"Big Dirty Green" - 1998 E350 Club Wagon Build

Bigdirtygreen

Hi, I'm Rick, new member, but I've been lurking and stalking many of you for over a year as @ricusmortis on Instagram. I thought I'd post an intro to myself, my family, and our van project. I hope you like to read! Just about no one will listen to us and our van stories which has been frustrating. So writing this has been cathartic for me. I will likely expand on this intro post with some of my characteric sarcasm and crude humor in my first blog entry when I get time for that - someday. I've been dreaming of getting into vanlife full time for quite a while. I'm permanently disabled with a degenerative autoimmune musculoskeletal disease and wasn't sure if I'd ever make my dream a reality.

If you are a Mötley Crüe fan (a recent Netflix film shed more light on this), I have the same disease as Mick Mars, Ankylosing Spondylitis, and a nasty case of it. I won't bore you here with all the details of my disability. Although, if you are interested in that sort of thing, there's a lengthy blog bio linked in my profile here and on Instagram. I'll be sure to start a post in the disabled explorers thread as well. The reason I mention my disability first is because it is the primary reason that I not only wanted, but NEEDED to get into a van sooner, rather than later.

When I became disabled in 2011 and lost my job, home, sense of self, etc, and went thru all the misery that goes along with the Social Security Disability denial/approval process, I became pretty depressed. My wife, Jess, and I ended up moving to Phoenix from Michigan after her parents offered us a place to stay so we could start all over.

A few years after settling here, I discovered mountains, hiking, and off-roading in the desert southwest. Hiking literally saved my life. It simultaneously aided me in tremendous wait loss and improved physical conditioning, while improving my outlook on life. I'm not a big peak bagger and I'm not winning any long trail marathons, but I do all right for a dude with a completely fused spine who can't even wipe his own butt.

That last rather crude bit of "TMI" is what makes vanlife necessary for me to continue my lifestyle and maintain my sanity. I have a host of neurogenic degenerative issues because of my fused spine and spinal cord injury including neurogenic bladder and bowel. That essentially means that I cannot predict when I'll have to use the bathroom and I have a lot of difficulty. And as mentioned previously, I need assistance, from my lovely wife or a brief shower.

This means that I spend more time pacing around a condo or sitting on the toilet planning hikes, expeditions, and National Park trips than actually doing anything, ever. I can never seem to get out of the house and make it to the trailhead except for maybe a few hours before sunset. What if... my home was already at the trailhead?... when I had a bad day and had to ditch my plans, I could just explore until my body was treating me better? What if... A van was the answer.

Things got slightly more complex when we had our first child in November of 2017. I thought my dream might not be realized again. My wife, who had put her dream of becoming a nurse on hold when I became disabled, started picking off some nursing classes again, but with the new baby and working full time, it was too difficult and she had to put her plans on hold yet again.

Then my health took a turn for the worse during the last year while being a disabled stay at home dad with very little help. I had overwhelming guilt about the amount of time I spent in the bathroom instead of with my daughter. I did zero hiking. We went on very few trips anywhere. We were all going insane. Something had to give.

Then one day, my wife called me from work and said, "can I quit this **** hole"? I couldn't have been happier. I had done the math tons of times and told her that she didn't need to work. My disability pay alone was enough to live in a van comfortably. I was never concerned about the money.

In the last year of being home alone with my newborn daughter, I discovered that living in a van with a family was possible and it appealed to me a lot. I read everything I could find about world schooling and unschooling and found that I was already practicing this with my daughter, Raven.

I am unable thus far to convince any of our family and few of our friends that we are doing right by our daughter, but I'm guessing I'll find similar thinking minds in this group. I can't think of a better way to teach my child than to actually go to all the historic sites, visit all the National Parks, see all the States, explore every mountain and river, talk to all the people, eat all the different foods, experience all the different cultures, learn about off-grid living, learn about maintaining a vehicle yourself, etc. I'm really excited about this!

So it was decided in November 2018. My wife quit her lousy retail job. We started looking at what we could afford with our small budget of $13K from a 401K loan to start. We will add more money to the budget as we sell all of our belongings from a 3 bedroom condo and two other vehicles. We also plan to move out asap to avoid costly Phoenix summer utilities. We will likely be living with my wife's parents temporarily while we build the van as we can't build in our condo carport.

I started hounding Chris at UJOR on an almost daily basis for advice while I shopped for the perfect van. We knew we wanted an extended E-350. We preferred a cargo, but knew a passenger might be easier to find and the easier route for insurance as a lot of the cargos were titled commercial. I searched forever for a 7.3 until I finally decided that the diesel maintenance cost and my complete lack of diesel knowledge made the 6.8 V-10 gas a better option. I wasn't planning to tow nor travel long distances in one shot so mpgs were not a concern. I just needed plenty of torque for the 4 x 4 conversion later.

Our ideal van was a 2005 to 2007 V-10 with the 5R110 and no RSC, but none could be grabbed. We had at least three of them get bought before we could even make the call. We test drove one of those super low mileage 2008 Homeland V-10 cargos that can be found in San Diego, Tucson, Florida, Washington, and occasionally and few other places. They all look the same. Disconnected rooftop AC units. Wires cut from all the inverters. Disconnected engine hour meter. You remove the doghouse, and the valve covers and intake manifold look roasted like it has 300,000 miles on it, not the 18,000 shown on the odometer. We did a lot of research on these Homeland vans and decided against them for a number of reasons. I can go into detail if anyone is curious.

After failing repeatedly to find a van under 60,000 miles and under $10K, we decided that we'd probably need to start looking at cheaper, dirtier vans that might need some work as it seemed like every one ton van in the country was starting to accumulate on the UJOR lot. We also decided that we might end up needing to travel across the country to find one. We started looking at the $5000 single owner market and found our van within a few weeks.

I found it online on at the end of February via one of the popular listing sites. I called the Ford dealership that was selling it the instant the listing went up. It was so new that they didn't even have pictures yet. I didn't care. I'd already had several vans bought out from under me without pics. This one was an extended length V-10 with 99K on the odometer, so I made a deposit site unseen.

After a few hours of haggling, some phone calls, and picture swapping, Big Dirty Green was ours! We just needed to find a way to go get her south of Nashville, Tennessee. I had a lot of anxiety buying a vehicle site unseen as I've never done this before, but buying from the same Ford dealership that originally sold this van to the church, serviced it for most of its life (it was a fleet vehicle in Vegas for its first 25K), and then bought it back, settled some of my anxiety. I was assured service records at least this way and had a legit looking Car Fax to match.
508915 508916

508982 508931

508932 508983

The only thing I didn't like about the van was the roof rust, but I was planning to put a Fiberine 24 inch top on it immediately so I used that to negotiate $700 off the deal and dropped our price to $4300. For that price, I didn't really care what was wrong it as long as the body and frame were fine. We now have a lot of extra budget to make everything better than new.

So in early March, after waiting out a few coast to coast winter storms along the I-40 corridor, we rented a minivan, loaded up the whole family, and headed east to get our van. This was our daughter's first long road trip and she did really well! It took us a little over 3 days to get to the dealership staying at dirty motels (can't wait to just stay in the van).

508985 508986

In my next update, we pick up the van!

Bigdirtygreen

We arrived at the dealership right before closing and the sales experience didn't go as well as I would have liked, mostly just due to poor customer service and a very young sales person. The van has a bit more frame rust than I cared for, but it wasn't a deal breaker for just over $4000. It test drove well and I had already talked to the previous owner.

The salesman and the dealership magically lost all the service records they promised me even though they were the ones that serviced it for the last 15 years. Apparently, the dealership just changed owners and the old one kept paper service records. They are allegedly still trying to find them for me. I won't hold my breath. I was well aware that I was buying an "as is" vehicle that needed some work, so assumed the risk knowing I'm doing all the 100,000 mile work on it anyways and then some.

We left the dealership with the van and found a local Walmart parking lot to do some late night dirty van swapping. We loaded all of our luggage and my daughter into Big Dirty Green and I followed my wife to Nashville airport to return the rental van. We got a nicer hotel for the night with plans to hit O'Reilly, Discount Tire, Walmart, and someplace for an oil change and possibly tranny fluid change the next day before hitting the road.

The next day on the way for supplies, she threw a misfire cylinder #2 code. Dammit... Call to dealer fell on deaf ears. Bit the bullet and took her to the nearest Ford dealership. She had a misfire on #7 by the time I got her in there. Ended up needing coils and plugs for #2 and #7. In retrospect, I kick myself for not just having them change the other eight as well since I was already paying the labor, but I wasn't thinking straight that day. Now, I'll need to get the rest done soon.

508990 508991

With the misfire resolved, we finished our shopping and topped off of all the fluids, finding everything a little low. I threw some HEET in my first tank of gas since she's a little rusty and it had been pouring/flooding in Tennessee for a while. Tranny fluid looked to be around an inch over the plastic in the dipstick, so I was leary about driving very far yet. There didn't seem to be any shift issues though. First to second can be a bit hard, but I'm assuming with no weight, the first gear of the 4R100 might just act like that? Regardless, I'd want a fluid exchange and eval very soon. Found the diff to have a slight leak from the front seal, so that needs a reseal too. Hoping to find one shop that can look at diff, tranny, and my rusty driveshaft. From my VIN, this van has a 3.73 full slip Dana 60 in it. I have a bus (not school bus) VIN so I'm not sure if that means I have heavier springs as well.

It was a Saturday when we were scrambling for fluids, tires, and Ford Service for the plugs. I barely made it to Discount Tire at closing and they were ind enough to make sure we got tires on the van since we needed to hit the road asap having been there for 3 days so far. I knew I wanted BF Goodrich KO2s on it. I have those on all my vehicles, even my 2wd Escape. Luckily, BF Goodrich had a 2-day sale ending that day. Unfortunately, no Discount Tire had them in 245/75 16's or 275/75 16's, the alternate tire per the manual. They did have 265/75 16's though, but that's a wider tire. I would need to trim bumper plastic and lose a running board. Done. She still barely rubs on the fender welting on the driver side occasionally on a hard turn in bump, but doesn't hit the wheel well at all. Not sure if these will work long term or not.

508993 508994

508995 508996

In my next update: Finally going home?!?

Bigdirtygreen

We were unable to get an oil change before business hours that day, so delayed departure for home one more day. Sunday, we took on the massive task of finding a transmission shop and/or service shop anywhere to do oil change and general inspection before we hit the highway. After probably twenty calls, we found one Firestone willing to help us, if we waited there all day long. We again, waited until closing and then had to convince one employee to stay and work on our van. Side note: Having an infant/toddler with you and a van story makes convincing people to help you a lot easier!

She got a full synthetic oil change at Firestone and the tech let me get under the van with him to inspect it. We yanked on everything and looked it over good for the first time. Looked more than capable of the drive home and pretty well maintained. Likely needs u-joints, ball joints, tie rod bushings, sway bar bushings, all the usual 100K mile stuff, but nothing was really bad at all. Just a little play. Tranny looks as clean as can be. Moderate rust on the axle. Rusted shocks. Rusty driveshaft. More rust than I'd like on the exhaust manifold studs and nuts. Aside from that, she's very worthy!

No tranny shops could be found so we hit the road with reassurance from the Firestone tech that one inch above the dipstick full isn't that bad on the tranny fluid level and that the fluid looked good.

She drove like a dream all the way home. Just a little wiggle up front, I'm guessing from those worn or needing to be greased tie rod end bushings and/or the ball joints. I was surprised at how well it kept in the lane on the freeway when a semi goes sailing by you in rain and snow. She's a heavy beast and feels so steady on the wider KO2's!

We even encountered the typical high wind warnings coming up the Continental Divide through New Mexico and then blinding snow fog, snow, and wind coming down the Mogollon Rim in Arizona. I had the white knuckle death grip, but Big Dirty Green was steady and led a caravan of 18 wheelers down the Rim in blinding snow.

She's home safe and sound now and it's time to get to work! We've got big plans for Big Dirty Green. She won't be a turn key rig because our budget will be slow and steady coming in, but I'm hoping for completion within two years. A lot will be DIY, but at first I'll need professionals to do some of the initial work. Finding referrals in a huge city like Phoenix can be difficult if you've never needed a truck or 4wd mechanic. I've been to several transmission shops already that turned me away citing they served the "grocery getter city folks" and that I would be better served by a specialty shop. Hoping this forum will point me in the right direction.

I'd love mechanics, tranny, axle shops that are smaller and that might let me source my own parts and watch or participate in some of the work so that I'll know the best techniques for doing the work in the future, off-grid if need be. I want to know how to repair almost everything on our van. I grew up helping my dad restore classic cars, so I'm mechanically inclined already. I know it just helps knowing the tricks for each vehicle. And I have zero experience with one ton trucks. I've owned nothing but Fords for 30 years so that helps.

The build plan: After I replace, clean, and/or upgrade everything that I can think of, we plan to put on a 24" Fiberine top and eventually a UJOR 6" kit. The van currently has the E4OD/4R100 and 3.73 full slip Dana 60 with the drums. I want to swap to disc in the rear so I'll be looking for another Dana 60 or a Sterling 10.5. I'm looking to the group members for advice on the better axle. I'll be rolling on 35's and the original axle is 3.73 for this tranny, so new gear ratio will need to be 4.56 I believe with my current transmission. I'm not sure if changing the ring and pinion is something the DIY mechanic with no axle experience can do. I'd sure love to restore my own axles if I think I'm able to and give them the OCD treatment.

My roof is rusted and the gutters leak a little so I've got work to do before the top goes on and I've already been in contact with Fiberine regarding what needs to be done. Knew this going in. It's why the van was just a little over $4000! I'm not sure how much of the gutters I can tackle myself and how much I'll need to leave to a body shop. I'm not messing with the A-pillars and windshield seal, that's for sure. Aside from the roof and one rear cargo door dent, the body is flawless aside from a couple minor dings and needing new paint. We plan to keep her the same green with matte black or gray bumpers, racks, flares, wheels, and rockers. She'll be a forest chameleon among the Pines.

At the moment, I'm looking for any and all referrals in the East Valley Phoenix area. Tranny, Axle, Body shops are of immediate concern. Would love a referral for an honest mechanic who knows these vans in and out. Want a compression check and flexible camera of my heads. I want to know how much life she has in her before I mash that peddle off road.

My wife, Jess (@raynedelay and @jruthphoto on Instagram), is in charge of the interior build. Maybe, she'll post on here with her plans later. I'm in charge of wiring and solar though, but haven't quite researched that fully yet. I'm hoping to be able to afford LiFePO4 batteries, a 24 volt system, and as much solar as I can put on our roof because my wife wants a fridge, freezer, water pump, hot water, electric stove top, microwave/convection oven, and RV AC unit (final luxury dream item). Looking into high output alternators and dual frame mount batteries too.

509001 509002

509003 509006

I've done a few things already like cleaning up all the wiring on the battery and starter relay and putting new cable ends on, restoring the battery tray and its rusty mounts to factory new, fixing the old econoline vacuum leak with a relocated vaccum reservoir (I have AC!), and am slowly cleaning, painting, or replacing every rusty part or bolt that I find. We. Can. Build. Her. Better.

509005 509004

I'll post up pics when I get a few minutes, of the roof, undercarriage, and my vacuum repair job (it's better than the YouTube fixes). Currently working on cleaning up rusty lower dash supports since I had them off anyways. Probably not necessary, but I hate rust! The van is @bigdirtygreen on Instagram!

*editors note (made by Jess) - "I" in most cases is really us/we.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk