Best tires for a fullsize ??

Zatara

Adventurer
It's time for some new tires and while I have read a few threads about tires here, they seem to be geared more towards smaller SUVs and trucks.
I have a Chevy 2500HD and am looking for a good A/T tire or maybe a mild mannered M/T tire.
I would be looking for either a 265 or 285 size and would want a good load/tow rating.
I will say, in the past I have had BFG A/Ts before and they didn't really impress me. Maybe the newer versions are better ?

Some I have been looking at are......
Goodyear kevlar A/T and MTR
BFG A/T and M/T
Bridgestone Revo
Yokohama Geolander ATS

SicNick

Observer
I'm really Liking the new GY duratracs. Mtr sidewall and shoulder with a slighty more load/street friendly design, will be my next set of tires unless they get really bad reviews

Zatara

Adventurer
I'm really Liking the new GY duratracs. Mtr sidewall and shoulder with a slighty more load/street friendly design, will be my next set of tires unless they get really bad reviews

There is a thread on them in the general vehicle modification forum and someone posted they were going to get the duratracs until they actually saw them.
Said the sidewall was thin and flexible and bought the new Kevlar Goodyear MTRs instead.

SicNick

Observer
the carcass is the same as the normal MTR, the guy who said that puts 130k on a 1 ton 4x4 truck every year, he'd be hard on any tire.

They are cool looking to me, come from a great company, reasonably priced, and are designed as a heavier vehicle at/mt tire. Is that not what you are looking for?:Wow1:

I just put these 285/75r16 Hankook RF-10 ATm tires on my F-250 Super Duty. They are a load range E so it is perfect for a heavy truck or if you tow. They have an aggressive pattern to them. I like them much better then the Firestone Destination M/T tires that I had on the Dodge. I didn't see if you had 16 or 17 inch rims. These are for a 16 inch rim. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-28...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

If you use the Live.com cashback with the ebay.com buy it now price you will get an extra 8-13% off of the purchase price. I have an 8% off coupon now but when I purchased them it was 11%. No tax and no shipping. Had the tires installed at a local shop for $50.

Last edited:

Zatara

Adventurer
the carcass is the same as the normal MTR, the guy who said that puts 130k on a 1 ton 4x4 truck every year, he'd be hard on any tire.

They are cool looking to me, come from a great company, reasonably priced, and are designed as a heavier vehicle at/mt tire. Is that not what you are looking for?:Wow1:

I know the thread you are referring to, the 09 Chevy.
However, there are a couple other threads discussing the Duratracs and how they chose the MTRs because of the sidewalls.
One was a Jeep, IIRC.

Zatara

Adventurer
After reading some more, I am leaning towards the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor or their new Duratracs.
The Silent Armors have a 50,000 mile warranty, the Duratracs don't.
Does anyone have any experience with the Silent Armors vs the BFG ATs ??
Or in general, how about any experience with the Silent Armors off road ??

Rot Box

Explorer

I have 265/75R17 10ply Silent Armors under my 01 Dodge. I have more than enough good things to say about them :elkgrin: I have not had them in deep mud yet, but I will say that they are impressive in snow and ice. They are very quiet on the highway as well. They cost a lot, but I feel that it is cheap insurance in the long run.

Imo the BFG AT's have a dated and noisy tread design. In my experience they were not the best (although good) snow/ice tires expecially compared to the Silent Armors. I would bet money that the Good Years last MUCH longer as well.

Outback

Explorer
After reading some more, I am leaning towards the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor or their new Duratracs.
The Silent Armors have a 50,000 mile warranty, the Duratracs don't.

We put the Silent Armor Goodyears on one of our Chevy Duallies and we had problems. The tires (all 6 of them) developed blisters in the side walls. BIG BLISTERS. Softball size! They were so big that one of them wore down one of the front ABS wires or sensors. Then when the blisters blow they sound like a tire just blew! Loud and scary when your not expecting it! No the Silent Armors have problems. Once the blister blows there is a tear on the outer side wall area. But the tires still held air.

Outback

Explorer
When ever we can we always try and get Goodyears. We have always had good luck until this one set of tires. Maybe they were a bad run. In general Goodyear produces a top quality tire. I would go with the Dura Tracs since our experience with the silent armors. The Dura Trac has a great tread pattern and I will use those for winter time. Good luck.

Zatara

Adventurer
When ever we can we always try and get Goodyears. We have always had good luck until this one set of tires. Maybe they were a bad run. In general Goodyear produces a top quality tire. I would go with the Dura Tracs since our experience with the silent armors. The Dura Trac has a great tread pattern and I will use those for winter time. Good luck.

Did Goodyear replace the tires ??
One of the big selling features on the Silent Armors is the 50,000 mile warranty so I would hope they would have taken care of you.
I like the Duratracs but have read a couple of comments about the sidewalls and they don't have the tread life warranty.
I would think the Silent Armors or the Duratracs would be equal to the BFG A/Ts in off road performance ??

SicNick

Observer
based on a the appearance of the tread, I'd say for traction duratracs would get the top spot, then bfg ats, then the SAs. And therefore longevity the opposite. However the Pro comp AT is right in the same category as well and also boasts a 50k mile treadwear warranty:snorkel:

Zatara

Adventurer
based on a the appearance of the tread, I'd say for traction duratracs would get the top spot, then bfg ats, then the SAs. And therefore longevity the opposite. However the Pro comp AT is right in the same category as well and also boasts a 50k mile treadwear warranty:snorkel:

Thanks, I'll look at the Pro Comps as well.
I'm also considering the Yokohama Geolander ATS
I have them on the 4Runner and they are great tires but not sure if they would do well on a fullsize truck.

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
I love my BFG MT/km2 tires I'm running on my 01 F250 CCSB PSD, I've also run the Pro Comp Xtreme MT and they work very well, but run wide & rub more than the BFG

KMET

Adventurer
We put the Silent Armor Goodyears on one of our Chevy Duallies and we had problems. The tires (all 6 of them) developed blisters in the side walls. BIG BLISTERS. Softball size! They were so big that one of them wore down one of the front ABS wires or sensors. Then when the blisters blow they sound like a tire just blew! Loud and scary when your not expecting it! No the Silent Armors have problems. Once the blister blows there is a tear on the outer side wall area. But the tires still held air.

I have read (on other sites) others have had same problem...

Anyone have any experince with Michelin® LTX® A/T2 ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy