Best Way To Stay Cold

Ozarker

Well, I have a collection of coolers, all small and medium sizes I guess. Reading the cooler review I'm not sure a 25 or 30 quart for hundreds of dollars is really the best solution.

What say you guys? A 100 quart mammoth or two 50 quart or should we break up the sizes like a 30/40 quart, a 50 quart and a 10 or 20 quart?

Here are some thoughts on the one big mammoth grand daddy of a cooler.

I'd think a dedicated space is really needed, I don't want to carry a giant cooler full of ice and foods around, yes, some come with wheels but thinking of that; do I want to unload it, wheel it into position in my kitchen area and still have it on the ground, muddy or dirty wheels then need to be cleaned before packing away. A large slide out of the truck or trailer solves the totting problem, but that storage space is pretty well dedicated and where it goes may depend on the rest of your load, they can get heavy......at least for me.

My experience is that larger coolers have a slower melt rate, ice stays longer, especially with block ice or dry ice. The size of the coolers discussed in the EP review weren't significantly larger as I recall.

I have used a little Coleman 10 quart in the truck cab or car, perfect size for sandwiches, snacks and beverages while on the road.
Ice is good for a couple days and 3 days it works so long as you don't empty the water.

A Rubbermaid 20 quart lasts 3 to 4 days with meats. almost 5 days for drinks. This is bagged ice being used.

Had a Camper DeVille, fold out trailer with a mammoth built in ice chest, plywood exterior about 3' of insulation and insulated top and metal lined, that kept thing cold for 2 weeks with dry ice off to the AZ deserts and back to MO. It was built in the center of the trailer and you flipped a bed back to get to the kitchen.

I also rotate foods, as a small cooler loses its ice, food is consumed from larger coolers and items in the small cooler are moved around to the coldest cooler.

Then there are the tricks of good cooler management, limited openings, using cold items in containers to limit the air space and keeping them full. Stowed around things that help insulate the cooler.

Seems that if my beer is in the meat cooler, I open it more often, probably not a good idea.

So it seems to me that the better approach would be the use of several coolers. Different sizes, a bigger one for the drinks and longer term frozen items, smaller for condiments, lunch meat in another as it might be used quicker and so on.

Or, have you found that the big Kahoona jobs work best and use a smaller one to carry about as needed?

What is your preference for a week or more?

Now, if you have the ability to make ice, I guess it doesn't matter too much. :coffeedrink:

Ozarker

LOL, I know there is the blinding flash of the obvious, but wondered if I should plan a big kahoona ice chest in a build or break the cold stuff up in 3 or more areas. one will be in the cab anyway. But what's your experience with your set up?

If I were going to spend $350 for a 35 quart cooler I'd probably just get a fridge.

thefishhawk

Adventurer
Maybe I am reading this wrong but it sounds like you are doing your rotation backwards. You don't want to be putting things back in the coldest cooler. Have one freezer and one fridge, items from the freezer get moved to the fridge once a day to get used that day. Having drinks in with frozen meat means you are going to open that freezer more, the last thing you want to do. Open and closing all the time is the single most melt causing thing you can do, so for a longer term trip having one that stays closed is the key.

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
With multiple coolers we do it this way (note everything is either frozen or at least cooled before packing) Cooler 1 and 2 are packed so they are out of the sun and heat as much as possible.

1 - Cooler 1 the Freezer - Everything is frozen stiff, the colder the better before leaving. Large block ice is used when starting and if can be found on the road. The freezer is only opened every day or two or three. Unless it is a long trip and we cannot help it (and this is seldom to never) NOTHING is ever put in unless it is already frozen solid - this is a sure way to use up your cold.

2 - Cooler 2 the long term fridge. Stuff is put in here that we only need every day or two as well. If we can we put frozen product in as often as possible (just be careful you do not have products that don't like real cold, things like bananas). Some things you can let to start and thaw in here like cans of frozen orange juice, meat, etc. Before we leave we have partially frozen pop and frozen water bottles in here to aid in keeping cold.

3 - Cooler 3 the abused one. This contains the drinks for the day, food for the day or even two days. Usually in the front of the vehicle. Uses the most ice!

You can also use a fridge but make sure that you also use a #3 cooler to save on loosing the cold on the fridge. An even better idea is to pack as much, if not all, items that do not require being kept cold.

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
Maybe I am reading this wrong but it sounds like you are doing your rotation backwards. You don't want to be putting things back in the coldest cooler. Have one freezer and one fridge, items from the freezer get moved to the fridge once a day to get used that day. Having drinks in with frozen meat means you are going to open that freezer more, the last thing you want to do. Open and closing all the time is the single most melt causing thing you can do, so for a longer term trip having one that stays closed is the key.

^^^^^
THIS - if you gotta have coolers. I use both fridge and coolers - for different reasons.

Fridge for food.

Small Coleman Stainless cooler for drinks, lunch, etc.

Yeti 105 for my boat.

Ozarker

No, that wasn't what I was meaning fishhawk, Mike has the rotation idea, I go to the coldest as ice melts and that will be #3 as Mike mentions.

I don't mind a fridge, might put one in, but I've never used one for a week, much less two weeks. The camp sits there, do I run the genny every 4 hours to keep the fridge going, run off a sting of batteries or put out an solar panel farm? I'm not sure which is more expensive, ice or fuel to produce electricity to run a fridge that just keeps something cool, barely cold. Not just the expense, but where do you carry that extra fuel to run a genny. And, there are propane fridges too. Now, if I were building a motorhome I might consider a commercial fridge.

I'm thinking along the lines as Photomike described, 3, maybe 4 with the 4th being the in cab vehicle cooler.

I've been with others who used the big kahoona chests, 100 quart +, they were great for the 2 days at the lake, especially on the boat, but we didn't haul it around really and those outings weren't very long, so I don't know how they would perform compared to other set ups.

Also don't know if the coolers featured in the review make a significant difference from the $49.99 coolers that you can toss out after 3 years if you do abuse them. Getting a $400 life time cooler might be just right for the 30 year old who has 35 + years of camping ahead, but the guy who is 65 yeas old might only use a $40.00 job the rest of his life. Might be the only other cool feature is setting the trendy ones on the table to let other campers admire it, that might apply to some fridge as well. However, the cheap ones aren't bear proof! There are always trade offs, but what is the value of the trade off?

The next area to consider is building a large fridge from components, a plate, compressor, evaporator and highly insulated box, which is what many off shore boaters use. Actually, not a fridge as much as a freezer. Then we are back to the power requirements.

I'm going to bet most on this site just use cheap ice chests, practical and functional, probably not tossed off the back of a truck. Just remembered too, I had an old coleman cooler that went in my footlocker that did get tossed off the back of a duce n a half, didn't hurt the wood locker or the cooler and it couldn't splash with a lid locked down on it.

We might just settle for warm beer toward the end of a trip. A cooler is a luxury. :)

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
We may be nuts, okay I admit I am :sombrero:

I do have a fridge in the truck camper and I LOVE it! My fridge runs off propane and does not require any power. It does a good job and costs very little to run.

But there are times that you cannot take the truck camper or have too many people to make the fridge usable. That is when I pack coolers. You can make a cheaper cooler work better if you pack things around it like coats, sleeping bags, etc for the hot times of day.

I remember years ago on a day hike with a lady I was dating. Hiked for 3 hours, stopped for lunch and found out the fuel on the camp stove had leaked out, she was not impressed!!!!!! Found some guys and asked if we could use some of their fuel. "NO you cannot", "But we would be happy to make you lunch"!! They had EVERYTHING you could want for a week in the bush - steaks, cheese, meats, wines, beer, liquor, etc, etc. They were offended that we did not want a 5 course lunch :) They froze all their meats before leaving home, refrigerated the rest, packed them inside their packs, got to where they were going and put the drinks in the creek to cool off, meats in the snow at the glacier or in the stream. Now that is a great fridge and freezer idea!

thefishhawk

Adventurer
sometimes I have to remember I'm on a car camping site...fridge would be awesome but my long term trips are two week long rafting trips so that's not an option. Still had a chunk of ice left after 17 days down the Grand Canyon in July one year.

My main cooler is a 120q yeti, but I've used ones 160-180. You are right for this kind of camping they are more of a hassle, in a raft once you move it there, it's set for the duration. The big ones are great for long term ice retention, but if you are opening them 10 times a day they are going to suck like everything else. I agree, I don't see the purpose in high dollar coolers for small sizes. One thing about the high dollar coolers is that thick, dense insulation takes a ton of ice just to cool down. pre-chilling these coolers is an important step. Now, if you are talking about one big one in a truck bed and smaller one in the cab, then maybe a good cooler would be worth it for the bed cooler. Really comes down to how long you need to go. A fridge is ideal, but a lot goes into that. I'm just glad I bought my big cooler 10 years ago before it got crazy and doubled in price for no other reason than advertising. The decision is certainly more complicated today with cooler prices being what they are.

4x4junkie

Explorer
I don't mind a fridge, might put one in, but I've never used one for a week, much less two weeks. The camp sits there, do I run the genny every 4 hours to keep the fridge going, run off a sting of batteries or put out an solar panel farm? I'm not sure which is more expensive, ice or fuel to produce electricity to run a fridge that just keeps something cool, barely cold. Not just the expense, but where do you carry that extra fuel to run a genny. And, there are propane fridges too. Now, if I were building a motorhome I might consider a commercial fridge.

That sounds more like the type of experience you'd have with a cheap thermoelectric cooler...
A real freon-based fridge (ARB, Edgestar, Waeco/Dometic, etc.) will freeze things rock-solid if you set the thermostat low enough, and will sip only a tiny fraction of power while doing so.
With a portable solar setup (170W on a MPPT solar controller), I don't think I've ever once started my engine or fired up a genny solely to recharge the batteries... even while camped stationary for a week straight and experiencing several partly to mostly-cloudy days (and that's with using a bunch of LED campsite lights in addition to my Edgestar FP430 fridge too).

This thread is exactly why I bought a fridge. You guys are nuts.

×3

I still occasionally use a single cooler for drinks and other non-perishables, but don't see myself ever going back to coolers for food stuff. I suspect a majority of users here are now using freon-based fridges (virtually everyone I know personally is using one anyway).

Ozarker

Yes guys, I'm an old goat, I've never had any experience with the fridges mentioned, mine were electric and electric/propane in a camper or boat. Large boat, residential size, so that doesn't count.

I wasn't aware that the newer fridges were that efficient, so that is great!

I think I'm with Mike and Frenchie that a combination would serve well for longer trips.

I'm only going with two of us and the dog, at times we may have guests for a couple days but nothing longer term.

There is also the trade off of space and weight. I think coolers are easier to pack and as they empty can serve other purposes for dry storage. Had an uncle who used old coolers locked up as you would pelican cases, before pelican cases were around.

BTW, as a lake guy, just put the beer and drinks in a net bag and tie on the the anchor line, at 40 feet or more you'll have cold/cool drinks regardless of what the temp is on deck. Rivers on the down side of a damn are cold enough to keep things cooled off too and you don't need to go too deep.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven