Big Dave's M416 Build

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
I keep forgetting to take pics of the latches and hinges for you guys, sorry.

I did order up some gas springs from McMaster-Carr today though, plan to get that all situated next weekend as we get ready for our week-long Ouray trip that we leave for 2 weeks from today. My wife also ordered up some sleeping pad thingie for the tent too to make it more comfy, haven't tested that out yet. The pad in the tent isn't that bad for me, but there's not quite enough cushion for her tastes.

hey dave do you have a build thread on your GC? i want to see how you did the cut on the back. im gettin ready to do somehtin sim on mine and wantin to do a hmmwv slant back style.

TacoDell

Adventurer

I can help out with detail pics of the hinges... :)

6" hinge...

IMG_0067.jpg

IMG_0068.jpg

IMG_0069.jpg

IMG_0070.jpg

IMG_0071.jpg

IMG_0072.jpg

1/2" bolt...

IMG_0081.jpg

the breakdown...

IMG_0073.jpg

grease seal inserts...

IMG_0074.jpg

IMG_0076.jpg

near how they'll look, set for my build... they'll be moved up about 1/2" higher then in the picture... as the lid and hinge(s) will be raised slightly to make room for the lid's seal. That's not the mounting location of the hinges in these pictures either... was just for a visual.

IMG_0077.jpg

IMG_0079.jpg

TacoDell

Adventurer
My hinge setup is pretty similar, except mine are inverted compared to yours TacoDell.

Haven't set 'em yet...

is there any specific reason you chose to invert them in comparison to where I was heading ?

Does it make it easier to lift with the hinge point lower ?

I notice you have an drip rail extending down along all four sides of the lid...
was thinking of the movement, with the hinges upright... might cause interference with that... when closing... with the hinges at the lower point... would seem to lift up and away more so and clear those drip rails when opening and closing ?

think you could post up some more detail pics of your hinge install ?
Maybe I'll rethink things if I can see how yours work.

thanks.

Last edited:

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
I notice you have an drip rail extending down along all four sides of the lid...
was thinking of the movement, with the hinges upright... might cause interference with that... when closing... with the hinges at the lower point... would seem to lift up and away more so and clear those drip rails when opening and closing ?

Yup, that's why I did it. Not sure it made an actual difference, but it works. I'll try to grab some pics next time I'm out there.

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
Crappy cell pic of the hinge setup.

The tub side mount is made of some 2x2 and 1.5x1.5 angle I had laying around. The gap between the tongue portion of the lid side is filled with random plate I had around cut to size and ground down to be at least somewhat smooth.

40844_481333823367_585188367_6661707_951429_n.jpg

TacoDell

Adventurer
Crappy cell pic of the hinge setup.

The tub side mount is made of some 2x2 and 1.5x1.5 angle I had laying around. The gap between the tongue portion of the lid side is filled with random plate I had around cut to size and ground down to be at least somewhat smooth.

40844_481333823367_585188367_6661707_951429_n.jpg

What if I told you...
that I found optional steel insert bushings for these hinges ?
They are offered by the original distributor as an optional bushing in replacement of the original nylon units.

Would you have an interest of these steel bushings ?

I'm currently waiting for a reply, as to whether or not I might be able to purchase/obtain additional nylon bushings or even the optional steel bushings thru' this distributor.

Unfortunately they do not normally sell to the public... so I am waiting to see what they will be able to do for me.

Once I have a response... and if you might have an interest...

I could forward this information on to you, if you would like ?

jeepersjeep

He loves Jeep!

I did order up some gas springs from McMaster-Carr today though, plan to get that all situated next weekend as we get ready for our week-long Ouray trip that we leave for 2 weeks from today. My wife also ordered up some sleeping pad thingie for the tent too to make it more comfy, haven't tested that out yet. The pad in the tent isn't that bad for me, but there's not quite enough cushion for her tastes.

Do you have any spec's on the gas springs? I'm trying to figure this out for my trailer.
Thanks

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
Originally ordered 2x 175lb springs and those helped, but weren't quite enough. Bumped it up to 2x 225lb springs and they work well when the tent is deployed by not quite enough when the tent is packed up.

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
Outside of the ZJ getting a little warm pulling the trailer, it did great on our trip this last week. Here's a shot of it coming down Imogene Pass towards the Camp Bird area.

40535_486820838367_585188367_6792948_6147067_n.jpg

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
So my M416 has been sitting in the weeds in my backyard for the last few years. I think we've spent one night in it in the last 3-4 years. That needs to change. We still have the ZJ, but picked up a JKU last week that will eventually replace the ZJ. I need to pull the M416 out of the weeds and some point here soon and get to work on it so the JK can pull it. I'm thinking I will fab up a new frame for it, with an adjustable length tongue and then repaint it to match the JKU. Our JKU is the tank color, and I think that would look super cool on the M416. Also will start looking for matching wheels/tires for the M416 and really hope to be able to get this thing out more often.

Last edited:

Ted_Z

Adventurer
We still have the ZJ, but picked up a JKU last week that will eventually replace the JK. I need to pull the M416 out of the weeds and some point here soon and get to work on it so the JK can pull it.

Dave is that a typo or do you have a JK and a JKU now?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven