Best road/gravel commuter tire?

Scott Brady

Founder
I am going to convert my old Schwinn Moab to a commuter bike, as I only live 1.2 miles from the shop. I was feeling silly firing up an expensive expedition truck for the short commute, the engine never warming up.

I need some new tires anyways, so I am looking for a good commuter tire, but one that can also take a little smooth gravel, as we have a bike trail that connects the local coffee shop and some basic shopping areas.

A bias towards smooth rolling and lightweight comes to mind...

Something like this: Schwalbe Marathon Extreme
l_img_marathon_extreme.gif

Any thoughts?

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Just about anything will do the trick. Personally, I'd use old mountain bike tires that have lost enough tread to be really good for trail use. Do a little re-cycling. As I remember, the tires on your Epic might be smaller tires? Maybe slip those over to the commuter and buy some bigger meat for the Epic. This time of year it's nice to have slightly bigger freshies on the mountain bike as the trails get loosey goosey in summer.

But...those Schwalbs look pretty sweet.

Scott Brady

Founder
The ones on the Schwinn and Epic are both super old and hard (and cracking). Time for some replacements. Great idea on the using old/worn treads. I just need to ride more, so that I have worn dirt tires to "cycle" in to the commuter :D

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
When I started using my MTB more for commuting than trail riding, I switched over to some Bontrager semi-slicks...I can't remember the name and I don't think they make them anymore but they were very similar to these:

4131-1-lg.jpg

I wanted something that was a lot smoother on the pavement and sidewalks but if I wanted to cut across a park or vacant lot I didn't need to worry about grip or avid tire punctures. I would definitely look at the cyclocross tires, but if you want to add a little funk to your bike the Sweetskins are pretty.....sweet.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Bought my wife's Stumpjumper HT some semi-slick tires for ~$18 each. They are 26x1.9 They work well on the street and a little bit of dirt, too. I believe they're made by Kenda.

Scott Brady

Founder
I think this one might be perfect:
hello_kitty_tire.jpg

Low resistance, yet with a CAD traction design and high-tech siping. Serious tire!

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
We've used the Avocet Cross tire for many years on our road tandem. It's proven to be a durable tire with reasonable performance, and it can handle gravel trails like those you describe. It's available in both 700C and 26" sizes.

Here's kind of a crummy picture of the tread pattern:

pr-Bike_Parts_Accessories-Avocet_Cross_II_Tire_700_x_32-resized200.jpg

Navman

Adventurer
Hello Kitty all the way.

There are quite a few good commuter tires. I like to use Kenda small block 8s if there is any possibility of taking a detour off the bike path and onto some dirt. Much less rolling resistance than real knobbies but still have great traction on the dirt.

FreeManDan

Adventurer
Micro Knobby
url

Kenda Tomac Small Block Eight
url

WTB Wolverine Race (good front tire)
url

Panaracer Rampage, ridiculously low rolling resistance, ridiculously good traction....in 29er anyway
url

Hutchinson Python
images

Were I you, I would just use whatever tire I had not being used, and I have a lot of used tires just sitting around...some people even dumpster dive bike shop dumpsters:snorkel:

TCM

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0006
I second the Kenda Small Block Eight. It is a great tire for use on pavement and the occasional spin on hard pack or dirt roads.

FreeManDan

Adventurer
Occasional? I know a guy who will ride nothing else on every trail conditions Texas, Oklahoma, and Colorado has to offer. He only tries new tired on the front. IMO it only has short comings in mud and trails with lots of roots.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I think the best commuter tire is a cheap one. No reason to go nutty on the purchase of a commuter tire as it's going to wear quickly if it's of the knobbie variety.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77