Black Bear & Imogene

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Nice shots. That's a great pairing of passes, especially if you detour up into Yankee Boy basin aw well. I need to get back out to the San Juans again one of these summers.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
paulj said:
There was an incident several years ago in which a couple in a rental Jeep went over the side somewhere around the Steps. I didn't see any discussion in the local paper account as to whether they were in low range or not. They probably did not have much experience.

That's almost an annual occurrence on Black Bear. If I'm recalling the same story Paul, they were out of staters (from TX I believe) and in a rental Jeep. Inexperience was listed as the prime candidate for the rolling off the pass. There were some tragic pics floating around the 'net at the time.

I've found good ground clearance and traction (not necessarily a locker, but good rubber) to be the keys to running Black Bear and Imogene safely. Oh, and nerves of steel when passing another vehicle. ;)

durango_60

Explorer
That was actually my fist time on Black Bear and I was overwhelmed with the scenery and underwhelmed with the difficulty level. To repeat what KC said all you need is clearance and decent tires, and a tight turning radius would also help.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
IntrepidXJ said:
...since the narrowest and steepest section of the trail is one-way only, that shouldn't be an issue

It shouldn't be, but some folks like to stop and pee, eat lunch, change a flat and even take photos up there. And they will stop and/or park anywhere they can.

I watched one impatient group try to pass another vehicle with a flat tire above Ingram Creek. When the first vehicle almost slid off the side, trying to go around the truck with the flat, I almost ******** my pants and all I was doing was watching from the back of the line.

Arrogance and impatience almost killed the guy. The rest of his group waited.

3 DOGS

Observer
I plan on heading there in September. I have recently switched to an H3 and I am concerned about the width and the fact I have no mods - yet.
Think a stock H3 (non Adventure) would do ok there? This may sound stupid but as with any new rig you don't know what you can do with it until you try. Bad thing is I don't feel like "learning" that high up. I should be able to hit some lesser trails and routes - to get a feel for how my H3 handles things -before I get there. I'll have a friend with his Jeep too, so if something happens I'll have back-up. Just hoping to get any advice before I get there.

I'd agree with the great pics. I can't wait to get out there.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
3 DOGS said:
H3 and I am concerned about the width and the fact I have no mods

No mods really necessary. Both my 80 and 100 series did them with and without mods and are likely wider tracked than the H3?

IntrepidXJ

Explorer
I don't know what the width of the H3 is, but there was a fallen boulder on Black Bear that our XJ's barely squeezed through. Also there was a section of shelf road at the top of Imogene Pass that was washed out pretty badly....very narrow and off camber....San Miguel County was up there inspecting the damage when we came through.

3 DOGS said:
I plan on heading there in September. I have recently switched to an H3 and I am concerned about the width and the fact I have no mods - yet.
Think a stock H3 (non Adventure) would do ok there? This may sound stupid but as with any new rig you don't know what you can do with it until you try. Bad thing is I don't feel like "learning" that high up. I should be able to hit some lesser trails and routes - to get a feel for how my H3 handles things -before I get there. I'll have a friend with his Jeep too, so if something happens I'll have back-up. Just hoping to get any advice before I get there.

I'd agree with the great pics. I can't wait to get out there.

mrbishi

Adventurer
Incredible scenery, cool rigs and great photography! :cool: I'm jealous as we don't have anywhere like that to wheel over here in West Oz. The switchbacks looks sketchy - I've never really driven anything like that !

Last edited:

3 DOGS

Observer
Thanks for the info. I am just a little nervous and don't want to mess anything up for myself or others while there.
I'll let you all know of any issues when I get back. September can't get here soon enough!!!!

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
pskhaat said:
80...series...are likely wider tracked than the H3?

What do I know, apparently the H3 has a track width about 2" wider than an LC80. Who'd'a thunk?

durango_60

Explorer
IntrepidXJ said:
I don't know what the width of the H3 is, but there was a fallen boulder on Black Bear that our XJ's barely squeezed through. Also there was a section of shelf road at the top of Imogene Pass that was washed out pretty badly....very narrow and off camber....San Miguel County was up there inspecting the damage when we came through.

Yep, I only had a couple of inches to spare on my JK with that boulder, but it was fresh and will most likely be gone when you get there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal