Belafonte Reboot....Ambulance to 4x4 Camper Conversion

patoz

Expedition Leader
And that boys and girls is why I got rid of everything forward of the module. Now, I don't have any engine or transmission problems to worry about anymore!

IMG_0216.jpg

patoz

Expedition Leader
Well tom, twenty years ago it was fun, not so much now. I've changed a starter back then, underwater in a swamp using a mask and snorkel, because the guy was so far back in there no one else could get close enough to winch him out. Not these days though...

rlrenz

Explorer
Unfortunately today it's even worse. Assembly is King and the auto mfgrs dont give two craps about what it takes to service or repair something. These days their idea of easily serviced is to be able to "conveniently" pull the freakin cab off the frame.

My first Ford 4x4 I could climb up in the engine bay, sit on the inner fender, and put my feet on the frame while I worked on the engine. And the hood kept the rain off! Ahhh, those were the days. :)

My Lord, does that ever take me back. I could sit on the radiator of my old 1950 Chevy, with my feet on the inner fenders, and work on the engine. I could probably have stood next to the engine and closed the hood. Lets see - how many hoses? Two radiator, two heater, one gas line, and one vacuum line ot the wipers. That's a'' there was under the hood.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Yeah, and I used to be able to name every part and describe what it did, now I don't know what half of them are much less what they do.

rlrenz

Explorer
Yeah, and I used to be able to name every part and describe what it did, now I don't know what half of them are much less what they do.

How very true - back in the day, it wasn't too hard to keep things straight. Once in a while, we'd have a crossed wire from the distributor, but that was about as confusing as it got. Now? 90% of the time, I don't have a clue what I am looking at - and if you take away the easy stuff - the alternator, AC compressor, power steering, then it gets a lot closer to 100%.

That's another reason why I like working on my Freightliner ambulance - the diesel can be clearly seen, and the air compressor, alternator, & air conditioner are all in plain sight.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Sweet baby jesus my springs finally arrived! They arrived at Chrises palce instead of mine, but at least they exist now, and I know he'll be johnny on the spot getting them back on the road. All the gear I ordered will finally be on my shop floor.

WOOT!!

cjken

Explorer
Do you know anything about these h1 tires??
BFG's
Load range E
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415403258.364584.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415403274.071979.jpg

Guy I met had them in his h1. Said he liked them better than the Goodyear military OZ
Tires that I think we both have.
I like the fact that they are load range E.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Belafonte Reboot....

Not 100% certain but I "think" those are the BFG Baja T/A tires, what you and I have are the radial replacements, and the newest are the Goodyear Wrangler Durawall versions. Again, I "think".

Hard to tell without seeing the sidewall, but from what I understood those were a load Range D tire. Maybe they come in E as well. Did you see the sidewall marking or go by what you were told?

Last edited:

cjken

Explorer
If you zoom in on the first pic you can see load range E
I knew the pict would come in handy!! Everyone was looking at me like I was crazy taking a pic of the side of a tire!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal