BFG MT KM2 vs. Toyo Open Country MT

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
I have started looking for my next tire and have settled on trying a set of 255/85R16's. I currently have a set of BFG MT KM2's on my 4Runner now but am very interested in the Toyo MT's. The real question I have is if the Toyo's are worth the extra $80-$100 per tire? Have any of you run both and do you like one over the other?

Expedition Leader
I have started looking for my next tire and have settled on trying a set of 255/85R16's. I currently have a set of BFG MT KM2's on my 4Runner now but am very interested in the Toyo MT's. The real question I have is if the Toyo's are worth the extra $80-$100 per tire? Have any of you run both and do you like one over the other?

I'm running both right now, one set each on two different 4WD trucks. I've got more than 50,000 miles on the Toyo Open Country MT's and only about 5,000 miles on the KM2's.

Toyo Open Country MT's: Very strong sidewall, very rock/cut resistant. Long tread life but (like most mud tires) they have become very noisy with age. The sidewalls are so stiff that they must be aired way down to soften for traction, like 10-11 psi (I have never rolled a bead even at those pressures). They grip well in dirt and on rocks when aired down, they have surprised me with how well they did in snow, but contrary to the "MT" appellation they do not do very well in mud, at least in thick clay mud the lugs fill quickly and lose traction. I'm pleased with the strength and tread life of these tires. If strength and puncture resistance are your primary need, these are the tires for you.

BFG KM2's: Better highway ride than the Toyos, softens better at reasonable psi than the Toyos. Excellent traction off-road when softened, good traction in snow, better traction in mud than the Toyos. Have yet to have a puncture or flat in these tires, but I don't have that many miles on them. Difficult to balance (took a lot of wheel weights). I hope these tires will last a long time because I like them. I hope they are puncture-resistant but the sidewalls are definitely softer than the Toyos. If you want a mud tire with pretty decent road manners that still performs well off-road, these tires are a good choice.

Hope this is helpful -

BigAl

Expedition Leader
I have a few thousand miles on a set of KM2s. They are nice on the street, but in the mud they are not that great. You can't have it all:(

pulltilbroke

Adventurer
I am kinda in the same predicament as the OP but my decision is down to the Maxxis Bighorn and the BFG KM2 in the 255/85 size.

Has any one ran both of these tires? If so what are your thoughts and opinions of each. Is one better than the other? I like BFG tires and never have had any issues with em but have never ran any Maxxis stuff yet. I also like the fact that the BFG is a ten ply E range tire rated at 3400 whereas the Maxxis is only a D range rated at 3000.

These will be going on my 90 Dodge CTD, It weighs right at 6500-7000 Just riding around home with my usuall tools and other things. Loaded weight would be around 8000-8500.

T.C.

The way I've always understood it is that they are both great tires, the Toyos are better for the 3/4 and up guys and the BFGs are better for the 1/2 ton and jeep types. I've tried tires on my 2500 that were great on my ramcharger but sucked ding dongs on the heavier rig...

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
I'd say keep the BFG's... Toyo's for SOME unknown reason command a premium price. I'd rather have the extra change and Tires I KNOW will last a long time... The KM2's have proven them selves here in the NW to me, the Toyo's just haven't cut it. FWIW both sets of tires are on identicaly built XJ cherokee's and the traction in the NW soup has been NOTICABLE. Granted NEITHER of them have the dig of the OLD BFG KM's but then the new KM2's are ALOT quieter and last longer so...PLus they do well in snow. Neither one is as good as the Venerable BFG AT-KO's in SNow. The KM2's SIPED are the better of the two choices.

Toyo's run quiet, but if you're running a true Mud Tire is this really a concern??? Neather of the are Boggers, but the BFG's just perform better in my conditions... You may find the Toyo's work better where you are, but again, IMO they don't perform well enough to cost that much. PLus I KNOW the carcas of the BFG's to be alot more solid while still air-ing down well. The Toyo's were stiff as could be (both the same 33X21.50 size too, again both mounted on Jeep XJ's of near identical build) and air-ing down didn't seem to make that much difference. The BFG's were MUCH different. Air-d down they were even grippier and worked on all sorts of terrain from Rocks to Wet, nasty roots.

What really suprised me was that my 33x10.50 AT's out perfomrmed the Toyo's in nearly every category BUT the deep mud (I still got through just had to gas it more... The Toyo's cleaned out better, but ONLY marginaly) Then wehn it came time to crawl I got through ALOT easier then the Jeep on teh Toyo's... Granted my 4Runner weigh's more and has a better W/b for climbing, but the Jeep on the KM2's was really shining.

That's my experience and opinon... The NW is a very uh..."different" place compared to most other wheeling grounds. Espescialy this time of year. I will say though we've got it all, from Rocks to Roots to Mud to Snow. THe BFG KM2's are what I'm going to after my AT's wear out.

Cheers

Dave

lwg

Figure I would chime in on the Toyo Open Country in size 265/75/16 on a roughly 6300 lb Land Rover Discovery II.

I actually love the tires. I'm about to purchase my second set in the coming months as mine are starting to get pretty bald for off-road. I have used them all over the PNW and recently in Moab during torrential downpours that turned everything to red clay. I thought the traction was great on the mud and felt I had more confidence than the others did in that situation. I have also found them to be amazing in snow, both powder and packed.

I suspect getting opinions on tires is very subjective as ones ideas as to what works really depends on the setup of the vehicle, including tire size and weight of vehicle, as well as air pressure, wear on tires, temperature of use etc. Additionally the same tire on two identical vehicles can appear to perform very differently when in fact it's the various driving styles of the driver that are the variable.

In the end it's whatever tire gives you that perceived confidence in those hairy situations that matter. Sometimes that extra confidence is just enough to get you through without incident.

Expedition Leader
Which would you say is better for hardpack snow and ice?

Hmmm... I've driven both trucks in snow and ice, and they both did surprisingly well. I'd probably give a slight nod the Toyo's, but mostly because I've driven them in the snow and ice fairly frequently but the BFG KM2's only once.

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
I was not impressed with ice performance with the KM2. For everything else, the traction is fantastic.

Durability is another issue. I have gone through several sidewalls in the year and a half that I have owned the KM2s.

I have not run the Toyos yet myself, but have friends who do. They are durable, long lasting, and a good all around performer. Super thick sidewalls make for a very heavy tire, but the durability is definitely there. They are expensive, but you get what you pay for, IMO.

Ronct110

Adventurer
Have yet to have a puncture or flat in these tires, but I don't have that many miles on them... I hope they are puncture-resistant but the sidewalls are definitely softer than the Toyos.

Good exp thus far on KM2s. Side walls might be softer feel than Toyo but my exp has been great; they took a lot of beating on my trip to the Dush Ershim last year, and Rubicon the year before on 33s or 255/85/16s on my Range Rover Classic. No side wall or tire damage on both trips. Soft compound gripped rocks like gloves aired down to 12-15 psi.

Also held well on set of steel Wolf rims, and no issues with tires coming off the rims.

Does well in mud and snow as well; here's a trip to the snow last year (vid my buddy took following me - jump to 7:40 showing how the KM2s did on mushy snow).

We're the 2nd group of vehicle on this trail; not icy; soft snow. Road is not maintained by Caltrans during winter, and enroute to the start of the Bald Mtn Trail near Shaver. Trail received about 2" of new snow fall the night before on existing snow trail.

Anyways, vehicle behind me got stuck on the same mushy spot, and I ended up reversing, and give him a pull. I think running AT tires. I didn't have chains on; just KM2s and a set of Maxtrax on the roof (which I didn't use) just in case: http://picasaweb.google.com/rovrflo2010/ShaverLaker2010#5441514790551490898

Ronct110

Adventurer
Most reports of the KM2s I have heard say they are downright scary in hardpack snow, unless siped.

I see that; was driving on hardpack snow and icy road last month up in Lake Tahoe (higly used road to a popular ski resort), going about 20-25 mph, and then tried to stop (tapping and then 1/2 way braking - not slamming) when an idiot cut infront of me. Started to slide a lil on the KM2s. Managed to avoid hitting the car that cut infront of me w/good stirring work.

I took the transfer case out of 4wheel lock (50/50 power split), and into open and let traction control do its work (I also have KM2s on my 2004 DII). Used the brakes less and more down shifting the auto tranny from 3 to 2/1 when I needed to slow down. Wasn't scacry anymore.

I don't recall this exp on the same icy/hard packed snow road with somewhat sudden stops on the prev stock Michelin all-season tires that came with the DII (now running KM2s). Suppose can't have everying in one tire(s).

Last edited:

01tundra

Explorer
I've ran them both and I'm currently running KM2's.

Toyo's rode great, good off-road, tough side wall, very heavy tires.

KM2's ride great, good off-road, not as tough of side wall, nowhere close to the weight of the Toyo's.

I give a slight nod to the KM2's overall (and I must have "special" KM2's, because mine do great in the snow......)

And as far as I know, all KM2's are siped, Krawlers are not ;).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater