Big Bend Country

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
I love your photographs and descriptions of the quiet and solitude of the Big Bend region of Texas. You hit the nail on the head. For that reason, we moved to Marathon about 5 years ago! Hope you spent a few minutes in Marathon on your way to the park. I backpack in BBNP or in BBRSP at least once a month, and still can't get enough of it. Been going here since 1970. I am currently working on a coffee table book and a guide book to the region, in the early stages. One of the great treasures of the region is its people, or I should say, "characters." Be sure to spend some time sitting on a front porch talking to some locals next time you're there. You might be talking to an archeologist, or maybe to a concert violinist, or maybe an artist, or just as easily a prospector. You won't know until you strike up a conversation.
Thanks for all your kind words about our little corner of the less-traveled world. Let me know if you come back down. I have a fairly well-equipped TJ Jeep that spends a lot of time in the backcountry down here. Just might join you.
Happy Trails. Flashdude.

Awesome. We will definitely be back as soon as we can.

Yes. The people are also a treasure of the area. Our friends in Terlingua tell us about the "characters" as you said. Funny, because when we were there we talked about that. I think the best way we could describe it is "The people here were either born here or found their way here." Maybe you can understand the meaning better then most.

Thanks for the kind words, and I'l definitely send you a PM the next time I plan a trip down there! :)

wngrog

Adventurer
My thoughts while at Big Bend:

Big Bend feels like the end of the world. It is so far away from anything. It is a back country camper’s paradise. It is so quiet, you can hear yourself think. It has been nice to be alone with my thoughts. It gives me time to reflect on things. The majesty of Big Bend country is humbling, making man’s achievements seem miniscule in comparison. I look out over canyons millions of years in the making and wish that we had that kind of time; time enough to pay attention to all the little details; time enough to really enjoy where we are instead of planning out where we want to be. This is why I travel to the back country. There is a quote in Lost Canadian’s (ExPo member) signature line that speaks of the quiet country being his cathedral, where he goes to get a sense of what life is like when it is left alone. I couldn’t agree more.

Alas, our time here is growing short. Tomorrow we will depart this land of natural wonders, headed back home to our lives. I will miss this place. It has secured its own place in my heart. I look forward to returning here in the future. Big Bend is timeless. I’m sure that when I return, it will be just where I left it.

It will be an honor to help others experience the peace and solitude that the wilderness has to offer. I look forward to guiding and helping Overland travellers experience what I feel is so important. Our style of vehicle dependent travel is ideal for the diverse, scenic, and historically rich region in which we live. I encourage folks to slow everything down and enjoy what this region has to offer. Life is better when you are not in a hurry. We are Overlanders… it’s the journey, not the destination.

Thanks for reading,

Leary

You really summed up my thoughts on Big Bend right here. I am simply awed by the place. Mystical.

I have spent a lot of time in the National Park and am dying to get to the State Park next trip.

Thanks for sharing. Great pictures and writeup.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Great pictures Leary!

One day we hope to go check out the Big Bend area ourselves. Bummer about the A/C compressor. Those things happen to all rigs sooner or later.

Tacostan

Thanks for all the kind words, gentlemen. It really helps me stay motivated to write these trip reports when there is so much positive feedback. :victory:

We will be taking another scheduled trip out there next winter, but there may be a spur of the moment trip out there before that.

Mike, that was a great trip report. I can't wait to get back out before the summer heat. Maybe in April or May. You will have to try and check out the El Solitario I think it is called, a collapsed volcanic dome next time, it is pretty cool. Again, thanks for the great report.

Stan

Excellent adventure report! You've given me another great place to add to the list for future exploring. Nice rigs you have as well.
Thanks for sharing! Steve

Brandon###

Great write up!

We visited BB last year and stayed at camp De Leon as well. We got freaked out because we think we heard foot steps around our camp at night. I too quickly assumed drug smugglers and kept looking around with the spot light and the Sig:ar15:.

In hindsight I think it was just the tent making noise. The wind felt like it gust up to 50mph that night. I was surprised we didn't get blown away.

Strizzo

Explorer
Great write up!

We visited BB last year and stayed at camp De Leon as well. We got freaked out because we think we heard foot steps around our camp at night. I too quickly assumed drug smugglers and kept looking around with the spot light and the Sig:ar15:.

In hindsight I think it was just the tent making noise. The wind felt like it gust up to 50mph that night. I was surprised we didn't get blown away.
wouldn't be suprising, we saw people moving "stuff" across the river and getting picked up by vehicles in the RGV campground over labor day. i even ran across two guys on burros near the restrooms when i got up in the middle of the night.

scarysharkface

Explorer
I don't think there's anything worth worrying about in BiBe, especially now that they're reopening the Boquillas Crossing and building a new facility. I think the BP keeps a pretty good eye on things there, and it's far enough off the beaten path on both sides of the border to not attract any riffraff, imho..

Javelinas are everywhere and will sniff-out stuff around your tent while you're in it.

Of course, I'd be inclined to pack when out and about just because over the years the mountain lions have been known to attack people..

Love it there.

John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
__kmg__