Big Sur - Prewitt Ridge

Navman

Adventurer
I finally made it. I've been trying to get down there for a while and finally had some time to make a scouting trip. What an amazing place! The views from the few campsites at 3200 ft. are spectacular.

My 8 yr old son and I first drove Old Coast Road on the way down and made Prewitt by early afternoon. The rain held off and it was a great day so we decided to stay for the night. The stars were out and no wind at all. Woke up early to heavy rain and left at first light as planned.

This would be a great destination for an Adv bike. 7 miles of non-stop twisties from highway 1 and then 5 miles of dirt.

Here are a few snapshots. The first is from Old Coast Road and the rest from 3 different capsites on Prewitt. I'll work on uploading and providing a link to the rest of the pictures.

IMG_0648_edited-1.jpg

IMG_0659_edited-1.jpg

IMG_0687_edited-1.jpg

IMG_0682_edited-1.jpg

dustboy

Explorer
Were you there this weekend? Such an awesome spot. I was planning to head down there too, but my buddies flaked on me. Anyway it's for the best since I came down with a mean cold on Friday night, that wouldn't have been fun in the rain.

How was Old Coast Road? Was there anybody else at Prewitt?

Navman

Adventurer
Were you there this weekend? Such an awesome spot. I was planning to head down there too, but my buddies flaked on me. Anyway it's for the best since I came down with a mean cold on Friday night, that wouldn't have been fun in the rain.

How was Old Coast Road? Was there anybody else at Prewitt?

Yep, went down Saturday and left Sunday morning in the rain. Old Coast is a nice detour but not a challenging drive. There is one loose, rocky, steep hill but that's it. It's one of those things you do once and it's enough. As we were close to leaving Old Coast 3 cars were going the other direction so that gives you an idea of the condition.

There were 2 guys at the first campsite for a couple of hours playing with a spud launcher but they left and there were 2 other guys camping for the long weekend. That is their cooler in the one picture. THey seemed well prepared for the rain and I'm sure they had the place to themselves after we left.

Cambo

Adventurer
I was there this weekend also. Went to Point Lobos Reserve, some awesome short hikes with even better views, and then went on to Pfeiffer State park. Had a nice mile long hike in the rain to a small waterfall there. Also had a killer chicken sandwich at the lodge.

Whereabouts is Prewitt Ridge??

SLOwag

Adventurer
Some sobering news (older gentleman lost in this area Dec 23rd)

I hate to drop this news on this thread but it seems there were quite a few Expo people in the area shortly after this man went missing and based on how we all seem to look at each others rig maybe one of you saw the '89 Jeep Comanche he was driving.

A link to the most recent local news article is below, his dog wandered to a residence a few days ago and his vehicle was found a little further south of where most of you were spending time...but you never know. If you encountered this man, his jeep or dog, you could have some information that would be helpful. I believe the dog was a black lab, I don't recall the color of the Jeep.

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/news/local/story/1003746.html

And some older articles.
http://www.sanluisobispo.com/news/local/breaking_news/story/1002984.html?storylink=pluck_commented
http://www.sanluisobispo.com/news/local/breaking_news/story/1001571.html

grobinson

Adventurer
Is it accessible by car? I don't have my wheeling truck out here yet, but have my DD.

Looks like an awesome spot!

Navman

Adventurer
Is it accessible by car? I don't have my wheeling truck out here yet, but have my DD.

Looks like an awesome spot!

Yes, as long as it's dry. I saw a beat up old Civic or similar car (just don't remember but it sounded horrible) past where I was.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk