Big Bend Ranch State Park 2 - Guale 2 Campsite - Trip Report

carrelc

Like Yotapilot, we too had planned to visit Big Bend National Park but were forced to call an audible when we saw the defense presented by our National Government. Turns out it made for a better off-road experience and good scenery. The National Park is more picturesque.

We left Friday morning from Dallas and made our way to Monahans Sand Hills so the kids could spend some time in the sand dunes. From there we made our way to Presidio to top off fuel and supplies. We weren't sure what to expect in terms of off-road difficulty, the State Park publishes a pamphlet called Roads to Nowhere which made it seem like the terrain could be quite challenging for our vehicles. I run a 2012 FJ fully outfitted with ARB's suspension and touring gear. My friend runs a customized Ford F350 van purpose-built for sustained expeditions. Neither of us had any real problems. I picked up screw in a tire that caused a slow leak that was easily handled with occasional use of the air compressor and my friend had to build up a ramp to exit the campsite; but that was because his vehicle weighs 11,000 pounds. We got better fuel economy in the park than we did getting there. Our biggest concern was weather or not we would have enough fuel to get in and out with the fuel we could carry. It was 37 miles in and 37 miles out from Presidio which was the last fuel stop and the trip is roughly 4 hours each way. I got in and out on a half tank and didn't need any of the 20 extra gallons I carried on the roof.

We were cautioned by the Rangers to be careful if we suspected rain and not try to attempt to cross wash outs if water may be coming. There's a video posted on the BBRSP website from September by a guy who claims he had crossed a dry creek-bed minutes before and the video is showing raging 5 foot deep water.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=703027659711916&set=vb.149514331729921&type=2&theater

The only unpleasant part of the trip was the wind and Guale 2. Starting around 9:00pm, the wind picked up and kept blowing until 6:00am the next morning. I estimate the winds were between 20 and 30 mph sustained. It wasn't dangerous but it was very noisy in a tent and prevented us from sleeping. We meant to ask the Rangers if that was unusual. If you go to Guale 2, think twice about setting your tent up at the furthest campsite, it happens to be the flattest.

I laughed when I saw Yotapilot's post because he followed us in for a few miles. We went a bit slower than him because of the weight of the Ford van.

It's a great place to visit, but I would recommend the National Park if you're more interested in the scenery, and the State Park if you're more into the off roading aspect. I've attached a few photos and a link to my website.

www.swanroberts.com/BBRSP

http://swanroberts.com/GhostTown/

Attachments

• BBRSP 4x4 Camping Trip 2013 Guale 2 Campsite Sunset Panorama.jpg
    BBRSP 4x4 Camping Trip 2013 Guale 2 Campsite Sunset Panorama.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 61

LakeLBJ

Observer
Great photos, thanks for sharing. Need to make a trip out there. What's the deal with the renovated travel trailer? Is that something you can rent to stay in?

YotaPilot

Adventurer
Cool pics. Your photography skills are far superior to mine. I'm jealous you saw a tarantula. That is the one creature I really wanted to see but didn't.

I too had a couple of windy nights. Thursday night at Las Burras 3, the wind kept us up in the middle of the night for about an hour. And on Saturday night, about an hour after the sun went down, the wind picked up quite a bit and made it difficult to fall asleep with then tent sides flapping.

carrelc

Cool pics. Your photography skills are far superior to mine. I'm jealous you saw a tarantula. That is the one creature I really wanted to see but didn't.

I too had a couple of windy nights. Thursday night at Las Burras 3, the wind kept us up in the middle of the night for about an hour. And on Saturday night, about an hour after the sun went down, the wind picked up quite a bit and made it difficult to fall asleep with then tent sides flapping.

Sorry to hear you didn't get much sleep either. I wonder if that's the norm or unusual. Wind usually dies down at night unless there's a storm. Are you planning any other trips in the area?

carrelc

Great photos, thanks for sharing. Need to make a trip out there. What's the deal with the renovated travel trailer? Is that something you can rent to stay in?

It's a cool little campground in Marfa. After a few days without showers, the girls and kids were complaining so we stopped in there on the way back to Dallas. They rent furnished Teepees but they were booked. Great if you have kids. It's called El Cosmico

YotaPilot

Adventurer
Sorry to hear you didn't get much sleep either. I wonder if that's the norm or unusual. Wind usually dies down at night unless there's a storm. Are you planning any other trips in the area?

Nothing planned right now. Hopefully a trip to the National Park this winter.

jruba

Adventurer
It's a cool little campground in Marfa. After a few days without showers, the girls and kids were complaining so we stopped in there on the way back to Dallas. They rent furnished Teepees but they were booked. Great if you have kids. It's called El Cosmico

Time to get a portable shower maybe ? ... awsome trip man , thanks for sharing those beautyfull pics .

Im on South texas and this is a trip i would like to make in the near future , i enoyed yotapilot's trip aswell , thanks ..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kabobkabobkabob