust spots with Rustoleum rusty metal primer.

Then topcoat with the latex. I use either a foam roller (available in various widths) or a chip brush. Foam rollers and chip brushes clean up easy.

That's it. Dries to the touch right away but takes a few days to cure completely. You can hit it with a hammer after it's cured. And, as I said, touch-ups are easy.

EDIT: Depending on how you apply it, you can achieve a textured finish. Foam rollers tend to produce a slightly textured finish. Brushing flows out smooth. You can brush first and then roll with a dry foam roller for a very smooth finish. Foam roller alone for more texture.

harv3589

Adventurer
I'll be getting my M101 CDN2 line-x'd once I'm done monkeying around and changing things. Will be colour matched to the military green and sprayed inside and out so it's completely covered and protected. For now it's just painted the original camp green, brown and black which I touched up.

I think the line-x is worth it in my case since I'll be running it along time and one gravel/dirt roads so I don't want to beat it up and have it rust.

Maxcustody

Explorer
I had mine Line X'd............it will last forever and yes it cost more than a cheaper product, but has a lifetime warranty.

11352984_445543535616899_1087536223_o.jpg

jwilson2598

Adventurer
I just did mine with Monstaliner about 2 weeks ago, it came out pretty well. Took it on the first trip this past weekend and everything held up really well.

All prepped:

9f18b061f8bc6363f0149dbefbc35bd9.jpg

Final coat applied, but still wet:

84513796151b05e51a75c744c57ebad8.jpg

Next day after fully drying:

2952039ddeb8a8818023294971cdcfc0.jpg

wagex

Adventurer
plan on using monstaliner on mine, stuff is pretty awesome, i covered my tornado shelter i built with the stuff like 3 or 4 years ago and it looks the same as when i put it on and its in the oklahoma sun all summer long.

XJSuperman

OhIOWAn
I was told that Monstaliner needs to go over something else, a base like paint or primer. In your pics that looks like bare metal?

FMF

Adventurer
I used three gallons of Monstaliner on my trailer and its held up great after traveling down quite a few dirt roads. They also make there own version of pro15 that's a lot cheaper and works very well. Use these two coupon codes dr a free quart of ther chassis saver (pro15) and free shipping.

FREE Chassis Saver Code: FREECSQ819M
FREE Shipping Code: FREESHIP819M

image.jpg

XJSuperman

OhIOWAn
Now you tell me, after I bought it all...Lol. Thanks for sharing.

Im using both POR15 and Magnet Paints Chassis Saver. The Monstaliner for mine will go over the Magnet Paints product, and not really on the POR15.

jwilson2598

Adventurer
I was told that Monstaliner needs to go over something else, a base like paint or primer. In your pics that looks like bare metal?

If you're talking about mine, it's just the color. The trailer comes in a Brute trash can gray/blue color, so that's what it ends up looking like when you sand it.

Fursphere

Observer
I haven't done a trailer, but earlier this year I did the floor of my Jeep XJ with Monsterliner (chassis saver + bed liner) to prevent rust issues that Cherokee's often have. So far its been great, and wasn't a big deal to apply myself. And about an 1/8th the cost of Line-X. (Just getting a quote from the local Line-X place was difficult..).

Just wear a respirator when you apply it, and set aside an entire day to do it... its gnarly stuff. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl