Best deals on 100ah LiFeP04 batteries?

woytovich

Observer
There are a million odd brand batteries out there these days and I know that some are trash and some are quite good, and... it's (another) Prime Day. I'm wondering if there are any stand out deals on less expensive (cheaper) but still great quality 100ah LiFeP04 batteries (Prime day or otherwise).
[ I know this is a can-o-worms sort of question, and I'm not looking to get into a whole discussion on the "buy once, cry once" philosophy - I get it. This is a simple question, and if your answer is "no" then that's fine. ]

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
SOK 100ah self heated (critical) Lifpo4. They slashed prices this year. I originally paid 600 each for 2 a year ago. They slashed prices this year. You can watch for sales, I picked up 2 more last month for $440 each.

https://www.us.sokbattery.com/product-page/sok-12v100ah-lifepo4-battery

Amazing battery. Can fully disassemble, deal with BMS shut downs, replace components. Steel shell. Okay BMS BT with some funky things but solid. Most of the negative reviews concerning "dead" batteries is due to internal BMS shutting down due to low voltage cutoff events during storage and shipment. Easy to revive by popping the top off and juicing it manually for a few minutes to wake it up. Known company with lots of forum support across the intertubes which is a plus.

woytovich

Observer
Great suggestions... Just not falling into the cheap/too good a deal to pass up categories. (Yes, I know: usually you get what you pay for)

86scotty

Cynic
I very happily paid $1k for a 300ah LiTime battery on Amazon about 6 months ago. It's been impressive to say the least.

For that reason just the other day (not Prime Day) I got two 280ah Chins batteries for $650 apiece.

smbisig

Adventurer
I have been a happy 3-year customer of the LiTime brand. I have been running the 200AH version and looks like they now have a self-heating version and it's on sale.

ADMIN - Removed link as it did not go to Amazon

Last edited by a moderator:
There are a million odd brand batteries out there these days and I know that some are trash and some are quite good, and... it's (another) Prime Day. I'm wondering if there are any stand out deals on less expensive (cheaper) but still great quality 100ah LiFeP04 batteries (Prime day or otherwise).
[ I know this is a can-o-worms sort of question, and I'm not looking to get into a whole discussion on the "buy once, cry once" philosophy - I get it. This is a simple question, and if your answer is "no" then that's fine. ]
Just replaced my Renogy AGM with a 100ah Li Time TM.
Battery has low temp protection. $329.00. Will Prowse said it was a good by at $369.00.

woytovich

Observer
And would the low temp itself damage the battery or would damage only occur is you tried to charge the "cold" battery?

woytovich

Observer
OBVIOUSLY I'm new to the LiFeP04 world....
Compare and contrast these 2 (non-self heating) options please. I DO see that one says "4 cells" and the other "16 cells", and they are packaged differently, but otherwise...?

Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 3.12.03 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 3.11.54 PM.png

highwest

SOK 100ah self heated (critical) Lifpo4. They slashed prices this year. I originally paid 600 each for 2 a year ago. They slashed prices this year. You can watch for sales, I picked up 2 more last month for $440 each.

https://www.us.sokbattery.com/product-page/sok-12v100ah-lifepo4-battery

Amazing battery. Can fully disassemble, deal with BMS shut downs, replace components. Steel shell. Okay BMS BT with some funky things but solid. Most of the negative reviews concerning "dead" batteries is due to internal BMS shutting down due to low voltage cutoff events during storage and shipment. Easy to revive by popping the top off and juicing it manually for a few minutes to wake it up. Known company with lots of forum support across the intertubes which is a plus.
I’ve had the 100Ah non-heated SOK battery for just over 2 years with no issues and just ordered their new 280Ah heated Bluetooth battery. Seems like a great deal for good quality and serviceability. 7yr warranty too. Some other retailers (like Current Connected and others) offer an extended 10yr warranty on their batteries, those businesses are listed on SOK’s website.

Alloy

I’ve had the 100Ah non-heated SOK battery for just over 2 years with no issues and just ordered their new 280Ah heated Bluetooth battery. Seems like a great deal for good quality and serviceability. 7yr warranty too. Some other retailers (like Current Connected and others) offer an extended 10yr warranty on their batteries, those businesses are listed on SOK’s website.

Self heating would be important if the battery would be subjected to temps below....?

Sticking a heating pad to Lithium cells is like trying to cook a 2" frozen steak from one side. Some batteries have 2 or 3 cells (steaks) frozen together.

The ideal temp. for Lithium is 15 °C (60F) to 35 °C (95F). When it's -5C (23F) or -10C(14F) how hot does the pan have to be for the top (where the Lithium temp probe is) of the steak to reach/maintain 5C (40F)?

Edit: I watched the breakdown of the 280Ah SOK. The heating pads are between the cells where it's going to be the warmest vs. the outside where the cells are going to be the coldest.

Last edited:

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
And would the low temp itself damage the battery or would damage only occur is you tried to charge the "cold" battery?

Heated batteries do this: below a certain threshold ( some temp above freezing), they disallow charging and divert the charge input source to an internal heating element. Once the internal temps are safely above the temperature threshold, they divert the incoming power to the normal charging scheme. Lifepo4 can be permanently damaged if they are charged while frozen. They have no problem discharging below freezing. Internal heating is a required thing IMHO nowadays. Any reputable battery company has the option.

Just be sure to read the specs of the internal BMS as they are limited in amp output. Figure out your load calcs and buy accordingly. One reason I advocate getting multiple batteries in parallel VS one larger battery as you can increase the amperage available that way.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy