Bottle jack considerations

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I went with this:
DSC02122.jpg

It is a Harbor freight "Race" jack, I made the upper saddle out of 2x6x.120 wall rectangle tube and notched it to fit around mw axle trusses:
DSC02119.jpg

For off road use I found a vendor on Pirate that makes this skid for the bottom:
DSC02200.jpg

DSC02201.jpg

Between this and my HiLift I feel pretty confident about my jacking capabilities. The Harbor freight jack is VERY stable and works well on most surfaces.
My friend uses a Sears version of that jack on his Dodge CTD w/flatbed mounted Phoenix camper. His rig weighs 10,700#. He has mentioned that the rapid gearing of the jack makes for some pretty strenuous usage. That's a nice mount you constructed to accomodate your truss and thanks for the link on the skid.

brian90744

American Trekker
another jack

I have used Torin T11152 Hydraulic Scissor Jack with Case - 1.5 Ton 5" to 16" lift. Home depot used to carry the same jack called "big red"
brian

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: I carry a HiLift/acc and a 12vdc electric jack-no problemo

Bottom of pic, with a block of wood it'll raise the axle over 28"-

040-1.jpg

Easysmeasy

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

1stDeuce

Explorer
That is a sweet skid jack, but I think carrying around a floorjack in your (Non-pickup) vehicle is perhaps a little overkill...

I've had the same "2 Ton" bottle jack that I bought while I was in college for 20 years now. It has been great, lifting everything I've asked it to. I even changed the fluid once! It will jack up one front wheel on my duramax without issue. You def don't need heavier jack than that on a little LR. :) Do carry something to put under it in softer terrain, and understand that most jacks are not terribly stable. (IE, they need the parking brake set, wheels chocked, etc. to keep the truck from rolling/tipping off the jack.) I even used my little jack to get unstuck from some muddy ruts once when I accidentally left my hi-lift at home! (Not recommended...)

As for junkyard jacks, you might also look into the screw-type bottle jack that has come in every XJ and TJ since the beginning of time. They are simple, compact, don't leak, and have a really good lifting range! They do NOT like to be dunked in mud, so you'll want to find a relatively clean storage place. And get the handle that goes with it if yours is different. XJ's have a nice handle. TJ's use a bagged erector set-style dealio, which I suppose is fine if your LR has 19mm lug nuts. Not sure what's in a ZJ or WJ, but they're probably the same.

Good luck!
Chris

86tuning

Adventurer
Toyota pickups and SUVs also use a mechanical bottle jack that won't leak or break down. Just be sure to grab the handle too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad