Best 32 in tire for snow, ride, and MPG

Topgun514

Adventurer
I think I am getting out of the age of "looks" being a determiner for my tire pattern... The snow I encounter is typically 6 inches, powder, some icy spots from melt/ freeze. Sometimes slush, and always on sketchy roads in Utah. Cottonwood canyons/ driving around individuals that are a combination of Florida meets Massachusetts. I am looking for an All Season tire. The ST MAXX and AT3 seem pretty reasonable but still looking for that good quiver tire.

tarditi

Explorer
I run BFG ATs on my Xterra - they work sell in snow and have good wet traction (pretty heavily siped tread). IMHO - they're great in anything but stick mud.

saint urho

Yep. If only running one set I'd get the most heavily siped tires I could find. I hear you about the looks, it's not the top of my list, but if everything else is equal, I'll pick the tires that look best to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

stioc

Expedition Leader
^ Hmm perhaps because they're overbuilt and have a reputation for being tough tires ;) However, in my personal experience I noticed no mileage drop between the E rated BFG ATs and the E rated Duratracs.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
^ Hmm perhaps because they're overbuilt and have a reputation for being tough tires ;) However, in my personal experience I noticed no mileage drop between the E rated BFG ATs and the E rated Duratracs.

Haha they are very tough and very robust, that's for sure.

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
Check out the hankook danapro ATM s
I run a set of ten plys on my taco and they have 50k on them with better then fifty percent left on them
Hope to get another 20 k out of them I might run them for one more winter and then switch them to summer use only

They do fairly awesome in the snow I have been very pleased having driven the cotten woods i know know what you are talking about and think that if you don't want to get a snow tire these will suit your needs

Having driven extensive miles on both the bfg and the at2 I personally tin I these are far better in the snow

The dura tracks are better in reallllllly deep stuff but I good luck getting any sort of real miles out of them just too soft

otis24

Observer
I have general grabber AT2's in 235 85 R16's. They work well in snow and I paid $130 each for them. I had street 265 70 R16 before. The generals are heavier, mogs sufferered a little but not much. Ride quality is okay, not super rough.

Mr.T

Suggest looking at the Goodyear Adventure AT. I put a set (285/70-17) on my 2-door Jeep. They are severe snow rated (mountain snowflake branded), the ride is good even though they are E rated, and the MPG is the same as the factory tires. Aired-down they flex well on rocks and sand. Deep mud is probably better with Duratracs, but MPG is likely better with the Adventure AT's.

0322141436a.jpg 20140502_154452.jpg

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
If you're even for a second considering the Dura-Tracs then, may I suggest the Maxxis Bighorn MT's as well... Longer lasting (harder compound which will negate a bit of the snow grip compared to the Dura-Tracs possibly), very tough tyre with great grip and a lot of siping potential plus factory pinned for studs if you have a REALLY bad winter/spring (not sure if the Dura-Tracs are pinned too???). I'm in dire need of new tyres but being that I'm building a truck I haven't landed on a final tyre size for yet, I'm seriously contemplating shelling out to switch to 16" rims (welcome to the 90's, I know... :cool: hahahaha )

Otherwise my answer for the "do it all/quiver-killer" tyre need is always BFG AT's for a myriad of reasons/experiences and for my climate... But that's not really YOUR needs then is it???

I kinda think the AT3's (or those GY Adventure AT's above which look like they'd do great in snow/ice) would be good for you because those "less aggressive" side-wall lugs/shoulders (the BFG's have that pronounced "hour-glass to square contact patch" shape that I find cuts in to dirt/snow/gravel etc.) should in theory actually make for better floating with more then enough lug-space/void to shed the water and not hydro-plane. I usually prefer the "tall & skinny" set-up for my climate, daily weather and Road/Trail conditions here in the NW, but I can see you wanting a bit more float with your drier snow and less average "downright miserably wet & rainy" aka drier days. Plus they not only seem to be getting stellar ratings everywhere and more importantly people here who we see actually USE them, not internet speculation (which I guess I'm kind of making myself guilty of as well... :smilies27 ) but I'd imagine that the lower weight and overall tread-design would give you better mileage with plenty of off-road capability as shown and a good street ride to boot. Also looks like they're pretty well siped which should make them do well on that "worst of all" light dusting of "pow over ice" conditions you're likely to see.

As always, YMMV...

Cheers

Dave

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
Hey Nissan Forum,

I have recently purchased a 2014 Nissan Frontier SV Crew Cab, installed the OME LD 1.5 in. lift, and got my RTT mounted just the way I like, Next up, is worrying about tires for the winter as I cruise through the stockers for the summer and break the engine in. I want to upgrade to a 32 in. tire but am flummoxed by the decision.

Should I go with a 235/85/16, which will be better in the snow but the E rating on all this size will make the ride worse potentially. Also, The tire is heavier but will the MPG be less with less rolling resistance?
Compared to a 265/75/16, which is wider and arguably less safe on snow, but a C rated tire, making it ride better. Lighter, so better MPG, but wider, so worse MPG (I may need some discussion on this one...)

I will most likely go with the Duratrac as my tire of choice, and know that either size will be fine and strong for my desert driving I do in the summer, and all the in between offroad. But snow, MPG and ride comfort are my main concerns.

Could I have some help with this conversation fodder please?

Thank you

Is stock for you 265/70-16? Between the two sizes jumping to a 265/75-16 will not make much difference in ride or make it any worse in snow handling or on road manners. The 235/85-16 will be a stiffer harsher ride, it may hydroplane less, and if studded tires eat away at your roads and form tire channels they may wonder less on the ruts in the asphalt at highway speeds. But the wondering and hydroplaning are just my observations after running 255/70-16 and 235/85-16. Also I did not see any noticeable change in mpg between the two sizes on my first gen frontier.

jbumx2

Observer
Hey Nissan Forum,

I have recently purchased a 2014 Nissan Frontier SV Crew Cab, installed the OME LD 1.5 in. lift, and got my RTT mounted just the way I like, Next up, is worrying about tires for the winter as I cruise through the stockers for the summer and break the engine in. I want to upgrade to a 32 in. tire but am flummoxed by the decision.

Should I go with a 235/85/16, which will be better in the snow but the E rating on all this size will make the ride worse potentially. Also, The tire is heavier but will the MPG be less with less rolling resistance?
Compared to a 265/75/16, which is wider and arguably less safe on snow, but a C rated tire, making it ride better. Lighter, so better MPG, but wider, so worse MPG (I may need some discussion on this one...)

I will most likely go with the Duratrac as my tire of choice, and know that either size will be fine and strong for my desert driving I do in the summer, and all the in between offroad. But snow, MPG and ride comfort are my main concerns.

Could I have some help with this conversation fodder please?

Thank you

I have a 2011 SV Crew Cab and recently replaced my stock tires with 235/85r16 Cooper ST Maxx. My main reason for going with the Coopers was sidewall toughness. The also cost a bit less than the 265s. The sidewalls are noticeably stiffer, but the ride isn't bad at all. I got used to it pretty quickly. I would highly recommend airing down when off road though. My mileage dropped by 2-3 MPG from stock. But I also have sliders and skids so the mpg loss is not completely from the tires. Have not used them in snow yet so no comment on that. They also have a slight hum around 25-40. Otherwise, pretty happy with them so far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk

Members online