Best full size gas mpg truck

Malibusurfer

Hi guys,
I hang mostly in the camper van section, but am thinking of selling the van to get a full size truck and build a custom camper in place of the original bed. Trying to keep new camper under 1k lbs. I realize the lighter the better potential for better mpg. It will be built with the best aerodynamics I can come up with....
This truck does not need to be a 4x4 or extra cab. Just trying to get best freeway mpg on a older 88- and up GAS truck. Not bias on any particular brand. Looking to spend under $4-5k.
Anyone have any combo's (motors, trans, rear gears, etc.) that could yield me 20 mpg (freeway driving) or better if even possible in a gas rig.
I travel to SoCal quite a bit for surf trips from Oregon quite regularly and my vans 13 mpg is starting to hurt wallet.
Thanks all.

east_tn_81

Adventurer
That is a big order. Adding a camper is not going to help. I don't think there is a full size truck out there in that price range with a camper that will get you near 20 mpg.

RoyJ

Adventurer
20 honest mpg would be pushing it for an EMPTY older truck, much less with a camper.

The only way I can think of is a Ranger 2.3L with a micro-camper...

Ever thought of a minivan? Or a Ford Transit Connect?

mburrows

Math eh

I think finding a fullsize getting 20 mpg with a camper in the back is improbable.

However you should consider how much gas 4-5K will buy you in your current setup.

If gas prices where $5 per gallon then you could buy 800 gallons of gas and travel 10400 miles. (Gas is expensive up here!)

Compare that with spending $4000 for a new rig that might get 17 mpg. Same scenario (4000/5)*17 = 13600 miles.

Keep your rig and your cost per mile is 38 cents or your new rig cost + fuel 59 cents.

Of course the more miles you put on the new rig the closer the cost per mile becomes (that point would be after driving your new rig 46511 miles).

My point being ........................

from an economics point of view your old van is much cheaper! However building a custom camper is fun and that might be enough reason to justify the expense.

Good luck

98dango

Expedition Leader
My 2002 chevy 1500 4x4 5 speed with the 4.8 v8 gets 22 with a topper and 20 with out. Now this is not a camper but we have lived in it.

Malibusurfer

Well, my build may be a bit weird to all of you.
I am looking at a service box. Gutting the entire insides of the box and making all the doors fake and putting a set of rear doors on and being able to slide thru rear window into camper area. Then adding a angled roof like Knapheide sells. ( they have some examples on their website).
Looking at making it all with 18 gauge steel and probably some fiberglass for aerodynamics, etc... All my interior will be very light weight stuff if I can do it...
My surf trips are done in stealth and camp on streets after dark so I want to look (blend in) like a contractor or plumber with a service truck.. My van is not so stealth at all!!!
I know, very odd idea, but for most of us, building it is half the fun..

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I have a 1998 F150 with the 4.6L V8 which is the smaller of the two V8 engines offered that year. I always drive with CC on and when I'm doing 65 MPH, CC set, and my sleeping platform and gear I get about 13-15 on the highway. Like stated above, you could look for a V6 F150 but it would really struggle with the weight of a camper. For the most part, thats the best MPG you will get with a fullsize truck that would sell for 4-5K. Furthermore, I will be selling my truck in June to buy a T4R. If it sparks your interest send me a PM and I'll tell you more about it (and I'm in SoCal).

FWIW, I think your idea is pretty cool. Stealthy surf rig.

MotoDave

Explorer
A Toyota T100 with the 3.4 V6 would get you real close to that 20mpg, especially with the 5 speed manual (if you can find one). Should haul a 1k lb camper decently, maybe add airbags or helper springs. You can get a 4x4 extra cab for under $5k.

Service beds are horribly heavy, I think you'd be way better off with a normal contractor camper shell on a pickup bed.

Malibusurfer

Only thing I will be using for the service bed are the sides, and just the exterior sides.. Not the boxes themselves.. Everything else will be fabricated with weight in mind.
SDDiver5, I usually head no North SD county to surf and hang...

lqhikers

Adventurer
who is kidding who?

the only true milage figure i would believe is the total milage
under all conditions,not freeway milage,highway milage etc.

for example if you drive along the coast looking for a place to surf,stealth
camp,you will be stopping and going this will drop your total milage a lot.
add in stop and go traffic at busy times and you start to realize what i mean by
true milage.

start adding any weight and you will be surprised how much it adds up,again
your milage will drop.

full size truck as you plan to build and use,no way to get 20 mpg.

small truck,4 maybe v/6 with light weight cab high shell manual trans,
and very light foot possible 20 mpg. with gear etc,add roof rack
milage drops again.

now if you have a lead foot all bets are off!

trust me mpg to me is a game i play all the time trying to improve it!

of course you can always increase your milage the old fashion way-lie! :smiley_drive:

just my thoughts,yours may vary.

Les,lqhikers

Malibusurfer

Ha, ha, lying always makes everything sound better!!!!
In town, I totally know all bets are off, but my drive to SoCal is about 800 miles all freeway and flat after Redding... If I can get the best possible there, the city driving is no biggie and know mpg will suffer...

Scoutn79

Adventurer
I had a 2002 GMC Sierra 4 wd standard cab long box auto with the 4.8l V8. It was a work truck and would carry about 1k lbs over empty in the bed (read no wind resistance) and it regularly got 16-17 in town and 20-21 on the highway.
Down side with a small motor is they are great if you are but once you start to work it with extra weight or poor aerodynamics mileage is really going to suffer. If I put a flatbed car trailer on the back with a medium size car on it the hiway mileage would drop to 13-14 mpg. It would tow just fine but spent to much time in the upper rpm bands on the hills.

Darrell

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal