BFG MT's in snow and ice

IPA

Observer
Bought my JKU new back in Sept, and it came with the OEM BFG MT's that all the Rubicons have:

tires.jpg

I thought several times about replacing the MT's with KO2's, thinking maybe I'd get a mpg or so better and longer tread life with the lower rolling resistance. I'd had BFG AT's before and loved them. They are great on the highway, adequately aggressive for the style of off-roading that I do, quiet, and last a long time.

The other reason I wanted to switch from the MT's was because I thought they'd be awful in the snow and ice. I always heard and read that mud tires generally are, and it makes sense to me.....those big wide lugs look like they'd skid nicely over cold, slippery surfaces.

Anyway, I just took the Jeep out to play in the snow for the first time. We got a couple inches of snow and ice over night and the roads are pretty messy.

I have to say......the MT's actually seemed to do excellent. I'm sure they wouldn't be as good on smoother, just-ice surfaces, but in this couple inches of crunchy, frozen snow and ice we have right now, I was quite impressed.

Any thoughts?

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
My KM2's are great on snowy roads. No tire will ever compare to a dedicated snow/ice tire (especially if it's studded) but I've been on these BFGs through 3 New England winters now and never once have the tires made me feel unsafe or caused me to slip/lose control.

p nut

butter
The KM2's were ok in the winter, but for me, the KO's were a much much better (packed) snow tire. I got slippery and sideways with the KM2's where the KO's tracked straight.

If nothing else, I would at least have them siped. I believe most tire shops will do this for a nominal fee.

Clutch

<---Pass
Depends on the area you live, SE with occasional snow you guys get, you should be fine. Here in Idaho, need a dedicated snow tire. I can get by without them here in the valley...but if I head to the ski resorts, it is nice to have them.

My AT's do "ok"...which are a lot better than my MT's...dedicated snow tire with studs is like driving on velcro comparatively.

IPA

Observer
I've never had real snow tires, even when I lived western NY and then Alaska, I got by fine on AT's.

Clutch

<---Pass
I've never had real snow tires, even when I lived western NY and then Alaska, I got by fine on AT's.

I didn't when I lived in PA, but they salted the roads there. Here, they kinda plow the roads if you're lucky, we get quite a bit of black ice, lotsa thawing and freezing over night. My AT's are "ok"...it is getting them stopped on ice is the issue...studded snow tires take care of that.

p nut

butter
Man, I wish we didn't use salt here (Utah). That crap gets all over the car. I'd happily buy a second set of studded tires in exchange.

Clutch

<---Pass
Man, I wish we didn't use salt here (Utah). That crap gets all over the car. I'd happily buy a second set of studded tires in exchange.

We use grit mainly...I have seen some de-icing on bridges and major roadways, no exactly sure what is..it isn't salt. Still go wash the truck after things dry out.

Unlike PA with winter road maintenance, it is kinda every man for themselves here. Last year was a mess, the road department caught a lot of heat for dropping the ball.

We got 7" in the valley...not much I know, however they didn't plow it...it turned to ice, roads were solid rutted sheets of ice for a couple weeks. IIRC something like 600 accidents happened.

http://www.ktvb.com/story/news/local/2014/11/19/achd-snow-plow-backlash/19300177/

This year wasn't as bad as last, seem like we got a lot of heavy fog, then it would turn ice...I couldn't even stand up on our sloped driveway without having to hold on to something...almost need those studded things for my running shoes! :D

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
MT's and AT's can perform good enough in the snow but they will not perform well on ice.

I'm driving cross-Canada now on BFG MTs and I agree with this.

Deep snow they are awesome. Hard pack/ice they are not good.

As long as I'm careful it will be fine, but I certainly wouldn't want to live an entire winter with them

-Dan

photo nomad

Adventurer
You may want to try the newer more aggressive AT tires like the GY Duratracs and the BFG KO2's. I believe both come with a better rating on snow and ice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
Put KO2s or any other "Three Peak Mountain Snow Flake" tire on your Jeep and you'll be amazed at how much more traction and control you'll have versus those mud terrains!Alpine_symbol_for_snow_tires.gif

STREGA

Explorer
We use grit mainly...I have seen some de-icing on bridges and major roadways, no exactly sure what is..it isn't salt. Still go wash the truck after things dry out.

It's probably Mag Chloride they use it a lot in Colorado, nasty stuff for sure and you want to wash it off your vehicle ASAP. Siping KM2's helps out in winter conditions otherwise I found them to be dangerous in most snow/ice situations.

RedF

Adventurer
My summer tires are BFG Mud KMs. The first sign of snow or ice, they come off, and Duratracs go on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven