Birds Of Prey

Starscream

Adventurer
This tread may sink like a rock, but here it goes....

After spending lots of time around raptors and other birds of prey at the wildlife rehab center I volunteer at, I have found a new appreciation for them. If anyone else has any any photos of the birds of prey in their area or from their journeys and would like to post them, I would love to see them added to the tread.

3619362267_766e03113e.jpg

:costumed-smiley-007

bucketosudz

Explorer
Fantastic Pics! I am very envious of your opportunity to volunteer, I would love to be a licensed Falconer someday. Birds of Prey are such a Wonderful part of the Earths Ecosystem. Good on you.:elkgrin:

DarinM

Explorer
This seems like something Chuck (Ursidae69) will be able to contribute to (I hope).

Those are some great pictures. Owls are awesome animals. We had screech owls and barn owls around where I grew up. I remember the first time I heard a screech owl really close. I about dropped a load in my britches.

Thanks for sharing.

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
Why are you calling me out D? :elkgrin:

A couple...

We accidentally caught this coopers hawk in my pigeon trap. The coopers killed the two pigeons in the trap with it. I pulled it out and we let it go. It was a nice juvenile bird of prey.

In the trap:
attachment.php

In the hand:
attachment.php

About to be released:
attachment.php

Harald Hansen

Explorer
Birds of prey are awesome! There's something about the profile and the way they fly that really catches the eye. We'll be tooling around in the Pyrenees next month, one of Europe's last natural habitats for golden eagles, and I hope we'll see some.

Starscream

Adventurer
I wasn't expecting such a great response. I feel very fortunate to be able to work with these birds (as well as a variety of other animals)....it is rewarding to help out animals that otherwise would have died in the wild. Even if they cannot be released, like some of the birds we have, at least they will be safe and taken care of for the rest of their lives.

BTW, Those are some great pictures Chuck.

smkymtns

Adventurer
Wish I could say these were taken out in the boondocks but this was right outside of my office on a college campus. We started to walk across campus at lunch one day and this guy was chowing down right next to a sidewalk. I went back in to the office to get my camera and when I got back there was a crowd of about 20 people watching the feast. Didn't seem to bother the redtail hawk one bit. :sombrero:

3042090305_4e4906197a_o.jpg

3046344435_890dbfbc6e_o.jpg

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
Barred Owl
DrewD_Barred%20Owl%202.tif.jpg

Hey Colorado David, barred owls have dark eyes, this looks like an eastern screech-owl to me.

Here is a barred owl I saw in Olympic NP a few years ago.
attachment.php

These Mexican spotted owls also have dark eyes, this was taken in NM earlier this year. They look similar to barred owls too.
attachment.php

phxtoad

Adventurer
Liberty Wildlife is one of the larger rescue organizations here in AZ. My wife volunteered there for years, and we are still big supporters.

http://www.libertywildlife.org/index.asp

I'll post pics later: Until recently, at work we've had a pair of 'outcast' male Harris hawks living around our building. These two weren't the brightest. They would spend ALL day attacking their reflections in the building's windows. Frequently they'd get stuck in the metal grating that is our second floor balcony. A few times they ended up ripping their own talons out (ouch) trying to free themselves. Beautiful birds, though.

Todd

James86004

Expedition Leader
Saw a pair of Harris Hawks with their dinner on top of the Range Rover one day. The photos with both of them didn't come out well:

PICT3776.JPG

PICT3775-1.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach