Best Winter tire for LT on 15" Rims : edited with suggestions

JayT

I suggest the Cooper Discoverer M+S. I run them on my 3/4 ton all winter here in Manitoba, and my Dad uses them on his 1 ton dually in BC. They work great on both trucks in the dry, icey winter of Manitoba and the wet, snowy winter in BC. All around a good tire with unsurpassed traction on snow and ice. Check them out.

dzzz

Silentarmor aren't dedicated snow tires. I was comparing AT tires with a snow rating vs. BFG AT tires. BFG AT seem more appropriate for people who don't normally drive on snow.
The expensive silentarmor tires seem to have a very good reputation. They're appropriate for an expo vehicle as they should be hard to damage. Although not everyone will want to pay more for that feature.
The Wrangler line is vast and goodyear applies the name to a wide variety of tires. As with all tire lines the cheap ones are unimpressive.
On my Ford truck I've gone factory Wrangler to BFG AT to Wrangler Silentarmor. I stopped routinely engaging the 4x4 in snow with Silentarmor. All were good enough in snow, but my latest tires are by far the best. I expect most snow rated AT tires will best the BFG AT in winter. Too bad there isn't a "All Season AT" designation.

Last edited:

beast1210

Adventurer
Thanks for all the suggestions, I will edit the first post with links to help other reading this thread later. I run a 35x12.5r15 now, knowing I have to at least go down to a 31x10.5r15 for a true winter tire "soft compound", that's the size I was shooting for anyway. I did find a few in 265/75r15 which is a 31" but not a true LT because its only 4ply ( thoughts?). As for the suggestions for all seasons, AT or MT, Iv done that route, great for the first day or so in fresh snow but once it gets packed down and the roads stay cold or worse hover around freezing just enough to melt then refreeze the roads into an Ice rink, all seasons just cant handle it safely. Still debating weather or not to stud or not, Thanks again, I will edit my first post with the choices I found, feel free to comment on my selection with your experiences.

fisher205

Explorer
I used to ski coach and our region was South Dakota, Wyoming, Utah, Idaho, and Montana so I covered a lot of miles on bad roads. I used the Nokian's and studded Cooper M&S 's and really liked both tires. They were used only as dedicated snow tires. Last year I put some Treadwright Sentinels with Kedge grip and was very impressed with the way they handled ice and snow. I am planning on putting a set on one of my other pickups.

98roamer

Explorer
I run the Bridestone Blizzak DM-V1 as a winter set on my 98 4Runner and it's amazing. We get a good combo of ice and snow around here and I can't say enough good about these tires. I'm on my 5th winter season and they are just now showing some loss of performance, but I also run to Florida every winter on them and that will crush a winter tire.

Limited sizes:
PriceSizeServ. Desc.
215/70R15 98R $99.00 (ea.)
235/75R15 108R $115.00 (ea.)

Flagster

Expedition Leader
You don't say what size you want, but I'd recommend the Hankook ATM RF10. These tires a freakin amazing in the snow and ice on road.
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fi...=true&cf=false&rd=15&sw=false&rc=WASINT&cs=31

hanvl2.ang.jpg

x2 and x3 since I put them on two trucks in the middle of a strong winter here in AZ last year...I was amazed at the traction I got.
Great winter tire!

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
I run the FS winter force on my UZJ100, fantatsic for the money <100 each IIRC for 255/75/16s

That said, I have been a hardcore Nokian fan for a decade. I run RSIs and Hakka 2s on my street cars and race them on my rally car. Nuthin builds confidence in snow tires like going tripple digits on'm. And and going sideways on snow at 50 MPH, and with a flick of the wheel get traction back.

Duratracs in the snow....laughable...., not snow tires, not even close (don't let the snow-flake symbol fool you). I current own 2 sets. Sure you can get going in snow with them but below 20F they get hard and don't stop well, like most all seasons. If you want a strong snow performing/snow biased all season look at the Nokian WRG2. I ran them soly year round on my 4RNR for 4 years, got 50K out of first set. Pretty damn good on gravel and light mud too. Many guys in southern new england run'm as just snow tires--they are that good in the snow.

The Fleckster

Hi Cody Burwell (Beast1210)

I finally found you. Good to see you are doing well. I sent you a private message about our unfinished business and hope to hear from you sooner than later.

Regards
John

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven