bfg at vs. cooper st

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
Redline said:
I'm not going to say "bad idea”. I'm also not going to say I have never done such a thing... :roost:

When you say the Coopers are smoother at 10-lbs of air do you mean you dump your 255s down to 10-psi for the dirt? That's pretty low. Are they on an 80 or 4Runner (can’t tell from your pic).
Sorry, Posting on the run is bad!
Its a 4runner.
I just meant I can put 10 pounds more air in the coopers and the ride feels better still than my bfg's
I run my coopers at 40 on the road and about 22 offroad.
I ran my BFG's at 30 on road and about 18 off. They were more rough on the road and... oddly I'll give them the tip of the hat off road. Those stiff sidewalls could get aired down more and the wider tire seemed to have a balloon affect that gave it a good offroad ride.
I still like the coopers. I wish the cooper-st-c came in 255's. The ST's chunk a bit if you abuse them and the st-c seems to have corrected that. :victory:
Do as I say, not as I do. Speeding is bad and stupid when fully loaded. I get smarter and more cautiuos every week of my life.
(but spellcheck in my daily work is ruining my spelling... :))

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Redline said:
I would guess that a constant/average speed over 87-mph is very uncommon, even for fast drivers.
Ha! About the only way my truck might ever hit 87 MPH would be getting pushed out of the cargo hold of a C17.

rovingowl

Observer
as you guys have mentioned, my truck only sees high speedfor brief periods of time and only sees sustained speeds of about 75 - 80mph.

SPEED RATING: In this test, the speed ratings range from N to T. This specifies the maximum speed that you can travel at with this tyre inflated to its maximum labelled pressure. N=140km/h, P=150km/h, Q=160km/h, R=170km/h, S=180km/h, T=180km/h.

am i correct in assuming that running lower than maximum psi would be slightly safer? what psi is reccomended for on-road travel in a 235/85/16 for an '07 taco?

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I was reading some old threads and saw that nobody responded to your question. I don't know if you are still active on the Portal but to answer your question -

It depends on the weight of the truck. LT235/85R16 tires are almost always load-range-E and pretty firm, which makes me prefer lower pressures.

I can't imagine you need to run more that 35-PSI for any reasonable Tacoma load. LT235/85R16 tires are rated for 1,700-lbs per tire at 35-psi for 65-MPH in single-rear-wheel applications. 3,400-lbs per axle should give you lots of cushion for reasonable freeway speeds because you will likely have much less than 1,700-lbs on each tire .

There is a good chance that if driven moderately you would be able to run lower than 35-psi. Deflate at your own risk and when in doubt run higher instead of lower PSI.

rovingowl said:
as you guys have mentioned, my truck only sees high speedfor brief periods of time and only sees sustained speeds of about 75 - 80mph.

am i correct in assuming that running lower than maximum psi would be slightly safer? what psi is reccomended for on-road travel in a 235/85/16 for an '07 taco?

Cackalak Han

Explorer
FWIW, I run my 235/85/16's at 40PSI f/r. Lower PSI was cushier, but with this skinny/tall tire, the handling suffered. But at 40PSI, it seems to be a good compromise between ride comfort and handling. My wife has not complained about the ride, so it seems to be all good. :D

Oh, the 235/85's are almost always rated at load range E, because most people only put them on 3/4 and 1 ton trucks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy

Members online