Best tires for a fullsize ??

hill1066

best tires/worst conditions

I follow the philosophy of having the best tire for the worst conditions I am going to encounter. It is difficult to make a recommendation when information regarding conditions you will see is lacking. I live in Maryland and have a 2002 2500 4x4 Suburban. I go to the Outer Banks (beach driving), Assateaque (the same), and into the mountains (haha) of Virginia and WVA year round. So I face a little bit of rocks, some mud, and ice and snow. I like the GY MTR (285/75/16) and have also used the BFG Mud Terrain.

Outback

Explorer
Did Goodyear replace the tires ??
One of the big selling features on the Silent Armors is the 50,000 mile warranty so I would hope they would have taken care of you.
I like the Duratracs but have read a couple of comments about the sidewalls and they don't have the tread life warranty.
I would think the Silent Armors or the Duratracs would be equal to the BFG A/Ts in off road performance ??

I know Goodyear would have BUT we are on such a schedule that the time to go and find a Goodyear dealer (if one is not around) would have takle to much time. To miss our quota is not an option. People here who talk about sidewall strength are talking about trail toughness. If you use your truck occasionally off road then I wouldnt worry about them. If your a serious off roader then yes I would go with a stronger sidewall tire like the BFG 3 ply or the new Kevlar Goodyears. If I was working in lava rock fields (which we do sometimes) then a super swammper or Michelin XL or XZL would be the best choice. It all comes down to how you will be using your truck and the field conditions it will be used in. To be honost BFGs ATs or even The BFG MTs would be an excellent choice for 95% of us. BUT as with me and allot of us we want the best and newest. The BFGs would work just fine for 90% of my needs.

pete.wilson

Adventurer
Hey

I had a 94 GMC Suburban 4X4 and I mounted Dynapro RF10 M/T's (235/85/16)and had real good luck with them. On my present vehicle, 2000 Ford F150 extended cab 4X4 w/ Unicover Construction topper, I have Nitto Terra Graplers (295/75/17) and so far am rather pleased with those. I would at this point recommend either one.

Pete Wilson

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I love my BFG MT/km2 tires I'm running on my 01 F250 CCSB PSD, I've also run the Pro Comp Xtreme MT and they work very well, but run wide & rub more than the BFG

Hey Mr Rockcrawler... How long have you been running the KM2s and what is the treadware/noise level like? I have heard good things but would love another opinion on these. Thanks

milo12

Adventurer
I have had the Goodyear silent armor tires. They were great but got the sidewall blisters. Sold that truck

On my current truck I have run 35 inch Toyo MT's for 12,000 miles. They are an amazing tire. Great traction tough as nails, everything good. They do wear quickly on the highway and are expensive.

Last week I took off the the Toyo's and put on the 37 inch Yokohama Geolandar ATS. Wow what a difference. The Toyo's are an incredibly tough, stiff tire. The ride like they have 100 plies even at low pressures. The Yoko's ride like a plush carpet. I have had them on rocky off road trails and the sand dunes and the traction is no different that the Toyo's. I'm sure they will be worse in mud. But from the look of the tread they should be better on snow and wet.

One other plus is the Yoko's are much cheaper than the Toyo's. Given the longer tread life and lower price I estimate the Yoko's are less than half the price of the Toyo's.

bat

Explorer
I just can't see why you would run 10 ply tires they seem like they would be very stiff. I can see if you tow big trailers and such but camping and all 8 ply seem plenty.

276KEY

I will second the note on the Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10...after reading the reviews on discounttire.com I was sold on them. The LT tires are 8-10 plies vs. the standard 4-5 ply P rated tires. There is a promotion $40 is you order online, plus they offer free shipping. I recently got mine installed so I can't give you a solid personal experience with them.

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
I am VERY happy with my BFG MT KM2's 35's. Extremely aggresive off road yet tame (ish) on road. Best tire I have ever used.

Rev

Adventurer
Firestone Destination MT's

love 'em!

IMG_1574.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy