Best hose clamp for reinforced vinyl pvc clear tubing?

steffen707

I've had major troubles in the past with cheap hose clamps from autozone not keeping coolant lines tight and i'm building my first potable water 12v pump system.

What hose clamps should I use? Yes I know the pressure isn't that great in a system like this, just wondering what others recommend.

Spring clamps like this?
1576530334159.png

cusioned clamp?
1576530355154.png

or a crimp "pex style" thing like this?
1576530654351.png

these weird plastic ones
1576530397417.png

normal hose clamp
1576530446626.png

or this smooth kind that doesn't grab the tubing like the normal hose clamps can?
1576530474028.png

Last edited:

luthj

Engineer In Residence
I like the smooth bore worm drive units.

This crimp on ones can work, but you need the right size. For some hoses you need double crimp bands.

Spring clamps can work well, but they are sensitive to the fittings you are using. You are going to need single barb with a smooth body for the clamp to seat against.

steffen707

I like the smooth bore worm drive units.

This crimp on ones can work, but you need the right size. For some hoses you need double crimp bands.

Spring clamps can work well, but they are sensitive to the fittings you are using. You are going to need single barb with a smooth body for the clamp to seat against.
nice. i started using the smooth bore worm drive or t-nut style ones on auto, unless taking a spring clamp off, and putting it back on.

Joe917

Explorer
For potable water vinyl tubing is not the best. Go with PEX pipe and use the crimp fittings. Stay away from the" tool less" shark bite fittings.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
I like pex as well. Inexpensive, reliable connections, which won't leak due to typical vibration or thermal cycling. For tight areas it can be tough due to the mentioned bend radius. For lower pressure applications (less than 40psi), you can use a little heat to get tighter bends if you can keep the lines from kinking.

steffen707

For potable water vinyl tubing is not the best. Go with PEX pipe and use the crimp fittings. Stay away from the" tool less" shark bite fittings.
I like pex as well. Inexpensive, reliable connections, which won't leak due to typical vibration or thermal cycling. For tight areas it can be tough due to the mentioned bend radius. For lower pressure applications (less than 40psi), you can use a little heat to get tighter bends if you can keep the lines from kinking.
i've read multiple times not to use pex in these types of systems because of water hammering.....

steffen707

i've read multiple times not to use pex in these types of systems because of water hammering.....
also one difficult thing i've run into is getting a pex fitting to come straight out of the water tank. I can't find any bulkhead fittings with 3/4 pex. I suppose I could just get a 3/4 FIP bulkhead fitting then do a 3/4MIP to 3/4pex out of that. I was trying to avoid all thread tape, lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears