Brute w/ FWC on ebay

Kowboy

Adventurer
Yikes! Beautiful rig but I guess I have no concept of how much a Brute conversion costs.

Roughly, you can figure $10k for the parts and $10k for labor. Used Brute's with the stock Rubicon drivetrain sell for around $35k these days. This one has the Dana 30 front end.

Same truck. Pretty recently put together too.

Most interesting. Last thing I saw him post up on the AEV Brute forum was he was looking at adding a second, similar rig for his business and maybe doing a much-needed Hemi conversion this winter. Reckon he changed his mind.

Jeff Wanamog

Off Road Camper Guy
A little steep

Had it been a Rubicon conversion, I could see something close to that price.
Being a FWC owner, the fiberglass siding would be my choice. Branches in tight spots are taking its toll on my siding.
Now then, had it been the Hemi conversion, it would be in my driveway now and the Tacoma would have the for sale sign.
Still, it looks freakin awesome!!!!!!
Jeff

Last edited:

chadlanc

Adventurer
I'm exploring my options at the moment..

Working with t&j performance in orange to find out if the 5.7 or 6.1 hemi will be better for the brute. Just trying to figure out if adding another 20k+ is really worth it, or best to find another rig. I love my Brute & don't want to sell her, but throwing $ at it might not be the best solution for my business.

Jeff Wanamog

Off Road Camper Guy
Do your homework first.

We are in California. Leagally it can't be done. But it might depend on the referee you take the Jeep to after the swap. Some say the engine had to come in the same model vehicle, others say it has to be the same brand.

Read this:http://www.autorepair.ca.gov/80_BARResources/07_AutoRepair/Engine_Change_Guidelines.html and let me know what you think.
My last swap was a 97 Vortec V6 and a 4l60E trans into a 82 CJ7. This was done in 2005.

Jeff

We are in California. Leagally it can't be done. But it might depend on the referee you take the Jeep to after the swap. Some say the engine had to come in the same model vehicle, others say it has to be the same brand.

Read this:http://www.autorepair.ca.gov/80_BARResources/07_AutoRepair/Engine_Change_Guidelines.html and let me know what you think.
My last swap was a 97 Vortec V6 and a 4l60E trans into a 82 CJ7. This was done in 2005.

Jeff

i have also heard the engine needs to be from the same class vehicle, i.e. light suv to light suv

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur

Jeff

Have they tightened up the rules again?!?

The last engine swap I was looking at (in CA) was about a decade ago - but back then MFR didn't matter, as long as the engine being installed was from the same model year or newer, it was installed with all the control systems that it was originally designed with (IE: newer engine kept the newer controls), and 'truck' engines were not allowed to be put into 'cars' - although car engines were allowed to be put into trucks.

At least that's what the CARB geeks told me during a long series of arguments and inspections revolving around a set of headers that the emissions-geeks said were illegal - despite having an EO number, being installed in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions, and inspected & certified by the Jim Wical (?), the guy who pushed the EO cert through CARB. Took 2 flippin' years to get tags for that truck . . .

Patman

Explorer

My recent experience is...

Must be a California emissions equipped engine
Same year or newer
Same class vehicle (i.e. Light duty vs. medium duty, heavy duty)
All emissions equipment from the engine must be installed on the new vehicle, and all of the pertinent chassis emissions equipment must retained.
Everything must be functional as far as OBD(on board diagnostics) is concerned
All non OEM parts must carry a CARB Exemption for the vehicle the engine came from.

As long as you stick to these rules it is doable.

I've seen swaps get denied because the engine came from a truck, and seen them get passed when the same engine came from a car, all because of the donor vin on the receipt from the wrecker.

They are very by the book. Once had a fully functional swap in a Toyota get bounced, because the Check engine light was not correctly marked. Just had a temp "CH" label under it.

My experience and how I read the rules, I would think a Hemi from a 300 would swap legally into a TJ as they are both light duty vehicles. However I would expect a Hemi from a RAM3500 to be denied, even though they are basically the same powerplant.

chadlanc

Adventurer
hemi swaps CAN be done in california. BUT they do require a lot of hand holding and knowing the vague rules. T&J performance in Orange has done a number of them..I think mike said he has done 50.

T&J Performance
ask for Mike Barnett

Kowboy

Adventurer
I'm exploring my options at the moment..

Working with t&j performance in orange to find out if the 5.7 or 6.1 hemi will be better for the brute. Just trying to figure out if adding another 20k+ is really worth it, or best to find another rig. I love my Brute & don't want to sell her, but throwing $ at it might not be the best solution for my business.

The Brute's actually fun to drive once you yank out that anemic 6-banger and drop a Hemi in it.

But then you'll find out pretty quick how weak that Dana 30 is in the front ... and the Dana 44 in the rear ... when you do even moderate off-roading. Hard-core off-roading will then expose the weakness in the stock transfer case.

You only live once ... just keep throwin' money at it 'till you get what you want. :ylsmoke:

So

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad