Brake wear expectations? Upgrades?

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I'm not sure that a clutch on a Fuso would be more difficult or more expensive than a brake job. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IGBT

Observer
Not to thread jack too much, but you guys seem to know a lot about trucks and brakes.

On my Isuzu NRR, I have an exhaust brake but it doesn't seem to do a whole lot. The truck is a 4 speed automatic, so maybe that is why? I don't know what to expect from an exhaust brake, but it definitely does not slow me down from 30mph to 3mph in any reasonable distance and I have to use the regular brakes.

gait

Explorer
perhaps better labeled "exhaust retarder".

I use it on my Canter manual to maintain appropriate speed downhill, select the gear at which speed will be maintained. Very effective. All downhill. Particularly on slippery slope where touching brakes can create problems.

Useful in traffic, but needs a gap to vehicle in front and looking/planning/predicting well ahead. Require brakes for last bit of stopping. Heavier the traffic the more reliant on normal brakes I am.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
perhaps better labeled "exhaust retarder".

I use it on my Canter manual to maintain appropriate speed downhill, select the gear at which speed will be maintained. Very effective. All downhill. Particularly on slippery slope where touching brakes can create problems.

Useful in traffic, but needs a gap to vehicle in front and looking/planning/predicting well ahead. Require brakes for last bit of stopping. Heavier the traffic the more reliant on normal brakes I am.

You need to watch it on slippery slopes as I've had it lock up my wheels ( yes it was in 4WD low range ) , had a nice slide and had to use the winch to anchor it to a tree. Then used tree as an anchor to spin Canter around and lower down hill. There was a nice drop of about 30ft. from where I had stopped. Sorry no video, all the excitement happens when you don't have video going.

Dan.

gait

Explorer
yup, there's always limits .....

one of my scarier moments was when front wheels went for a slide, very difficult mentally to use a bit of accelerator,

fortunately the tree moved out of the way.

yabanja

Explorer
I had the back end coming around on me in four low on a slippery downhill on the last trip. Had to gas it to straighten out.... Spooky, but the speeds were so slow in four low first that gassing it didn't increase the speed all that much...

Allan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77